Author Topic: Mail forwarding and address.  (Read 918 times)

Offline MadDog

Mail forwarding and address.
« on: March 12, 2018, 09:49:45 AM »
Many thanks to you all, it is wonderful to read your writings, watch your video and have someone who really understands my plans. A real blast of fresh air after many years of breathing social smog.
For my next question I am going ask about a US address. Let’s say I moved permanently to the Philippines. I have no one in the states to have an address with and want to sell my home so I stop spending all the money to keep it up. What can I do? Are these mail forwarding services enough for my important accounts and maintaining my US citizenship?

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Mail forwarding and address.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:13:24 AM »
Many thanks to you all, it is wonderful to read your writings, watch your video and have someone who really understands my plans. A real blast of fresh air after many years of breathing social smog.
For my next question I am going ask about a US address. Let’s say I moved permanently to the Philippines. I have no one in the states to have an address with and want to sell my home so I stop spending all the money to keep it up. What can I do? Are these mail forwarding services enough for my important accounts and maintaining my US citizenship?

https://www.usabox.com/ in Miami is one that a lot of people I have met along the way use but there are many others.

As far as keeping your citizenship, that is not an issue, you do not have to have a U.S. address for that but for banks and credit cards you usually need a U.S. address and U.S. phone number, one phone I recommend and have been using for years is Magic Jack, nowadays I use the Magic Jack app on my android phone more than the device but the device also comes in handy when living anywhere full time.

For a bank I recommend Charles Schwab and Fidelity both of which you should use a U.S. address for and maybe also to keep most of your dollars and maybe investments in, both for now reimburse all ATM fees and the exchange rate one gets here by using a Philippine ATM machine has been reasonable.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 02:27:27 PM »

As previously mentioned, you don't need a US address for maintaining citizenship.  But yeah, banks will normally require an address.  I have a private mailbox with a company in Florida.  I don't own anything back there but have that address which includes a street address.  It acts as an actual address, not a P.O. Box and is perfectly legal to declare residency in the state of Florida.  And the banks know it is a PMB.  If you get one, I would get one of them in one of the few states without a state income tax.  IRS and SSS send any hard copy of my mail, if any, to the Philippines but any 1099 has Florida for my stateside residence.  For sure I would not have NY listed.  I lived in Florida most of my life but previous residency is not required to declare there.  There are about a half a dozen states with no income tax.  Texas being another.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline MadDog

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:49:44 AM »
OK, let me get this straight. Of course I keep my citizenship. I can find a mail forward company that uses a street address in a state with no income tax. I can use this address for all my important stuff, then sell the house. The mail forward company is my US address for all my important stuff. Is this right?? If so, is there any possible problems with this?

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 06:55:45 AM »
If so, is there any possible problems with this?

I looked into this a few years back.  What I found was that states have different residency benchmarks.

If you don't meet those then you default back to your state of birth for legal matters.

Hope this helps.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:17:38 AM »
OK, let me get this straight. Of course I keep my citizenship. I can find a mail forward company that uses a street address in a state with no income tax. I can use this address for all my important stuff, then sell the house. The mail forward company is my US address for all my important stuff. Is this right?? If so, is there any possible problems with this?

You do not have to get one in a state with no state income taxes.  I doubt if a state who would allow you to be a resident would turn you down if you had the desire to pay state income taxes.  I pay only federal because I am a legal resident of Florida.  I no longer own anything in the US.  No property, no house or condo or anything.  Well, except for four large balikbayan size boxes in my cuz's garage of my stuff that I own.  One day, I might go back for a couple of week vacation and finally get around to sorting about half of it for the trash and ship the rest.  Through out the whole of 2017, I had ordered up my mail only two times with less than 10 pieces of mail each time so, I am looking at seeing if it is feasible to just eliminate the PMB rather than pay 20 bucks a month and paying for the shipment costs.  You can get some cheaper but half my cost is scanning capability of the mail.   If I really wanted, I could knock it down to about 6 total pieces of mail a year, maybe less if I tried hard enough.  I left the US in 2013 and have yet to go back for a visit.  I also, have yet to have any kind of problem conducting any business in the US which needs any attention. 

If you give it some more time, someone might come on here and tell you a better set-up.  I think there are some living here who do not even have their own address for residency.  They either have a relative handling mail for them or they have zero address there.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 07:24:29 AM »
I looked into this a few years back.  What I found was that states have different residency benchmarks.

If you don't meet those then you default back to your state of birth for legal matters.

Hope this helps.

You posted this before I was able to get mine on but yeah, I am sure they do.  In my case, I have Florida residency but it did not matter that if I had been a resident or not.  Florida is one of the easiest states to gain residency.  Now, I know NY (where he is) has state income taxes.  I think, and not positive, that they give a break to fed pension.  Don't know if federal covers SS payments though. But, I know anyway you look at it, NY stinks up the place when it comes to any kind of taxes and that is the main reason I never went back there and/or reclaimed residency.

Edit: To clarify, that is the main reason I never went back there in the 70s.  The only consideration that I gave it was 3 seconds when I was doing the research portion of preparing to retire as the Philippines was at the top of my list already.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 07:45:30 AM »
NY stinks

The gist of what I learned is ....  it is a big, ugly, ill defined, mess.  Like crawling through a barrel of fish hooks. 

So I advise all to be careful and perform due diligence.

I did not.  Owned a property in one state.  Legal resident in two states during the tax year.  Sold the property.  Ended up on the receiving end of a state taxes ménage ŕ trois.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:06:14 AM by lost_in_samoa »

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 08:28:06 AM »
Yeah, you got it right.  I got to go for now.  If you are unaware of it and live near an S&R, their member's treat sale starts this morning when they open and runs through Sunday.  A lot of buy one and take one along with a lot of up to 50% off.  I want to get there before it gets crowded.  Last year I turned around and walked out.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »
The first thing to do right now if you plan to move, is to make sure everything that can be done online is made online only, and that you do away with anything you do not need, so get yourself down to say 4 credit cards or less, two bank accounts and IMO make those ones you can use while in the Philippines for free such as Fidelity and Charles Schwab and if you have no one to take care of your mail then get a mail forwarding service like Miami box and change your address to that months before moving so you can work out any glitches and do away with as much mail as possible.

As for income tax, if you live in a high tax state such as NY, then why not move to Florida or other tax free state that has a mail forwarding service, in preparation of your move to the Philippines. Get a Florida drivers license, file a certificate of domicile and then never have to pay state taxes again. When retired, every dollar may count and one less tax to file will make life easier as well.

States with no income tax:
Alaska.
Florida.
Nevada.
South Dakota.
Texas.
Washington.
Wyoming.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline MadDog

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 01:44:48 AM »
OK, this is wonderful information, again many thanks. The plan is to get a retirement visa. I have studied this, it is a great deal for me. I will have the money and income. I already have a Fidelity account. I have had this for years. I am happy to learn that this account is very beneficial for living in the Philippines. A lot of my important stuff is already done online. I look forward to this because moving will be that much easier. Moving to Florida?? Sorry this is not possible. I have a few years left with my job before I can retire. Upon retirement I have no intention of spending any more time here, if that is possible. I was a resident of Washington state many years ago, I am not sure if that would help to regain residency. NY stinks. I think this is pretty obvious, so finding another state for residency is a must. Florida would be fine, but can I do this without living there? What is this “file a certificate of domicile”?? Can I use a mail forwarding service to get a drivers licence and residency? 

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 06:10:03 AM »
Florida would be fine, but can I do this without living there?

how to establish Florida residency

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 10:53:12 PM »
Quote from: MadDog on Today at 01:44:48 AM
Florida would be fine, but can I do this without living there?

I would say there is something in these links to answer that question which is "Yes".  I never said anything about anyone had to move to Florida to gain residency.  I had to move to Florida from NY because I was informed that I was going to do so.  The only possible three choices I had was Great Lakes, San Diego, or Orlando and it was cold in Great Lakes during the winter so I said screw that.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 02:40:30 AM »

I read through the first five links of that page and nowhere did I see anything that says you can legally establish residency in Florida without having at least maintaining a residence there for a minimum of 183 days.

Florida Statutes Chapter 196 Section 015:

Permanent residency; factual determination by property appraiser.—Intention to establish a permanent residence in this state is a factual determination to be made, in the first instance, by the property appraiser. Although any one factor is not conclusive of the establishment or nonestablishment of permanent residence, the following are relevant factors that may be considered by the property appraiser in making his or her determination as to the intent of a person claiming a homestead exemption to establish a permanent residence in this state:
1- A formal declaration of domicile by the applicant recorded in the public records of the county in which the exemption is being sought.
2- Evidence of the location where the applicant’s dependent children are registered for school.
3- The place of employment of the applicant.
4- The previous permanent residency by the applicant in a state other than Florida or in another country and the date non-Florida residency was terminated.
5- Proof of voter registration in this state with the voter information card address of the applicant, or other official correspondence from the supervisor of elections providing proof of voter registration, matching the address of the physical location where the exemption is being sought.
6- A valid Florida driver’s license issued under s. 322.18 or a valid Florida identification card issued under s. 322.051 and evidence of relinquishment of driver’s licenses from any other states.
7- Issuance of a Florida license tag on any motor vehicle owned by the applicant.
8-  The address as listed on federal income tax returns filed by the applicant.
9- The location where the applicant’s bank statements and checking accounts are registered.
10- Proof of payment for utilities at the property for which permanent residency is being claimed.

Louisville, KY USA

Offline MadDog

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 04:43:38 AM »
Thank you all for this information. What a bunch of legal blaah, blaah, blabbity blaah. You can not get more specific than that. Basically you must live there over 6 months and be sure you change your address with all the necessary important stuff. Especially the drivers licence and voter registration. I thought may be, because I did move from one state to the next. Well then, I may have to move for 7 months after I retire. Thank you all again. 

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog