Author Topic: Introduction-Permanent Resident  (Read 965 times)

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
Introduction-Permanent Resident
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:59:16 PM »
Greetings. I am a German from the USA.

I am a 13a Permanent Resident in the Philippines, obviously, married to a Pinay.

We have 7 kids.

After 10 years of living and working in the Philippines, I am still one of the youngest Europeans I ever encounter here! Except maybe Travis Krap (his own gag).

I speak Filipino fairly well, and some Tagalog and Hiligaynon.

I have not Naturalized yet, but began the process (Letter of Intent).

I think I offer a unique perspective, and hope I can share some things.

We just came back to the US not too long ago, but are returning to the RP.

I really want some land and a house. Tired of dishing out p2,000 ever month to someone else!

Maraming salamat po kababayan!

This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline UNGGOY

Re: Introduction-Permanent Resident
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 01:21:19 PM »
I forgot to mention that all 18 of us (extended family) live here on US$300 a month.

That is likely well under budget for many?

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 08:20:10 PM »
Welcome to our friendly group.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:06:52 AM »
Greetings. I am a German from the USA.

I am a 13a Permanent Resident in the Philippines, obviously, married to a Pinay.

We have 7 kids.

After 10 years of living and working in the Philippines, I am still one of the youngest Europeans I ever encounter here! Except maybe Travis Krap (his own gag).

I speak Filipino fairly well, and some Tagalog and Hiligaynon.

I have not Naturalized yet, but began the process (Letter of Intent).

I think I offer a unique perspective, and hope I can share some things.

We just came back to the US not too long ago, but are returning to the RP.

I really want some land and a house. Tired of dishing out p2,000 ever month to someone else!

Maraming salamat po kababayan!
I forgot to mention that all 18 of us (extended family) live here on US$300 a month.

That is likely well under budget for many?

Wow!  18 on 300 bucks a month?  If that is doable, just a few on 300 bucks a month should be easy.  I am interested in checking in to that further.  You have any pics of surroundings and/or way of life?  Or elaborate on it?  By the way, what is it you are tired of dishing out p2,000 a month to someone else on?
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 12:39:42 AM »
I am going to guess he is paying p2,000 a month rent.

I second the wow on living so inexpensively, for $300 a month one would have to basically live like a local, with some western extras tossed in, such as we have sky cable basic for p299 a month.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline UNGGOY

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 01:18:31 AM »
Welcome to our friendly group.
Thank you.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 01:23:10 AM »
Welcome to the group!
Louisville, KY USA

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 06:08:13 AM »
Welcome aboard
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline UNGGOY

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
Wow!  18 on 300 bucks a month?  If that is doable, just a few on 300 bucks a month should be easy.  I am interested in checking in to that further.  You have any pics of surroundings and/or way of life?  Or elaborate on it?  By the way, what is it you are tired of dishing out p2,000 a month to someone else on?
Since I work, I have to live in Manila. So...it's metro. Nothing special. I live on the edge of MM, so it is not quite as congested, and close to province. But still close to jobs.

Yeah, the trick is being local. I actually find that interesting. Every nation I have lived in, foreigners try to become like the locals. But here, probably a majority try to live like they are still in the West. I suppose if you have the money. But it's more fun when you get down to the nitty-gritty. Sleep on the floor, eat rice seasoned with ants, never use toilet paper. To be honest, I am not a huge fan of balut or bidyoke. So I have not gone full native.

I never came to the Philippines for the chicks(not judging), I came for the simple life. As complicated as it can be, it is still simple in other ways. If I can find a good job or an idea for a business, I would love to go to the provinces. So long as there is a hospital and a mall, you have all you need to survive.

Offline UNGGOY

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 11:40:40 AM »
I am going to guess he is paying p2,000 a month rent.

I second the wow on living so inexpensively, for $300 a month one would have to basically live like a local, with some western extras tossed in, such as we have sky cable basic for p299 a month.
And we are in Metro Manila. "So expensive". $300 a month is richer than 99% of the people I know. But it can sometimes be challenging being a Westerner. I have always admired the Spartan life though. And the wife is a hut-dweller. I am more or less like a local. Middle-class. Lower-middle. Not sure how the classes work. There are rich bastards and there are skwaters. I'm somewhere above skwater. Ha ha. 2,000 rent. No Sky. I can't pay 300 a month for cable. But I did get a good antenna and invested in a fancy 4 meter pipe. So that is already nicer than most of my neighbors.

People say to always send your wife to do business. Everyone must be married to business women! My wife does not know a thing about business. She is from a bamboo hut. I do all the business myself. House-hunting, deals in the palengke. I do far better than her. One of the biggest things I am trying to work on now is finding real-estate agents to take my Pag-IBIG, becasue they are racist. If you look on their site, they are selling foreclosed properties super cheap. We'll see. 

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 07:34:59 PM »
Sort of straying off topic, but If I only had $300 a month to live on, I would prefer to be on my own living in the U.S. out on the streets or out in country side with only my ATM card, back pack, tent and sleeping bag and visit soup kitchens where available. I'll have to do without a cellphone and or health insurance since it would not be in my budget, even though I'm a Veteran. TRICARE and the VA aren't free! I would eventually die from a serious illness, penniless at my old age and alone.
Luckily that would never happen to me now, because I'm well off to date with an adequate income. This is just my worst case scenario living on $300 a month, let alone in the Philippines like the locals do.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:44:53 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline UNGGOY

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 03:44:47 AM »
Sort of straying off topic, but If I only had $300 a month to live on, I would prefer to be on my own living in the U.S. out on the streets or out in country side with only my ATM card, back pack, tent and sleeping bag and visit soup kitchens where available. I'll have to do without a cellphone and or health insurance since it would not be in my budget, even though I'm a Veteran. TRICARE and the VA aren't free! I would eventually die from a serious illness, penniless at my old age and alone.
Luckily that would never happen to me now, because I'm well off to date with an adequate income. This is just my worst case scenario living on $300 a month, let alone in the Philippines like the locals do.
Well you can't bring your $300 a month to the States. But there are jobs that pay more in America. I don't think I could work and be homeless in the USA though. Would be afraid I would be stinky at work.

Curious, the VA is free for me. Why do you have to pay?

Cell phones in America are free too.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog