Living in The Philippines > Philippine Culture, Filipino Family Relationships

Showing Off

(1/4) > >>

FastWalk:
I found this last year that I had a problem (in Philippines),  maybe because of not showing off (enough).  Not telling all the details cause still fixing it.  Problem will be solved and I think I will end up better off on all categories.   Now your scratching your head,  and thinking what that heck....

The question/topic is what differences compared to other places in the world if any do you see in the need to show off your position(s) or situations so that others and organization give you fair treatment in the phills?  We found it can be a problem to be too quiet.. ;)

Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am:
Don't show off that you're a person or family of wealth,
you could be targeted to be robbed and or killed, unless
you can afford a few 24/7 armed security body guards.   

FastWalk:

--- Quote from: Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am on May 16, 2017, 03:56:40 AM ---Don't show off that you're a person or family of wealth,
you could be targeted to be robbed and or killed, unless
you can afford a few 24/7 armed security body guards.

--- End quote ---

Art,  That is of course solid advice !! 

We usually are quiet for that reason and also its just our way.   It resulted in other foreigners trying to take advantage,  when we are way.  ppl we did not know.  It was finally explained to me that the local ppl viewed the others as more important..., cause they show off much :(

trevor:
Showing off is a way of life here, by the locals. As a foreigner i try to be invisible and keep as low a profile as i can. Well living in the province and in a small town that is not too possible as everyone knows everyone else.
So i just often smile and give a nod, show respect and not be a loud mouth. If something does not pleases me i let the wife deal with it.
So far no problem.

Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am:

--- Quote from: trevor on May 18, 2017, 11:09:42 AM ---Showing off is a way of life here, by the locals. As a foreigner i try to be invisible and keep as low a profile as i can. Well living in the province and in a small town that is not too possible as everyone knows everyone else.
So i just often smile and give a nod, show respect and not be a loud mouth. If something does not pleases me I let the wife deal with it.
So far no problem.

--- End quote ---
That's a good attitude to have. A few years ago, I knew of a guy from Norway and he was the obnoxious and loud mouth type to most Filipinos he had dealings with.
One day there came a knocking at his front door. His maid opened the door and 3 masked intruders made it into the home. They subdued the foreigner and shot him once point blank to his forehead and the intruders left immediately. The maid and his girlfriend was left unharmed and nothing was taken from the home.
The incident never made the local news or social media. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version