Author Topic: Tandag, Mindinao  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Pelican

Tandag, Mindinao
« on: February 28, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »
I get confused as to the restricted areas, risky and those not wise to live in.   Without casting stones or polishing apples, could someone give me an opinion of settling in the city around tandag, Mindinao.  In the Air Force at Clark we were told all places in Mindinao were risky and now the President has placed Mindinao under Martial Law.   Thanks.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Tandag, Mindinao
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »
A lot of people are afraid of Mindanao, most people from north of Mindanao will tell you that Mindanao is not safe but so far in the 20 plus years my wife and I have traveled to Mindanao, we have not had any issues and the area you mentioned is no where near the ARMM where most of the issues seem to come about.

I will not give you my opinion on living in Mindanao other than to say that when deciding where we wanted to be, we decided on an area where lots of other westerners would also be, there is usually safety in numbers and we did not wish to live too close to my wife's family, I doubt there are many westerners in the area you are thinking about so maybe consider CDO or Davao if you wish to be in Mindanao.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Pelican

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
Thank you, Lee.  Your comment was quite thorough and helpful. 

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 05:48:58 AM »
I get confused as to the restricted areas, risky and those not wise to live in.   Without casting stones or polishing apples, could someone give me an opinion of settling in the city around tandag, Mindinao.  In the Air Force at Clark we were told all places in Mindinao were risky and now the President has placed Mindinao under Martial Law.   Thanks.

All of Mindanao and most of the Visayas are off-limits.

What risk you are willing to take with terrorists and rebel insurgents is up to you.

I have mostly lived in Manila, and dealt with bandits and addicts. I have been thinking about trying some places in province that have work, but it just does not seem worth it.

You have to look at a map and see what place is safest from terrorists, insurgents, bandits, typhoons, earthquakes, volcanoes, mudslides, tsunamis, floods, heatwaves, dengue, and then pick out your safe spot. Ha ha.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 05:58:51 AM by UNGGOY »
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »
I think you'd be fine if you keep "your head on a swivel".  I have lived the last 4-1/2 years in Northern Samar.  The head of the NPA is from this area.  He was actually brought back here to answer for some of his crimes.  Newsflash...they don't mess with us foreigners.  They have fought local government types sure.  Heck, killed a few, and those were all over in the eastern end of Northern Samar.  Where I am in the capital area in Catarman there's been nothing now.  Not any hold ups, muggings, murders, or any other issues.  In an area where Catarman and it's neighboring municipalities of Babon and Mondragon all have around 100k citizens each....that's not a bad rate for how low the murder/killing/muggings are.

But some will tell you it's dangerous because some purportedly unbias(what a joke, yes?) group related to a government or social group says that because the NPA is from here, everyone is in danger.  What a joke, no?  I have walked more than a few times about a 1/2 mile to the nearest 24/7 store to get something after midnight here(usually some medicine for coughing baby or what not) and never felt a moment of fear. 

That said, in a city of Muskegon in Michigan, with a population of under 35k, I wouldn't for a second walk down parts in the heights(same place my mom was raised in the 40's through mid 50's) because something bad is a VERY real and VERY possible setup.  Had a friend from the area(he is black) tell me that he could take me down a few streets during the day and I'd be safe because I was with him, but at night even he couldn't protect me because I'm a cracker and that's when the "leaders" and their "boys" come out.  I can't speak with fully 100% confidence...but I've been to most places in Catarman after 10-11pm and never felt an ounce of concern.

Crime is terror...no?  Doesn't matter what name it's wearing.  BLM, KKK, Black Panthers, etc.  They all want to win by scaring people...thus...terror.  Oh, but the government doesn't report them as terrorist groups...so they don't count?  How small minded to live with that distinction.

As is in post places...look into it.  Visit it.  Keep your head on a swivel.  Do these things and you will be fine.  Doesn't matter for the most part where you go.  I will walk the streets of my area at night with no fear.  My sister who is project leader of a large investment by Johnson Controls is in a smaller place in Mexico and won't go out alone after 8pm any night from the dangers she's seen.  But Mexico is safer than the Philippines...because governments and social groups are NEVER bias or will never put out fake data to support their agendas on what is safe and what is not. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 11:45:08 PM »
BLM, KKK, Black Panthers, etc.  They all want to win by scaring people...thus...terror.  Oh, but the government doesn't report them as terrorist groups...so they don't count?  How small minded to live with that distinction.

Don't forget the ring leaders of terror, CNN & NBC.

--
We are in the middle of Visayas,  I think it is safer than Manila.  Safety from neighbors is usually having much to do with how we treat our neighbors, in Manila I am a stranger, not so at home.  We did have a couple of areas that felt odd due maybe to some drug addictions.  It has really been cleaned up this last year and not much of a problem now.

Any location that has an active government sponsored war occurring will be dangerous.
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline UNGGOY

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 11:45:41 PM »
I think you'd be fine if you keep "your head on a swivel".  I have lived the last 4-1/2 years in Northern Samar.  The head of the NPA is from this area.  He was actually brought back here to answer for some of his crimes.  Newsflash...they don't mess with us foreigners.  They have fought local government types sure.  Heck, killed a few, and those were all over in the eastern end of Northern Samar.  Where I am in the capital area in Catarman there's been nothing now.  Not any hold ups, muggings, murders, or any other issues.  In an area where Catarman and it's neighboring municipalities of Babon and Mondragon all have around 100k citizens each....that's not a bad rate for how low the murder/killing/muggings are.

But some will tell you it's dangerous because some purportedly unbias(what a joke, yes?) group related to a government or social group says that because the NPA is from here, everyone is in danger.  What a joke, no?  I have walked more than a few times about a 1/2 mile to the nearest 24/7 store to get something after midnight here(usually some medicine for coughing baby or what not) and never felt a moment of fear. 

That said, in a city of Muskegon in Michigan, with a population of under 35k, I wouldn't for a second walk down parts in the heights(same place my mom was raised in the 40's through mid 50's) because something bad is a VERY real and VERY possible setup.  Had a friend from the area(he is black) tell me that he could take me down a few streets during the day and I'd be safe because I was with him, but at night even he couldn't protect me because I'm a cracker and that's when the "leaders" and their "boys" come out.  I can't speak with fully 100% confidence...but I've been to most places in Catarman after 10-11pm and never felt an ounce of concern.

Crime is terror...no?  Doesn't matter what name it's wearing.  BLM, KKK, Black Panthers, etc.  They all want to win by scaring people...thus...terror.  Oh, but the government doesn't report them as terrorist groups...so they don't count?  How small minded to live with that distinction.

As is in post places...look into it.  Visit it.  Keep your head on a swivel.  Do these things and you will be fine.  Doesn't matter for the most part where you go.  I will walk the streets of my area at night with no fear.  My sister who is project leader of a large investment by Johnson Controls is in a smaller place in Mexico and won't go out alone after 8pm any night from the dangers she's seen.  But Mexico is safer than the Philippines...because governments and social groups are NEVER bias or will never put out fake data to support their agendas on what is safe and what is not.
Mexico is ranked as the #1 most dangerous nation for Americans. Philippines is #3.

Muskegon in Michigan is not the whole of the USA. Where I live, they have not had a murder since the town was founded 130 years ago.

Offline FRaymie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 07:35:45 AM »
We have had a home in Eastern Samar since 2006 and have lived periodically since then with permanent residence within the last year. Travel a lot between home and Tacloban, Leyte and Borangon, Samar. No problems. I appreciate your 'statistics', but think they are misleading. According to the list you provided on another response the most dangerous country to Americans is America! Your list shows last year american deaths in the PI were 76 (3rd on your list as you indicated). However, 34 of the 50 states had more homicides than 76. In fact, total homicides in the US are more than the top 20 countries on your list COMBINED. Statistics are important, but I think the context is also important. I have learned from living throughout the pacific rim for over 40 years since 1969 that if trouble is looked for, it will be found. BTW congrats to Muskegon .....that's a super record and would be hard pressed to be equaled in the good ole USA.

Offline UNGGOY

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
We have had a home in Eastern Samar since 2006 and have lived periodically since then with permanent residence within the last year. Travel a lot between home and Tacloban, Leyte and Borangon, Samar. No problems. I appreciate your 'statistics', but think they are misleading. According to the list you provided on another response the most dangerous country to Americans is America! Your list shows last year american deaths in the PI were 76 (3rd on your list as you indicated). However, 34 of the 50 states had more homicides than 76. In fact, total homicides in the US are more than the top 20 countries on your list COMBINED. Statistics are important, but I think the context is also important. I have learned from living throughout the pacific rim for over 40 years since 1969 that if trouble is looked for, it will be found. BTW congrats to Muskegon .....that's a super record and would be hard pressed to be equaled in the good ole USA.

I think you should take your own advice.

Another person saying that Americans are being targeted for crimes...in America! How does that work?

There are 34 states in the USA with a majority foreign population? I don't think so.

Offline FRaymie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 10:11:51 AM »
Sorry, I thought for a while that you were really interested in a discussion. You obviously are not. You stated that the PI is the third most dangerous country in the world for americans based on 76 deaths in a year. Not a good number for family and friends of the 76 but certainly not a basis for your "chicken little" rants about the PI. My point is that hundreds/thousands of Americans are victims of homicide in their home country and yes they are targeted for being black, brown, police, gay, white, women, etc, etc. Every place has problems, even Muskegon!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog