Author Topic: Holiday Parties  (Read 652 times)

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Holiday Parties
« on: December 23, 2017, 06:44:55 AM »
I quit frequenting bars (except on very rare occasion) back in the early 80s.

I stopped bar hopping in 1990.

Like Bud we do not hang in the clubs, back in the mid 80's I discovered that I was allergic to alcohol. 

Every time I drink the stuff I break out in handcuffs.

We do not celebrate Christmas as it is presented to us.  Santa, Elves,  decorated pine trees, and all of the "buy this to show them you love them" non-sense. 

All of that crap was created, from a mishmash of early European pagan mythology, as a marketing tool. 

We have a get together of select family.  Those who have demonstrated worth or ability.  We feast and share in each other's company.  Then we give thanks  to Jesus, and for his birth.

This year we are Lechon roasting a baboy.

We do sincerely wish that everyone one here has a Merry Christmas.

Salamat Po
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:07:50 AM by lost_in_samoa »

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Holiday Parties
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 06:50:49 AM »
Looks yummy, hope you and all LitPF readers have a great holiday season and an even better 2018.

I am not much for parties either but the wife and I have made some good friends over the years by going to some get together's in the Philippines, so we will always be thankful for those we met along the way.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 10:27:15 PM »
My parents did the presents thing until us kids all reached 18, then it stopped.  For whatever reason, it was a holiday for the kids to them.  So, it's been over 2 decades since the presents went around in my family.

Like you, it's only a time to get together and enjoy some family time over a meal and talk.  Granted, been in the Phils for 4+ years now and while not with that family, am with my family here and it's the same thing.  Big meal and talk time.  I do enjoy it more.  Do not think I will get into the present thing with my boys.  Stick with the reason for the season theme down the road.

I wish also to wish a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone on here.

p.s.  Funny enough, I do give presents on Christmas day to Tina...it's also her birthday. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.......God Bless

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 08:07:17 AM »
My parents did the presents thing until us kids all reached 18, then it stopped.  For whatever reason, it was a holiday for the kids to them.  So, it's been over 2 decades since the presents went around in my family.

Like you, it's only a time to get together and enjoy some family time over a meal and talk.  Granted, been in the Phils for 4+ years now and while not with that family, am with my family here and it's the same thing.  Big meal and talk time.  I do enjoy it more.  Do not think I will get into the present thing with my boys.  Stick with the reason for the season theme down the road.

I wish also to wish a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone on here.

p.s.  Funny enough, I do give presents on Christmas day to Tina...it's also her birthday.

Yeah, that is my birthday too but unless you are in to older women, I would imagine that there is no chance that she and I were born the same year.  It kind of stunk in the present department when I was a kid.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline marshie

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 11:22:38 PM »
^My parents stopped giving us money and/or presents after we graduated. 
Table has turned and it is us who give presents to them on holidays.

Anyway, Merry Christmas, everyone!

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 05:03:03 AM »
Roast beast is in the smoker as I type...

SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »
Roast beast is in the smoker as I type...

Looks good.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog