Author Topic: Me Travels  (Read 695 times)

Offline MadDog

Me Travels
« on: March 11, 2018, 01:25:15 AM »
Thank you all for the wonderful greetings. My first questions will deal with traveling in this country. What can I expect when I get off the airplane at Manila’s airport? Is it like the airports in the states? Will the people be friendly and helpful? How can I reserve a hotel room that can be available to me if I am a day late or even early?

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
Re: Me Travels
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 08:17:45 AM »
Thank you all for the wonderful greetings. My first questions will deal with traveling in this country. What can I expect when I get off the airplane at Manila’s airport? Is it like the airports in the states? Will the people be friendly and helpful? How can I reserve a hotel room that can be available to me if I am a day late or even early?
Yes people are friendly and helpful, here is a video I found online to give you some idea of the airport. A good way to visualize many things about the Philippines will be by viewing the many youtube videos about just about anything and everything.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHjiMW5pXag" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHjiMW5pXag</a>
As for hotel rooms, your itinerary will have the date of your arrival, just go online and reserve a hotel room in your price range and in an area you would like to stay.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 08:26:00 AM by Lee2 »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 08:52:32 PM »
If you fly into Manila, the NAIA is going to be a functional airport that can do what most major city airports can do.  There is also the Wings lounge you can use depending on what you want.  It's open to all guests and not setup with only one airline. 
If you are coming in to visit with touchdown at the Clark in Angeles City, the airport is more "dated" in it's setup. Not so much in functionality, but layout and design.  Still you can get most stuff taken care of.  It would also save you time on your travel to Baguio area.  I do not know of any setup there like the Wings lounge, but could be wrong.  Only used it twice and was quick in and out with planned hotel stay already booked.
The hotels are vast and many with many different offerings and price and it can be quite the undertaking your first time looking.  Some offer shuttle to and from the airport.  Some free, some not.  Some offer breakfast and some not.  Some offer private cr with room, others it's a floor or some other setup of cr use with the rooms.  As questions and do a lot of research.  Everyone has their favorites.
If you are landing in Manila at the NAIA, the hotel that Tina found and I love it, is the Shogun Suites hotel.  Under $40/night gets you a nice room with unlimited buffet breakfast.  They pick up form the Airport for free, but there is a cost if you want to be dropped off at the airport.  But, if you ask, I'm sure you'll get a lot of different suggestions. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:57:12 AM by JoeLP »
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline MadDog

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 09:38:23 PM »
Yes people are friendly and helpful, here is a video I found online to give you some idea of the airport. A good way to visualize many things about the Philippines will be by viewing the many youtube videos about just about anything and everything.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHjiMW5pXag" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHjiMW5pXag</a>
As for hotel rooms, your itinerary will have the date of your arrival, just go online and reserve a hotel room in your price range and in an area you would like to stay.

Thank you for the video. I have watched a bunch. I see one for Clark, but this is the best for Manila.

Offline MadDog

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »

If you are coming in to visit with touchdown at the Clark in Angeles City, the hospital is more "dated" in it's setup.   

How do I get a touchdown at Clark?? Hospital?? So far I am still healthy.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »

If you are coming in to visit with touchdown at the Clark in Angeles City, the hospital is more "dated" in it's setup.   

How do I get a touchdown at Clark?? Hospital?? So far I am still healthy.
Angeles City(Clark International Airpt) and Manila(NAIA) have been sharing the international flights more and more.  So when you fly in, you might be going to one or the other.  Not sure how close it is to 50/50, but I do know that the flights I've been checking for going to Chicago in the summer have been pretty even in both numbers leaving and costs when comparing the two.  I believe the arrivals is becoming more even also. 

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
Angeles City(Clark International Airpt) and Manila(NAIA) have been sharing the international flights more and more.  So when you fly in, you might be going to one or the other.  Not sure how close it is to 50/50, but I do know that the flights I've been checking for going to Chicago in the summer have been pretty even in both numbers leaving and costs when comparing the two.  I believe the arrivals is becoming more even also.

And what is the advantage of Clark because of the "dated" hospital again?  I don't need a hospital either but there are quite a few "dated" hospitals around in MM and other places along with the "out dated" hospitals.  Just curious about the setup and if to that is why the old military retirees are so hopped up on how great it is in Clark.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 04:03:23 AM »
And what is the advantage of Clark because of the "dated" hospital again?  I don't need a hospital either but there are quite a few "dated" hospitals around in MM and other places along with the "out dated" hospitals.  Just curious about the setup and if to that is why the old military retirees are so hopped up on how great it is in Clark.
I just read that post and noticed it did say hospital instead of airport.  Either I was not in sound mind when I typed it or some spell check or something.  My bad.  Suppose to be airport.
Also, some flights do not go to Manila and only to Angeles.  What's the benefits?  Depends on a lot.  The city of Angeles has a lot going for it.  While not the size of Manila, it has a nice mall and not hard to get around.  Also, if going to Baguio, it will cut time off your travels as it is closer and easier to get out of and into the "provincial/national" roads and on your way.  Don't need to drive through a massive city first. 
The hotels and restos are comparable unless you are seeking a specific niche market of it.
And on a side note, sorta, I actually don't know anything about the hospitals in Angeles.  Probably not on the same scale as the ones in medical city in Manila have but probably not all that bad with all the foreigners in the area there.  And I have no ties to that area.  Only been there a few times and most recently because even the national flights have been reassigned and when Tina and I were traveling to Manila, we had to land in Angeles City because that's the only place the flights from Catarman are allowed to go when heading in that direction.  No longer allowed to fly Catarman to Manila(NAIA). 

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 01:32:37 PM »
Ok, I see.  And I know you are not a military retiree so I wasn't referring to you when I was talking about them.  It seems most of them though all they want to do is talk about Clark this, Subic that, Clark that, Subic this.  They think those are the only two places in the Philippines worth living.  And you sure are right about having to fight the traffic getting through MM.  It will make a world of difference once they complete the connector with SLEX going to NLEX.  Then, it will be a breeze getting through there.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 07:41:28 PM »
That should remove a lot of time off travels between the 2 for sure.  Make everyone happy on top of that and if they're smart, should be used by shuttle busses between the 2 airports.

In a ideal situation going forward, keep the 2 airport system going and run a rail between the two with minimal stops in between.  Make transfers and all that much easier.  I believe that was something actually funded in the past and funds dried up.  Think I even saw pics of columns that were meant to be sued to support that railway already built before the money mysteriously disappeared. 

So, a pipedream more than anything really, but that would make things much nicer.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 10:51:13 PM »
That should remove a lot of time off travels between the 2 for sure.  Make everyone happy on top of that and if they're smart, should be used by shuttle busses between the 2 airports.

In a ideal situation going forward, keep the 2 airport system going and run a rail between the two with minimal stops in between.  Make transfers and all that much easier.  I believe that was something actually funded in the past and funds dried up.  Think I even saw pics of columns that were meant to be sued to support that railway already built before the money mysteriously disappeared. 

So, a pipedream more than anything really, but that would make things much nicer.

There has been talk of an express rail line from Manila to Clark since forever. Thee have been numerous plans, projects, studies and Billions of pisos spent, yet still no complete line linking the two. I'd love to see it but there needs to be an adult in the room on this one, otherwise the money goes down a rat hole never to be seen again
Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog