Author Topic: Grab Taxi  (Read 958 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Grab Taxi
« on: March 09, 2018, 08:16:23 AM »
My wife and I have been using Grab a lot lately and finding for the most part that it good to use but it seems a lot of people who use it do not know that there is a service charge on top of the meter and some taxi drivers try to charge more than the actual service charge, so I am making this post to find out information and to be informative about Grab in Cebu.

In Cebu p10, how much in your area?
Additional P10 Booking Fee for GrabTaxi starts on October 16 in Cebu!
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Grab Taxi
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 08:20:13 AM »
Worth reading if you might be using Grab at all.
Terms of Use for Philippines GrabTaxi Passengers
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:16:53 AM »
I use both Grab and Uber several times a week and have never been approached to pay more than what was calculated when the booking was made. For me in the city it still comes out cheaper than owning a car and dealing with the headaches of maintenance etc.

Offline chimellie

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 04:32:42 AM »
They have Uber in Cebu or just Grab ?

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 06:54:40 AM »
They have Uber in Cebu or just Grab ?
Both, but so far I have found Uber to be useless, every time I checked them, there were only a few and all down near Colon, so useless to me but possibly will be good another day or to someone in that area.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 09:09:08 AM »
I am not sure if the Philippines will be part of this, this is just something to be aware of.
Grab close to deal to acquire Uberís Southeast Asia business
Under terms of the proposed agreement, Grab would buy out Uberís operations in certain markets in Southeast Asia and Uber will take a stake in Grab, the people said, asking not to be named because the talks are private.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 08:00:01 PM »
I am not sure if the Philippines will be part of this, this is just something to be aware of.
    Grab close to deal to acquire Uberís Southeast Asia business
    Under terms of the proposed agreement, Grab would buy out Uberís operations in certain markets in Southeast Asia and Uber will take a stake in Grab, the people said, asking not to be named because the talks are private.
I smell a monopoly brewing.

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline AggieExPat

• Born in Chicago and Raised in Texas...
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 10:10:45 AM »
When we go to Manila, we use Grab taxi and use the App to book.  The app usually tells you the charge before you book the cab and they have never overcharged us more than the agree rate.  We do give an extra tip at the end if they are very helpful and courteous..
Javi Lopez

Iloilo City, Iloilo

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 02:05:33 PM »
My wife uses Grab occasionally and she said that they only charge her what they advertised on the app when she was ready to book after seeing it and agreeing  The only exception is if she wants to or decides later that she wants to take the Skyway and I would imagine other tolls too. So, she then pays for the toll too.  Supposedly, when you request a quote, the guys or girls in the area will send you one and if there are a few around in your area, most times they compete by lowering the cost to you.  At least that is the way I understand it.  You don't agree to the quote and then get a surprise unless they want to risk or think you are joking about reporting them to Grab.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 03:52:42 PM »
Grab has now taken over Uber, I just got emails from both about the merger and saying to use the Grab app, just passing it along, I suspect if you have either, then you also will get an email and if not then you probably need to download the Grab app if you want to use either here in the Philippines.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 04:42:58 PM »
Lee,

That's correct.

It was announced on the BBC and CNN (Philippines) this morning. Uber will retain a 27.5% stake in the new enterprise, and quote " ... we are working with Grab to ensure our drivers will be migrated to Grab as soon as possible ... " unquote.

How that will sit with the Philippines' LTFRB, and other regulatory authorities here, as there is an ongoing problem between them and the companies, is anybody's guess. It's OK for talking heads in plush corporate offices to decide this and trouser the cash.

But ...... what happens on the ground, in the meantime, to "Juan and Juanita Driver" with huge car loans they took out when starting with Uber, and now have to them pay off????

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 05:55:32 PM »
Just watching GMA Evening News.

SCC and the LTFRB have issued statements saying they "know nothing", so until they give their approva, nothing happens.

Make of that what you will.

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline marshie

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 02:00:45 AM »
Based on the e-mail, transition of services to Grab will be by April 8.  I am worried that this will be the start of monopoly for ride hailing company.
On my experience, having both Uber and Grab is beneficial as I have a choice to book which is cheaper at the moment.  So weíll see what will happen by then.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
Received email from Uber this morning. Grab is acquiring Uber effective April 8 at which time the Uber app will no longer work. This is only for the Philippine market.

Offline Brisbane

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 08:32:52 PM »
Based on the e-mail, transition of services to Grab will be by April 8.  I am worried that this will be the start of monopoly for ride hailing company.
On my experience, having both Uber and Grab is beneficial as I have a choice to book which is cheaper at the moment.  So weíll see what will happen by then.

There are 3 or so new players seeking a license to operate so there wont be a monopoly.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog