Author Topic: Craft Beer  (Read 4966 times)

Offline David690

• Sr Member
Re: Craft Beer
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 12:15:15 AM »
Does anyone know anything about Amstel?  I am trying to figure out if that is the same beer that I was thinking of that was popular in Spanish ports back in the 70s.  I didn't know much about it except that it kept most everyone on the can.  I was trying to check it out now in Google to make sure I don't get a hold of any in the Philippines by mistake but for some reason, it doesn't look like the same stuff I am talking about.  I see that this is from Netherlands, which of course it could be sold in Spain but the stuff I am talking about really looked like and was some cheapo beer.  Well, whatever it was, it would be best for all to stay away from it.

I think you must be mistaking Amstel for a different beer. Amstel is a Dutch beer and is pretty popular most parts of Europe.  I quite like it and usually keep cans of Amstel and Red Horse in the fridge in equal number.
Londoner at heart

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 07:53:43 AM »
Does anyone know anything about Amstel?  I am trying to figure out if that is the same beer that I was thinking of that was popular in Spanish ports back in the 70s.  I didn't know much about it except that it kept most everyone on the can.  I was trying to check it out now in Google to make sure I don't get a hold of any in the Philippines by mistake but for some reason, it doesn't look like the same stuff I am talking about.  I see that this is from Netherlands, which of course it could be sold in Spain but the stuff I am talking about really looked like and was some cheapo beer.  Well, whatever it was, it would be best for all to stay away from it.

BudM,

You are not mistaken about Amstel, it was sold in Spain during the '70s and yes it was known to give some of us the runs.  I was stationed in Europe from Apr 68 to Jun 73 on my 1st European tour and was TDY to Spain for 3 months in '70.  Heineken bought Amstel in 1968.  Not sure if Amstel had a brewery jn Spain like San Miguel did.  To this day I only drink Amstel if it is the only beer available and even then might change to wine or hard liquor instead.

Chuck
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:52:19 PM by bigrod »
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
I think you must be mistaking Amstel for a different beer. Amstel is a Dutch beer and is pretty popular most parts of Europe.  I quite like it and usually keep cans of Amstel and Red Horse in the fridge in equal number.

Sorry about that.  Thanks for straightening me out on it.  I originally thought Netherlands would make it Dutch and I thought Spain was in Europe.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 01:26:17 PM »
BudM,

You are not mistaken about Amstel, it was sold in Spain during the '70s and yes it was know to give some of us the runs.  I was stationed in Europe from Apr 68 to Jun 73 on my 1st European tour and was TDY to Spain for 3 months in '70.  Heineken bought Amstel in 1968.  Not sure if Amstel had a brewery jn Spain like San Miguel did.  To this day I only drink Amstel if it is the only beer available and even then might change to wine or hard liquor instead.

Chuck

Yeah, so it was after all.  During 73-74 and I was in and out of Rota several times plus two full weeks in '76 along with a couple of times in Barcelona and Valencia earlier.  It did not agree with a lot of guys I knew and I haven't touched it since.  According to what you and the other guy said, it appears to be in the Philippines but I will pass on it.  Thanks for the info Chuck.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 10:12:03 PM »
Sorry about that.  Thanks for straightening me out on it.  I originally thought Netherlands would make it Dutch and I thought Spain was in Europe.

Yes agreed, I didn't explain myself very well at all did I.  I guess I meant...... yes it is a beer from Holland and is very popular and widely drunk throughout Europe, and probably other parts of the world as well.  If it was indeed the beer that you were describing, I'm thinking it wouldn't be so popular.  I definitely prefer it to Heineken, which gives me a sore head.
Londoner at heart

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 06:45:38 AM »
Amstel does not rate high on the following beer rating sights.  Each person has their own preference for most things.  Having lived in Europe for 9+ years back in the '60s to the early '80s I never saw Amstel as a major market holder in most countries.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/163/1414/

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/amstel-lager/38/1/2/

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 11:45:25 PM »
Yes agreed, I didn't explain myself very well at all did I.  I guess I meant...... yes it is a beer from Holland and is very popular and widely drunk throughout Europe, and probably other parts of the world as well.  If it was indeed the beer that you were describing, I'm thinking it wouldn't be so popular.  I definitely prefer it to Heineken, which gives me a sore head.

I did not see it around very much except it sure was popular in Spain.  At least where I was but that was probably because the clientele liked cheap beer.  The preferences of the guys I knew though would have a negative effect on the beer ratings, if they had participated in them, as that stuff kept them stuck to the can.

I have to stay off the subject of cheap beer as not to wander off the subject of this thread since it is about craft beers which I assume are fine beers like fine wine.  I am not much of a beer drinker or wine drinker for that matter so I do not know much about anything but cheap beer.