Author Topic: home protection, does it ever cross you mind that you might need something?  (Read 3457 times)

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: home protection, does it ever cross you mind that you might need something?
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2017, 04:55:46 AM »
Yes we are, learning that you're like a dog with bone, just won't give it up.

You feel that I am attacking you.  Not so.

In 2009  I was running a laboratory with my wife, on a small island.

A large natural disaster occurred.  A situation identical to St.  Maarten.  I've been there.  Lovely, peaceful, serene place.

I spent the first day helping people, and tending to the injured.  There were a lot.  Once things stabilized I made my way home.

At night the gangs came.  Killed our dogs outright.  They were locust, stealing everything.  Food, water, and tools.  Hell they even took the Garden Gnome.

I met them at our front door.  I had my daughter's aluminum baseball bat.

We were lucky.  The doorway was a bottle-neck.  We came very close to dying that first night.  It took the authorities days to get control. 

Have you ever lived under siege?

Months later a greedy little man, made desperate by the disaster, attacked me with a machete.  Came close to decapitation.  I spent a long time in hospital.

It has taken a lot of soul searching to reconcile the truth.  See,  we believed then as you do now.

What happened in 2009, what is happening in the Caribbean now,  is not unique.  It is normal

Yes,  I am tenacious.  I would save you, and everyone one else, that experience.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:05:07 AM by lost_in_samoa »

Offline Pelican

My advice is too late, but wanted to bridge the common confusion with language in general.  A Brit and an American argue endlessly because their vernacular is different.  Yes, its English, but its 'their' English.  Likewise, our Westernized English is different than Filipino English.  Our use of idioms is constant and it is not possible to really understand half of what we chatter about to Filipinos.  That being said, I need to be sharply aware of being straightforward, and not sarcastic with my home grown witticisms and analogies which can wreak havoc on friendships.  :)

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »
Our home in PH is in Bagong Silang, the largest barangay in Metro Manila. Not sure which of my self protection items made you react, the cut down baseball bat, bolos, dog or me thinking my brother might like to have a pistol to protect the family and his sari sari. Where do you live and what form of self protection do you use?

Bagong Silang is da hood. No offense. Just vouching for you. Right between Kalookan and SJDM. Not to mention the massive Rizal mega-skwater relocation not far away. And then there is Mangga!

If I recall, the majority of the drug executions happened right in that part of town.
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline Bisaya gyud

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2018, 05:31:36 AM »
I agree that one shouldn't rely primarily on dogs for defense from intruders, since they can be easily poisoned, clubbed etcetera. Though they can be quite useful as "early warning systems" with their barking.

Pepper gel/spray and stun guns are useful and pretty reliable for defensive purposes, and can be legally purchased, possessed and carried in a lot of places. I've seen them for sale at some malls, stores and street vendors.

I'm hoping to help my little lady get a LTOPF (License To Own and Possess Firearms) and a Glock 9mm next year.
Visayas * Cebu * Leyte

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog