Author Topic: Finally, was able to buy a new car, yay :)  (Read 2686 times)

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
Re: Finally, was able to buy a new car, yay :)
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 01:02:09 PM »

...From what I have heard, read, insurance, in my case, is still valid as the car and insurance is in my wife's name, not mine...

Read your insurance policy.  It'll say that the driver must have a valid driver's license.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 02:21:53 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the congrats.

I am the only one with a driver's license. Because of the new ruling last year I am still only with my license from Canada. Once I get my permanent residence visa, 13G I believe it is, then I will be able to get a local license. I live in Metro Manila and so have to go to the main office of the LTO in QC, which enforces all rules and regulations.

- - - removed - - -

Thomas

If you rather not go to Quezon City then you might check on where you can go.  To my knowledge, all it has to be is one of the main offices for your initial license.  Not a renewal office.  I live in southern Metro and I wasn't about to go to QC if I could help it.  I did it at Biñan in Laguna with Parañaque address on it.  That office is not the most comfortable though and I keeping hearing the one in Imus is the lap of luxury which is where I probably should have gone to begin with.  But I would imagine you would have other options up your way than QC.  Like I said, if you would rather not go to that one.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 03:10:58 PM »
we obtained drivers license when we came in 2012 which was good for 3 years then. 
we came back last week.
our licenses are expired and my husband's  license has been lost.
lto required medical exam for both of us and affidavit of loss for the lost license.  he is on bb stamp  but lto never asked for passport nor visa. 
we paid a penalty of 75 pesos per year (expired period), 150 pesos each. 
but we got our license (without plastic lamination) before noon today.

You are comparing apples and oranges.  You and your husbanded renew an expired license, while the one year requirement for foreigners is for the initial license.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 10:49:05 PM »

As far as I know, the last digit of the plate number determines which day the car cannot be used on the major roads in the Metro Manila area, and in some municipalities. If the car does not have it's permanent plate then the sticker number is to be used, according to the LTO.

They had a system like that when I lived in Manila in the late 1990s-early 2000s.  They called it "color coding".  I never figured out what it had to do with color.  It looked more like "number coding".  We bought 2 cars with appropriately varied numbers so that we could always drive one of them.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 09:37:02 AM »
Hi,

Here is the link for the LTO site with info on converting driver licenses:
http://lto.gov.ph/license-permit-issuance/284-non-professional-driver-s-license.html

Here is the catch 22 line:
In addition, for foreigners, original and photocopy of passport with entry of at least one (1) month and visa duration of at least one (1) year from date of application, or if born in the Philippines, present original and photocopy of birth certificate duly authenticated by the NSO.

From what I have heard, read, insurance, in my case, is still valid as the car and insurance is in my wife's name, not mine.

The Visa number can be discussed elsewhere, in the visa section of the forum, suffice it to say that as of now I have a probationary permanent residence visa, 13A, which expires, before which date we will have to apply for a non-probationary permanent visa for me. Once I have that, without any expiry date, I hope, I can then convert my driver's license to a local one.

Thomas

Think you can get the license with the probationary 13a, since it is the first step in long term stay.  Your current ACR-I card should suffice as proof for issuance of a license. Worth the try to get a valid license. I just renewed my car insurance policy recently and it does state coverage is void if driver is not currently licensed to drive.  By law here your foreign license was valid for 90 days from entry.  So coverage might not be enforce if you have an accident. Still reading on forums and FB groups that not all LTO offices are requiring the one year for foreigners.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog