Author Topic: Sending a letter to Manila to be picked up at the post office  (Read 188 times)

Offline andrez

Sending a letter to Manila to be picked up at the post office
« on: December 27, 2017, 10:05:58 PM »
Hello  :),

I need to send a thing (a small letter) to a person who is in Manila now, but she doesn't have a postal address where she can receive the letter. So I would like to send the letter to a post office and then she will be able to pick up the letter from them.

This service is usually known as Poste Restante: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poste_restante

Do you know if there is a service like that in Manila?

Thank you,
Andrea

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Sending a letter to Manila to be picked up at the post office
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 11:21:45 PM »
Hello  :),

I need to send a thing (a small letter) to a person who is in Manila now, but she doesn't have a postal address where she can receive the letter. So I would like to send the letter to a post office and then she will be able to pick up the letter from them.

This service is usually known as Poste Restante: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poste_restante

Do you know if there is a service like that in Manila?

Thank you,
Andrea

See #9 in the link. If you are talking about Manila as in Manila then I would say it is the Manila CPO.  If it is one of the other cities in Metro Manila, then you are looking at the CPO for that city.  If you do not know what CPO is, it is Central Post Office.

https://www.phlpost.gov.ph/page.php?id=27
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline andrez

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 03:55:58 AM »
Oh, thank you  :)

Do you know how should I to send the letter? What should I write as a recipient address?

Let's say that the postal office is the Main Office in City of Manila:
http://www.yellow-pages.ph/business/philippine-postal-corporation-14

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 08:36:35 AM »
Another option would be to send it via LBC. They can track it and send it to their closest office where your recipient can go and pick it up. You will have verification they received it.

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 10:19:02 AM »
See #9 in the link. If you are talking about Manila as in Manila then I would say it is the Manila CPO.  If it is one of the other cities in Metro Manila, then you are looking at the CPO for that city.  If you do not know what CPO is, it is Central Post Office.

https://www.phlpost.gov.ph/page.php?id=27

If you go the PhilPost route, in the next paragraph is what it says for #9.  The internet can also explain the proper format for addressing depending on if an address in Metro Manila or else in the provinces.  But, it still boils down to the name of the person and in care of for the person.

9. General Delivery Service is available for transients who have no fixed address in locality. Transients can have their mails addressed c/o General Delivery Service followed by the name of the local post office.

Offline andrez

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 04:12:50 PM »
It's still not clear how should I send the letter. For example, if I need that kind of service in Australia I'll use this format for the recipient (source):

Recipient's Full Name
    c/o Poste Restante
    GPO Adelaide
    SA 5001
    Australia

I can't find the same information for Philippines. Do you know something more about this?

Another option would be to send it via LBC. [...]

Do you know how it could cost to send a letter with LBC, from Dublin (Ireland)? It would be more than Ä5 (more or less)?

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 11:19:05 PM »
It's still not clear how should I send the letter. For example, if I need that kind of service in Australia I'll use this format for the recipient (source):

Recipient's Full Name
    c/o Poste Restante
    GPO Adelaide
    SA 5001
    Australia

I can't find the same information for Philippines. Do you know something more about this?

Do you know how it could cost to send a letter with LBC, from Dublin (Ireland)? It would be more than Ä5 (more or less)?

I am not going to guarantee any of this if it causes you problems but you might try.  If it isn't right, it should get there sooner or later.  Again, that is no guarantee by me especially if anyone is interested in whatever you are sending.

Recipient's Full Name
c/o General Mail Delivery
Liwasang Bonifacio, CPO Manila
1000 Metro Manila, NCR Philippines

The municipality of Manila has various post offices but I am pretty sure Liwasang Bonifacio is the CPO.  I don't know if you need to put the Liwasang Bonifacio part in there or not or anything else.  If anyone else knows better, let them have at it.  All I know is, I get my mail no problem but mine is direct delivery to me through the Paranaque CPO.  Except when I order up mail from my US address to which I have to go to the P'que CPO and pick it up after it goes through customs.

If no one else can gives you any other info, Google would be your best bet other than calling the CPO.

Offline andrez

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
Ok, thank you very much for all your help.  :)  :)  :)

Maybe I will try as you said. I could do a first try with a "test" letter of no value.

I tried to contact the PHLPost on Facebook but I'm still waiting for a response.

Thank you again.

Cheers,
Andrea

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 01:25:32 AM »
I tried to contact the PHLPost on Facebook but I'm still waiting for a response.

Everything is likely closed for the holidays or they are not really in work mode during the holidays and then of course comes the time difference, besides that, from what I have seen, most places in the Philippines are not known for quick replies.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline andrez

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 03:53:37 AM »
Everything is likely closed for the holidays or they are not really in work mode during the holidays and then of course comes the time difference, besides that, from what I have seen, most places in the Philippines are not known for quick replies.

Haha, ok, thank you. I will patiently wait. :D

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog