Author Topic: Finally, was able to buy a new car, yay :)  (Read 3390 times)

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
Finally, was able to buy a new car, yay :)
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »
Hi,

Part of this tale has to do with banking, as it is about getting a a new car loan, but it has to do with cars, so it is up to the admins if it stays here or is moved to the banking section ;)

This all started last October. I went to a Toyota dealer here in BGC to see how much new cars cost. With all of our expenses and incomes I saw that what we wanted, needed, and what we can afford are very different. In the end I decided on an Avanza, 1.5 litre, automatic transmission, for just under 1,000,000 Php. I decided as my wife, who is a true Pinay ;) lol, needed convincing that we needed a car.

That is when our trials and tribulations commenced.

Before we got married I tried getting a loan through my bank, no names to protect the guilty ;) lol. They refused, along with several others, even ones that the Toyota dealer tried even after we got married, and showed the proof of it. We never gave up and finally one bank, after applying online where my wife has had an account for a while, said yes.

Now comes the learning about how things are done here, which was quite different from everything that I am used to in Canada where I am from.

We first had to get a P.O. sent from the bank to the dealer, which was modified several times until both parties were happy with it. Then we had to get the dealer to, as they put it, start the reservation. They put our request and name on a waiting list, and told us it would take about a month to a month and a half to get the unit. Well, two months later and nothing was happening. The dealer kept saying wait wait wait. So I sent an email to the customer care of Toyota and then things started happening.

The dealer told us that we were not in a waiting list for the making of the car, only to see if one becomes available with out specifications. Huh? They finally found one, not in the colour that we wanted, and put a reservation on it. When they got it at the dealership we went to finally sign some papers, and to see if it was what we could live with. The dealer then had to send the unit details to the bank, telling us that everything with the bank had to be settled in 5 working days or the car would be released to somebody else.

Then started another long story. We had to deal with the usual issue of my wife earning a low salary, me being a foreigner, and me being over 60, even though I am still working and earning enough to cover everything. Again, back and forth and emails and texts between us and the bank. Meanwhile the dealer kept telling us to hurry up or they will let the car go. Our stress levels, needless to say, skyrocketed for several days, until the bank finally said, ok.

They emailed the ATD, authorisation to deliver, to the dealer, where we signed some more papers, and were then told we have to wait 12 working days for the LTO to register the vehicle. It turned out that the LTO was not taking as long as that, it was only 5 working days, and we had to pick up the car right away. The dealership was quite insistent on it.

So, now we have a new car, we are enjoying the freedom that it brings, even if I still have to convince my wife to actually use it sometimes ;) lol.

We are looking forward to day trips, weekend trips, and just getting around town, not during the work week usually, and not during rush hour if we can avoid it ;)

Well, that's our tale, hopefully our trials and tribulations help others out there to learn about buying a new car here.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Thomas

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Finally, was able to buy a new car, yay :)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 02:30:03 PM »
do you and your wife have current drivers' license?  that's what we did today. 

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »
congratulations.  the new car deserves a name.  how will you call it?

Online David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 04:44:40 PM »
do you and your wife have current drivers' license?  that's what we did today.

Be interested to know how that went, what was required for your drivers license and what type of visa you are on.
Londoner at heart

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 05:33:55 PM »
Be interested to know how that went, what was required for your drivers license and what type of visa you are on.

Go here and everything it says pertaining to foreigners works as advertised.  He will have to answer your question on his visa though.

https://goo.gl/uC75Pe
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »
Got our new car a year ago.  Luckily went a lot smoother than what you went through.  Went to dealer got the vehicle type, price, etc and contacted the branch manager to secure a loan.  The loan took a couple of days to process, being age 68 at that time max term was 3 years with 25% down payment versus 20%.  The bank and the dealership did all the leg work I just signed the loan at the bank and of course the paperwork at the dealership.  Total process 7-10 days. Car was in stock in the country.  Drove the car of the lot immediately and was advised I could drive anywhere for 7 days then only in our prov after that until we received the OR/CR from LTO that took about 3 months.  LTO saying it was dealers fault and dealer blaming LTO.  Our temp plates end in a 5 and my OR/CR plates end in a 0.  It appears the dealer liked to batch process the paper work and send a couple moths at the same time.  Question is can I drive in Manila on Wednesday with my 5 plate and just show the authorities my OR/CR that says my plate ends in 0. ;D

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »
Go here and everything it says pertaining to foreigners works as advertised.  He will have to answer your question on his visa though.

https://goo.gl/uC75Pe

Actually the the one year requirement for foreigners seems to be enforced at some offices and not at others.  Normal for the Philippines.  I got mine a year ago when the year requirement was in effect and denied at one office and drove to another office in the prov and got issued a license, :o  Had a BB stamp.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 09:22:20 PM »
we obtained drivers license when we came in 2012 which was good for 3 years then. 
we came back last week.
our licenses are expired and my husband's  license has been lost.
lto required medical exam for both of us and affidavit of loss for the lost license.  he is on bb stamp  but lto never asked for passport nor visa. 
we paid a penalty of 75 pesos per year (expired period), 150 pesos each. 
but we got our license (without plastic lamination) before noon today.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:48:09 PM »
Actually the the one year requirement for foreigners seems to be enforced at some offices and not at others.  Normal for the Philippines.  I got mine a year ago when the year requirement was in effect and denied at one office and drove to another office in the prov and got issued a license, :o  Had a BB stamp.

Chuck

I don't know about the different visas at different offices since mine is indefinite and it worked as it says at the Biñan office.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 10:00:17 PM »

This all started last October. I went to a Toyota dealer here in BGC to see how much new cars cost. With all of our expenses and incomes I saw that what we wanted, needed, and what we can afford are very different. In the end I decided on an Avanza, 1.5 litre, automatic transmission, for just under 1,000,000 Php. I decided as my wife, who is a true Pinay ;) lol, needed convincing that we needed a car.

Congratulations, sounds like a great car. 

- Things I was thinking about as I read this;
--  Why Toyota ?
--  (if it is ok to ask) Did wife want a used car instead or to continue with commuting ?  I know sometimes my wife and I have different idea of what we need :)

I am thinking we will have a multi cab for work/hauling/sharing,  etc...   and one car (of some type, maybe small pickup new or used not sure) for occasional emergency use while often commuting and a short list of local drivers we know in cell phone that can come get me/us at any time.  Have not decided about a motorcycle yet, although have always had large street bikes my whole life.
“Old men do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“Keep on rocking in the free world”

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 04:02:40 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the congrats.

I am the only one with a driver's license. Because of the new ruling last year I am still only with my license from Canada. Once I get my permanent residence visa, 13G I believe it is, then I will be able to get a local license. I live in Metro Manila and so have to go to the main office of the LTO in QC, which enforces all rules and regulations.

The car will not be used for commuting. We will use it in off hours or weekends.

Why Toyota? I have owned Toyotas for 14 years and I like their cars and service.

It was my decision, with the agreement of my wife of course ;), to buy a new car. I really don't want the hassles that come with used cars.

As far as I know, the last digit of the plate number determines which day the car cannot be used on the major roads in the Metro Manila area, and in some municipalities. If the car does not have it's permanent plate then the sticker number is to be used, according to the LTO.

Thomas

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 05:04:30 AM »
Once I get my permanent residence visa, 13G I believe it is, then I will be able to get a local license. I live in Metro Manila and so have to go to the main office of the LTO in QC, which enforces all rules and regulations.
Hi Tom, I believe 13G is for returning Filipinos. I think the one you need is 13A.

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 07:59:16 AM »

..I am still only with my license from Canada. Once I get my permanent residence visa, 13G I believe it is, then I will be able to get a local license...

Just an FYI.  Driving on a foreign driver's license in the PHL is only valid for 90 days.

If you drive without a valid driver's license (past the 90 days), your car insurance will be void.

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
Hi Tom, I believe 13G is for returning Filipinos. I think the one you need is 13A.

13a for spouse of Filipinos.  13g for Filipinos and their spouses when Filipinos have acquired foreign citizenship?  that is my understanding.  does anyone have the BI link?  we'll also apply for one soon.

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »
Hi,

Here is the link for the LTO site with info on converting driver licenses:
http://lto.gov.ph/license-permit-issuance/284-non-professional-driver-s-license.html

Here is the catch 22 line:
In addition, for foreigners, original and photocopy of passport with entry of at least one (1) month and visa duration of at least one (1) year from date of application, or if born in the Philippines, present original and photocopy of birth certificate duly authenticated by the NSO.

From what I have heard, read, insurance, in my case, is still valid as the car and insurance is in my wife's name, not mine.

The Visa number can be discussed elsewhere, in the visa section of the forum, suffice it to say that as of now I have a probationary permanent residence visa, 13A, which expires, before which date we will have to apply for a non-probationary permanent visa for me. Once I have that, without any expiry date, I hope, I can then convert my driver's license to a local one.

Thomas

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog