Author Topic: Buying a preowned house  (Read 1845 times)

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Buying a preowned house
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:30:11 PM »
Hello all.  I'm new to the site and this is my 2nd post,  I decided to buy a preowned house coz of all the horrors that I read in constructing a new home and do not want the stress.  I already made an offer on a preowned house and my offer was accepted.  I'm meeting with the owner in 3 days to get a copy of the title so that I can check it to ensure that the title is legitimate, it has no liens and all dues and taxes are paid off. 
My question is about home inspection.  I tried to goggle "home inspection" with negative results.  I cannot find any firm that performs home inspection anywhere in the Philippines.  Do any of you guys knows anyone who does this job?  Also, any tips on buying a preowned house?  I'm located in Paranaque and the house that I am buying is located in Tagaytay.  Any tips is appreciated.   

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Buying a preowned house
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 06:57:03 PM »
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:04:52 PM »
Hello all.  I'm new to the site and this is my 2nd post,  I decided to buy a preowned house coz of all the horrors that I read in constructing a new home and do not want the stress.  I already made an offer on a preowned house and my offer was accepted.  I'm meeting with the owner in 3 days to get a copy of the title so that I can check it to ensure that the title is legitimate, it has no liens and all dues and taxes are paid off. 
My question is about home inspection.  I tried to goggle "home inspection" with negative results.  I cannot find any firm that performs home inspection anywhere in the Philippines.  Do any of you guys knows anyone who does this job?  Also, any tips on buying a preowned house?  I'm located in Paranaque and the house that I am buying is located in Tagaytay.  Any tips is appreciated.
Wow, we live in Tagaytay, where are you buying a house?   I know a couple realtors, and can ask them some questions of you'd like, one of them knows the town officials and has been a realtor for many years.  Let me know.   

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:28:09 PM »

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 07:30:18 PM »
Wow, we live in Tagaytay, where are you buying a house?   I know a couple realtors, and can ask them some questions of you'd like, one of them knows the town officials and has been a realtor for many years.  Let me know.   
It is located at Royale Tagaytay Estate.  I think it is located in Alfonso Cavite but it is along Aguinaldo Highway.  Close to Twin Lakes.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 07:43:12 PM »
At least you will be close to the Santis store at Twin Lakes.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 03:04:26 PM »
I am not a fan of buying pre-owned.  Despite the issues I had with the building of our current place that we live in...I found ways to get around them and find a good builder and am happy with what we have.

My distaste for wanting to buy used is probably unique to me, but I was raised in the home of a master builder who owned his own companies with electrician's, plumber's and builder's licenses as well as a licensed contractor.  So it was easy for me to take building trades high school and get most of those licenses also as I was at first free, and later paid labor for my dad and I learned a lot under him. 

Now in the Philippines.  The building I know does not exist here(nor is it really even a reality unless you are looking to spend an excessive amount) and what is real is concrete/cement structures.  I dealt with those but on a very small scale growing up and know that there are different qualities and levels of standards in the products used to make these buildings.  And, unlike the "wood built" style homes in the US where I can usually walk around and through a house and get a very good feel for it's construction quality...I cannot do that here.

So we went new where I was able to purchase the quality of products I wanted going into the house construction.  While the builders where less than quality(putting it very nicely), I knew the products were of the best quality.

With the utter lack of government control(ordinances, building codes reinforcements, etc) and with builders using God only knows what products....I'll go with new construction and make sure the proper stuff I paid for is delivered and know that at least when it came to the product, the house I was going to move into was going to be built good.

Scares me what I see in some homes here when it comes to quality of build and, at least to my eyes, I think bad quality is easier to cover in a cement base home than what I grew up working on in the USA.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 06:45:56 PM »
Me personally i do not like the  way they build here. Many things they overlook. Nothing compare to a western style home built for comfort. Bathroom or comfort room i do not care for. Usually the shower water runs down the floor and toilet and shower is one combine unit with water all over the floor when the shower is used. No electrical outlets in B.R. or if there is it is not GFI. protected. Minimum amount of windows. Houses too close together. No real drainage system for grey water to drain off.
Many houses i see with termite damage. That was why we decided to build our house as close to western standard as possible.
Took us awhile to finish but worth every penny we spent.
Pretty sure there are some decent homes locally built but far and few between.
As the saying goes. Your home is your castle. That is where i live and the most priotized item on my list. Hope you get a decent home. Tagatay is a nice area but gets crowded on weekends.   
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 08:33:13 PM »
When we started looking to purchase a home, we looked at a lot of already built homes, but just had the problem finding the right home in the location we wanted. So we looked around for lots in places we wanted to live in and fortunately found a reputable developer/builder by chance. They were the Ayala Corporation aka AVIDA today.
We bought our lot from Ayala and when the 50% deposit was paid, they started to build our home in Sta Rosa, Laguna in 1999. We moved into our new home on Jan of 2000. We've been living in our home since then and we are still enjoying our retirement lifestyle. Our mortgage has been paid off 5 yrs ago. We couldn't have done that had we retired in the U.S. let alone maintain 2 homes, one in N. Cal and here in the Philippines.Just as well, since we have no plans returning to the U.S., except for just on vacations, if I'm still able to travel since I'm now into my Golden Years and hate those long flights, but I'm still in good health though. "Knock on Wood".
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:55:28 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 10:38:18 AM »
Thanks for all the input.  I met the seller a couple of days ago and we did a complete walk around of the property (with my niece and her husband) and found plenty of stuff to fix.  Although they were minor defects, they were just too many and the seller were not willing to fix them.  So I decided to back out of the deal.  Good thing that I did not sign or have given them the earnest money yet.  So now, I'm back to square one.  Although I read a lot of stress in building, I have decided to build. 

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 02:22:07 PM »
balutsky,
I heavily suggest you take your time and find a good builder.  Even if it takes an extra year.  In the end it will be worth it.  I could have stayed in a local apartment for my first year and probably would have found the guy I have now and saved a major list of headaches. 

This goes beyond building quality to workers quality to work ethic and more.  So many problems I had with the original builders, and then next ones would not have happened with the guys that finished it and that I have the number of now if I would have just waited that year. 

Understand you circumstances might not allow.  But if they do, try and wait and find the good builders.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:21:26 AM by JoeLP »
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 06:12:51 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  I met the seller a couple of days ago and we did a complete walk around of the property (with my niece and her husband) and found plenty of stuff to fix.  Although they were minor defects, they were just too many and the seller were not willing to fix them.  So I decided to back out of the deal.  Good thing that I did not sign or have given them the earnest money yet.  So now, I'm back to square one.  Although I read a lot of stress in building, I have decided to build.
Good you backed out of that deal. Just drive around the Tagaytay area and see for yourself and see what's available. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
Friends/neighbor of ours does have I recall a 400 sq mtr lot at Royle Pines West for P3.7 million.

http://tinyurl.com/mu49jcv

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tagaytay+royal+pines+west
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:42:48 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 07:01:09 PM »
Good you backed out of that deal. Just drive around the Tagaytay area and see for yourself and see what's available. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
Friends/neighbor of ours does have I recall a 400 sq mtr lot at Royle Pines West for P3.7 million.

http://tinyurl.com/mu49jcv

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tagaytay+royal+pines+west

Thanks Art.

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 07:58:58 PM »
balutsky,
I heavily suggest you take your time and find a good builder.  Even if it takes an extra year.  In the end it will be worth it.  I could have stayed in a local apartment for my first year and probably would have found the guy I have now and saved a major list of headaches. 

This goes beyond building quality to workers quality to work ethic and more.  So many problems I had with the original buildings, and then next ones would not have happened with the guys that finished it and that I have the number of now if I would have just waited that year. 

Understand you circumstances might not allow.  But if they do, try and wait and find the good builders.
Thanks JoeLP.  If you are located in or near Cavite, maybe you can share your builder's contact number with me when the time comes

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog