Author Topic: Is there anybody out there?  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Rick B

Is there anybody out there?
« on: January 09, 2008, 11:09:59 PM »
Hi my name is rick bowden i leave uk for davao in 1 weeks time. We have our place in Bangkal and i have been there many times but this time we are going there to live. Anybody in this blog live in Davao? and are there any get together meetings there in davao, i have looked at this blog and in the past Bob Martin\'s blog who writes an interesting magazine blog.

I was just wondering how many people from this blog were in Davao? all the very best

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
Re: Is there anybody out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:49:44 AM »
Hi. I\'ve been living in Davao for almost five years now, and I love the place. There\'s a group here called the Union of Foreigners that has regular meetings and social events, though I\'ve never joined. There\'s not a large expat community here, but everyone does seem to know everyone else and the community is large enough that it\'s pretty easy to find people with whom you are compatible.

If you want to send me an email, I would be happy to give you my phone number and to introduce you to a few Davao expats once you arrive.

Offline Rick B

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:43:03 PM »
Michael

Thank you for the reply, i will e mail you and thank you for the invitation to phone you it will be very helpful. I don\'t want to particularly get into an ex pat only huddle but it will help me make a transition, which although i am looking forward to i know it will be a hurdle to cross

thanks again Michael and anybody else please post a reply

Offline philippinediver

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:21:08 PM »
Thats really great Rick. I too am moving there sometime in April. I am looking forward to playing lots of golf and do some fishing and diving if I can find a group to go out with. Like yourself I don\'t know anyone there either. I like the idea to having ex-pat friends as I find there are many cultural differences with Filipinos so a mixture of the two is ideal and the best of both worlds for me

See you around then and perhaps see you as well Michael

Offline Rick B

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 06:36:44 PM »
Philippinediver

Again thanks for the reply.....please contact me by e mail on my profile and i would be happy to meet up with you in april, i will have been there for a few months by then. I also plan to play golf, although i\'m only a beginner, more a squash and tennis man myself, but golf is good for outdoors and i played there once a few years ago and think i will take it up.

See you in april, best regards

rick

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 06:55:49 AM »
Thats really great Rick. I too am moving there sometime in April. I am looking forward to playing lots of golf and do some fishing and diving if I can find a group to go out with. Like yourself I don\'t know anyone there either. I like the idea to having ex-pat friends as I find there are many cultural differences with Filipinos so a mixture of the two is ideal and the best of both worlds for me

Sure. I\'m a diver as well and you would be welcome in our group. It\'s easy to dive here as much as you like and quite inexpensive, especially if you have your own gear. As I said in my prior post, I\'d be glad to give you my phone number so you can make contact once you arrive. Just send me an email and I\'ll respond with the number. I don\'t golf, but I have several friends who do and I would be happy to introduce you to them as well. It\'s not very difficult to find a foursome here.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 08:10:12 AM »

Sure. I\'m a diver as well and you would be welcome in our group. It\'s easy to dive here as much as you like and quite inexpensive, especially if you have your own gear. As I said in my prior post, I\'d be glad to give you my phone number so you can make contact once you arrive. Just send me an email and I\'ll respond with the number. I don\'t golf, but I have several friends who do and I would be happy to introduce you to them as well. It\'s not very difficult to find a foursome here.

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum. Just a small note though. When using the \'QUOTE\' function, you should add your comment after the (quote) marks otherwise, as you can see below, your message is inside the quote box & members can\'t see which was from you.

Sounds like quite a party you guys are getting together though

Offline Maldito

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 06:04:05 AM »
Gday to you guys;I have been living in General Santos for over a year now(with a couple of trips back to Oz),and can recommend coming down from Davao for a weekend or whatever to dive.There Are a couple of guys here that take trips out and there are quite a few foreigners there that drink at the Hotel that the main Dive tour guy owns.If you are interested then email me at marlin@beer.com and I will give you some more details..Cheers,Geoff.

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 06:16:09 AM »
Hi my name is rick bowden i leave uk for davao in 1 weeks time. We have our place in Bangkal and i have been there many times but this time we are going there to live. Anybody in this blog live in Davao? and are there any get together meetings there in davao, i have looked at this blog and in the past Bob Martin\'s blog who writes an interesting magazine blog.

I was just wondering how many people from this blog were in Davao? all the very best

I\'ve been living in Davao for more than four years and really enjoy the city. There\'s an interesting expat community here, but it\'s not nearly as large as the communities in Manila or Cebu. There\'s also a group that used to be called the Union of Foreigners but changed its name recently. I\'m not active in the group though I\'m on its mailing list, and it does seem to have meetings very regularly. If you send me an email, I would be happy to give you my phone number and to introduce you to some people here.

Offline BoBHofmans

Is there anybody out there?
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 09:39:42 PM »
What about Cagayan de Oro City? Anybody living here, going here, having a gf/novia/penpal here?
Bob
Bob
Dutchman, married to Ethel, cutest Pinay
7 summer months working 24/7 at the Costa Brava, Spain
5 wintermonths relaxing & building houses in CDO City

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:15:24 PM »
What about Cagayan de Oro City? Anybody living here, going here, having a gf/novia/penpal here?
Bob

Don\'t know if this counts, but I go there several times a year on business. It\'s a lovely town and would be my second choice of places to live in Mindanao after Davao. It\'s got everything, and it\'s an attractive place.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog