Author Topic: Equifax hacked affects those from the U.S.  (Read 707 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
Equifax hacked affects those from the U.S.
« on: September 15, 2017, 09:32:02 PM »
So those of you from the U.S. might wish to freeze your credit, more information at the link below, I have frozen my credit and my wife's by calling each of the credit reporting agencies, not doing so is probably gambling that those that got the information will not sell it or use it.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/09/13/how-freeze-your-credit-protect-your-identity/657304001/

To place a freeze on your credit reports, you need to call the credit reporting companies. There are three big ones — Equifax, Experian and TransUnion — and one smaller one, Innovis. Litan recommends freezing your credit at all four. Here are the numbers to call:

Equifax — 1-800-349-9960
Experian — 1‑888‑397‑3742
TransUnion — 1-888-909-8872
Innovis — 1-800-540-2505
The scary part of the identity theft is that companies like Equifax have ALL your information, whatever you have put on any credit form anytime during your life will likely be in the file that was stolen, so the thief can now impersonate you if they wish to, so besides getting credit, they can do just about anything on the phone that you can do, call up and tell banks and credit cards that they are you and identify themselves as you, except they may not have the code on the back of you atm card but maybe they do, I am not sure. Now think about that for a minute, you have an investment account, bank accounts, credit card accounts and someone might be able to use a machine to make it look like they are calling from your phone number to those and call into any of those places which are all listed on your credit report and impersonate you. I know that when I call into some places they know it is me by my phone number, then they will ask the usual questions and then likely give me access to my account, so what happens when an impersonator calls in and tells them that for some reason they are unable to sign into their (your) account and gains access, quite possibly you lose all you have in those accounts, or the impersonator transfers all your money, sells your investments, sells your home as if they were you, or just about anything else, getting fake id with their photo and your name and relevant information on the id is very easy nowadays.

I hope you guys and gals can now see why it is important to freeze your files and I wish you all luck, I feel this hack is the worst thing that could have happened to any of us during our lifetime.

BTW I called in and did all four of mine for free, I also did my wife's but for some reason TransUnion and Experian charged us $10 each to do those and the other two were free, IMO $20 well spent.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
Re: Equifax hacked affects those from the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:46:37 PM »
I had a freeze put on with Equifax, TransUnion and Innovis online.  Esperian wouldn't complete the freeze online.  When I did it Equifax and Innovis were free.  TransUnion was $10.  Esperian was going to be $10.  I live full time in the PHL but used my last U.S. address.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog