Author Topic: Crazy Electricity!  (Read 1343 times)

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Crazy Electricity!
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:06:20 AM »
Does anyone else keep getting little electric shocks from switches and appliances? I keep getting 'bitten' out of the blue if I touch electrical things without shoes on.

Or do I need an electrician to visit?  :D
^^ Just my personal opinion... take it or leave it!

Offline RDS284

Re: Crazy Electricity!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:28:44 PM »
I think you may need an electrician !!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
More than likely the electrical system for your house is not grounded.  Normal for here.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »
More than likely the electrical system for your house is not grounded.  Normal for here.

Chuck

Can I get an electrician to get it grounded somehow? Excuse my complete ignorance about all things electrical...  :D

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 09:37:27 PM »
Do you own your house or is it rented?  I ask only to see who should be responsible for the costs of sorting out your electrical system.
Agree that the problem is probably down to inadequate grounding.  Does it happen all over the house or just one or two receptacles?  Definitely need an electrician to check it out.
Londoner at heart

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 10:22:27 PM »
Yes you can have it fixed by a reliable electrician but it might be expensive as it may require the running of a third leg to all outlets and switches if that was not done when the home was built. Also my guess is that your appliances do not have a third leg on the plug so the running of a ground wire from the appliance to the ground on the outlet or elsewhere would also be necessary too. We had the same issue in our Cebu condo, we make sure to always wear indoor slippers (we change to those when we get home) and then no more problem.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 11:48:03 PM »
HappyBee, I was getting electrical shocks when touching my fridge, it turned out that my fridge fan wires were burned and touch the frame so when I had bare feet I'd get shocks, so there's probably a worn wire shorting out and causing these shocks.  This could apply to any appliance so if you notice wich appliance is causing this I'd have someone look at it or even the wall socket also could have a short due to leaking from the roof or the plugin is located in a spot where you might have a dripping hand towel or utensil above the socket.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 12:57:19 AM »
This is why its important to have RCD's installed in your house electric system.
Londoner at heart

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 05:56:24 PM »
Great - thanks everyone for all the info :)

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog