Author Topic: Why?  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Why?
« on: March 20, 2018, 08:32:19 AM »
Why do a lot of people who move to the Philippines become mean and ornery or could it be that mostly mean and ornery people are many of the ones who move to the Philippines?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 08:59:25 AM »
mean and ornery

Interesting question.  But it's kinda open to interpretation.  Vague.  Can you be more specific?

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »
I assume you are talking about some of the melodramatics on this board since you appear to spend most of your time trying to keep up with it.  I believe a lot of it has something to do with things not going their way.  Mainly, something that is not for out here on one of the open boards but rather for the dark side.  Because it goes against their way of thinking and they are unable to express themselves on this side, they are not really (I don't think) but, sometimes appear to teetering on the edge of a cliff.   And it mostly involves the ones who think that the whole rest of the world (or a country) should only think like them and if they don't, then those people are wrong.  The sad thing is, when people get to this stage of their life you would think they would just suck it up and want to sit back, relax and enjoy the time they have left.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline FRaymie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:40:49 AM »
Agree with you Lee. I've been a member for a while and read all of the posts everyday. I don't respond to questions and requests for assistance however. I have asked a question or two and received info that was helpful but to be honest I think that's an exception. Most questions get logical, concise answers from an administrator or two. Then there are the 8-10 regulars that provide noting but dated info, sarcastic comments and generally caustic comments about the PI and those living there. I refer to them as the 'bitter boys' and believe half are mean and ornery naturally and the other half come to PI and become that way.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 10:10:21 AM »
Agree with you Lee. I've been a member for a while and read all of the posts everyday. I don't respond to questions and requests for assistance however. I have asked a question or two and received info that was helpful but to be honest I think that's an exception. Most questions get logical, concise answers from an administrator or two. Then there are the 8-10 regulars that provide noting but dated info, sarcastic comments and generally caustic comments about the PI and those living there. I refer to them as the 'bitter boys' and believe half are mean and ornery naturally and the other half come to PI and become that way.
Thank you for your comments, I and other admins and mods do our best, to tell you and others the truth, we all wish level headed guys like yourself and others would post more but I understand that not everyone wishes to. I live my life by doing unto others what I would like them to do unto me, Karma, of course I do not always succeed but I do try my best, that is why I am on forums and why I do my best to help tourists, expats and future expats I meet along the way too, since by doing so, I hope it also helps the Philippines and the people of the Philippines, which includes my wife's family and the many friends I have made over the years, to hopefully have a better lives, since happy knowledgeable expats tend to spend more money in the Philippines overall, and can continue to be happy and live here, unhappy people often either die sooner than necessary or stay home or go back to their home country or never come to the Philippines at all, thus for the most part they are not even helping themselves.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:26:26 AM »
BTW, I also forgot to mention that we already have some good posters on here and many nice people in the Philippines that I have personally met and on here, so it is not all gloom and doom, we just need more readers to post too.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 10:41:24 AM »
You guys are right but why hate the Philippines and moan and groan about it just because they are unhappy with things back with the landscape in their homeland.  I will never figure out why if they do not like things here and want to just moan and groan, then just go.  Go wherever they figure would be better and quit taking it out on the Philippines.  If I ever get fed up with anything excessively or start fearing everything, then you better believe I am gone.  If it was to happen, I don't know where but there is always some place else.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 10:45:52 AM »
You guys are right but why hate the Philippines and moan and groan about it just because they are unhappy with things back with the landscape in their homeland.  I will never figure out why if they do not like things here and want to just moan and groan, then just go.  Go wherever they figure would be better and quit taking it out on the Philippines.  If I ever get fed up with anything excessively or start fearing everything, then you better believe I am gone.  If it was to happen, I don't know where but there is always some place else.
Because a lot of guys are in relationships with ladies who they cannot marry either because of their side or the ladies, then there are those who cannot qualify for the money requirements and others who cannot qualify for other reasons, a lot of guys are just plain stuck here for one reason or another.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 10:51:35 AM »
Yeah, I think a lot of it has to do with that too.  And I believe that there is a good chance that the few I have come across, that most of them were so hostile if you tried to be nice to them.  They are afraid of their real story being found out.  Also, some with the scams going on that they are trying to pull off too.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 11:12:11 AM »
Here is what I see.

A lot of posters crave the security of the status quo.  The routine of the way things are. 

They want a few of the "golden years" before they move on to Heaven, Hell, or Pastafaria.

Unfortunately, the only constant is change.

Living in the RP introduces a lot of disparity.  Personal interactions, culture, food, electricity, finances, convenience, climate, bugs, or a western centric world view.  That is the saddle burr.

Some folks are dismissive, suspicious, fearful, resentful, and even angry at anything, or anyone, that questions that sense of order.

A gecko taking a dump on your toothbrush.  Toyu for breakfast. Publicly listing reasons to prepare for an uncertain future. 

It's all the same.

Unfortunately there is no geographic cure for this sort of sedimentary attitude.  So people just end up being unhappy no matter where they are.

Personally I like the unofficial Marine Corps motto.

“Improvise, adapt and overcome”

Even if they are a lower order form of life as compared to the Navy.    :D

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 09:57:48 PM »
Why do a lot of people who move to the Philippines become mean and ornery or could it be that mostly mean and ornery people are many of the ones who move to the Philippines?

I think I could agree with you,  but with the caveat that its not everyone.  There are plenty of nice folks.

IMO,

This is a well run board,  with some different opinions.  The different opinions are part of what makes it interesting and useful.

I have received answers and suggestions to almost every question I have posted,  except one.  Some of the answers are wrong or I don't agree with them but that is to be expected.  I asked the opinion of a certain type of car for use in the Philippines and none commented.  Maybe others thought it a stupid or even arrogant question.  Didn't bother me and wasn't important.

I give answers to stuff I know,  or think I know.  Same as anyone.  I have had challenge before on stuff I have first hand knowledge of and told it is wrong.  At first I take that as being ornery, but then realize its just someone else opinion and everyone is entitled to a wrong opinion :)

psychology 101,  everyone is different but we all have the same basic goals (usually)
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 12:01:13 AM »
What I feel I see a lot of when it comes to the foreigners who are just not  happy here is something along the lines of the following.
A man retires.  Has enough pension/ssi to live a somewhat less than adequate life in their home country.  Not exactly poor, mind you, but just something where they'd be paycheck to paycheck for the rest of their lives. 
Then they get knowledge of the Philippines.  One way or another, they decide that their "meager" paychecks will be much better spent in the Philippines.  So with little to no research the move here.  Then I feel it's one straw after another is laid on the horses back till they are just as miserable...if not more so, in the Philippines than they would be in their own country...but they spent most/all of their savings on getting a place to live in the Philippines with their woman....who they probably cannot are are not able to marry. 
So, stuck in a country, where they have issues with the politics, social life, societal make-up, and everyday lifestyle with just enough money to live till the next monthly income, and no way to escape.  So...miserable.

I could be wrong...but it's what I see more than not.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 03:39:11 PM »
I split off a couple of posts and moved them HERE because cost of living is an important topic all on its own and those who wish to move here need to be aware that if they do not know it can be expensive to live here, then they will end up unhappy expats and we do not need unhappy expats living in the Philippines.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 03:30:31 AM »
I assume you are talking about some of the melodramatics on this board since you appear to spend most of your time trying to keep up with it. 

I must confess to not having noticed any melodramatics hereabouts.  That could mean that I am an insensitive clod or that I am part of the problem, or both.  Not sure.  Or maybe I am not around enough to catch it all.

The comments about ornery foreigners I can agree with (yes, I know better than to end a sentence with a preposition, but I don't care.  I am too ornery to care).  Lee, BudM, and others have shown some insight.  JoeLP expressed deftly what I have observed. 

In another thread awhile back I commented thus:

I lament that the old Asawa Forum has lapsed into history lo these many years ago.  For awhile, the old posts were still available online.  No more.  There, one learned and experienced member once started a thread sub nom. "Marooned".  It was a sobering tale of those who have moved to the Phils expecting to live the high life at modest cost and found themselves after a few years with not even sufficient funds to buy a ticket back home.  I have witnessed a few marooned types in the Phils myself.  Pitiful.  To one such fellow I "loaned" USD550 to help him buy a ticket out.  He's now in his 60s, working as a pizza delivery driver when he can, in LA.  Don't end up like that.

I think I could agree with you,  but with the caveat that its not everyone.  There are plenty of nice folks.

I have received answers and suggestions to almost every question I have posted,  except one.  Some of the answers are wrong or I don't agree with them but that is to be expected.  I asked the opinion of a certain type of car for use in the Philippines and none commented.  Maybe others thought it a stupid or even arrogant question.  Didn't bother me and wasn't important.

As one of the perhaps not-so-nice denizens of this board, I feel constrained to address that kvetch.  I suspect the answer lies, not in a perception of stupidity or arrogance, but in a dearth of any knowledge or experience to share.  I recall the post asking about the car, reproduced below:

Anyone have experience with or opinions on toyota hiace ?

I was thinking to buy a new one as a family car.

That was a very specific question, about a make of car I have seen on the road in the Phils.  Seeing one on the road is the sum total of my knowledge or experience.  So I did not post a reply.  My guess is that most here who read the post are in the same league.  In the Phils I have purchased new a Toyota Sportrunner, a Honda Civic and a Nissan Safari.  My first car purchase in the Phils was a used Nissan Sentra.  That experience led to to purchase only new cars after that.  So, although I have some experience with car ownership in the PI, I had nothing at all to offer on the topic of Toyota Hiace.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 02:23:18 PM »

Mean and ornery is I guess, an American expression.  Being a Brit I have my own term for them - MOG's, miserable old gits. 
Many reasons or suggestions have been put forward as why some people are or become MOG's and no doubt there is some truth to all of them. 
Personally I think it's a lot simpler that that.  Some guys are MOG's and will be so, no matter where they are living.  I see them from time to time walking around here in the malls, face as long as a kite, not a good word to say about anything, not the glimmer of a smile on their lips.  I have tried to spark up a conversation a couple of times, you'd think I was talking Chinese judging by the blank miserable reaction that I usually receive.  I don't bother any more. They are the same guys that complain about the cold and rain in England, then come here and complain about the heat here in Fils, driving frustration, upset with their government and its policies, costs of living, johnny foreigners taking their jobs, etc etc, the list is endless.  These are the same guys that complain about lack of service, then go on to complain about being "stalked" by sales staff when in a store.........
Of course, there are often valid reasons for their grievances, it's just how they deal with them, or not in their case, that causes them to be MOG's.
I see them when back in UK for a visit, and plenty of expats in Dubai my last place of residence fell into the MOG category. There are MOG's everywhere, not just here in Fils.
Londoner at heart

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog