Author Topic: Why?  (Read 3159 times)

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Re: Why?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
I must confess to not having noticed any melodramatics hereabouts.  That could mean that I am an insensitive clod or that I am part of the problem, or both.  Not sure.  Or maybe I am not around enough to catch it all.

The comments about ornery foreigners I can agree with (yes, I know better than to end a sentence with a preposition, but I don't care.  I am too ornery to care).  Lee, BudM, and others have shown some insight.  JoeLP expressed deftly what I have observed. 

In another thread awhile back I commented thus:

No, I wasn't referring to guys like you.  There are a couple who moan and groan about everything though instead of just dealing with it or get out or sit down in front of the TV and watch their soap operas.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline caronsabuas

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 10:52:59 PM »
This thread amuses me a great deal as I like to be left alone and I am sure that is taken the wrong way quite often. It's not that I don't like people, but I like it much more when they aren't around. It's just a personal preference. I am not cranky, ornery or anything of the like most of the time. In fact I am quiet and pretty easy going. I do, however, find the assumption that since I prefer not to spend time with people other than my wife and a few friends to be cranky, ornery or what have you, presumptive. I work very hard to not judge by appearance or without knowing someone else's situation, I expect the same in kind. When that is not offered in kind is when I do get cranky. Then it's time to pop a beer, breathe in, breathe out and move on...
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 12:30:18 AM »
This thread amuses me a great deal as I like to be left alone and I am sure that is taken the wrong way quite often. It's not that I don't like people, but I like it much more when they aren't around. It's just a personal preference. I am not cranky, ornery or anything of the like most of the time. In fact I am quiet and pretty easy going. I do, however, find the assumption that since I prefer not to spend time with people other than my wife and a few friends to be cranky, ornery or what have you, presumptive. I work very hard to not judge by appearance or without knowing someone else's situation, I expect the same in kind. When that is not offered in kind is when I do get cranky. Then it's time to pop a beer, breathe in, breathe out and move on...

Bingo! The bahay kubo works wonders for me. I'm "with" family but have my own space, even though shared at times. The family has their own lives and routine to deal with. I'm just another mouth to sit at the table for meals, and sometimes offer an opinion. Otherwise, I'm happy to be off by myself. I've always been a "lone wolf" kinda guy.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 01:28:59 AM »
Double bingo!  That's why we live on a large oceanfront acreage with no one living closer than a mile.  If we want to be with people, we can go to where they are or invite them to us.  The rest of the time, we live in splendid isolation.

Offline chimellie

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 01:41:59 AM »
I think the OP was saying about the rude guys and the complainers, not the quite guys. There's nothing wrong with being quite, staying home and spend time with the family. Everyone is different, it doesn't make you a bad person.

I took my wife to Cebu to visit her family 2 years ago, while we were there I went to visit our apartment complex in Talisay, there I met 1 of our tenants, he's from Norway and living with a very young beautiful girl. He was telling me how bad the Filippino people are, how hot and humid the weather there, too many dogs ( he has 2), the government sucks, Filippino cook smelly food.. and so on for another 30 minutes, I had to say goodbye to him and went home, on my way home I was thinking how bad could it be especially he's living with a young and beautiful girl . This is kind of guys Lee is talking about, the complainers, no matter how good they have. But anyway, he left our apartment without advance notice and demanded all his deposit money right away, normally we don't give back the deposit right away because we don't know how much he owes in water and electricity, but our manager couldn't take him anymore, he was swearing and made a big scene so my manager gave all his deposit back. The next month the bills came, we had to pay his water and electricity, he screwed me out of P6000.           

Offline caronsabuas

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 02:09:45 AM »
Point taken Chimellie. No one needs that aggrevation and I am sorry you had that experience! Bahay kubo indeed Gray Wolf. I think I got that by infusion from my very laid back Illonga wife of 28 years. And Hestecrefter...we are of a mind. I don't think a lot of folks understand that isolation can indeed be splendid. You should be able to enjoy alone time because it presents itself precious little, especially around the familia.
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 03:12:27 AM »
Double bingo!  That's why we live on a large oceanfront acreage with no one living closer than a mile.  If we want to be with people, we can go to where they are or invite them to us.  The rest of the time, we live in splendid isolation.

Excellent!  :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »
Why do a lot of people who move to the Philippines become mean and ornery or could it be that mostly mean and ornery people are many of the ones who move to the Philippines?

Normal people stay home. They are happy. Love their own nation. Are happy with their own people. And so on.

The only people that move abroad are millionaires and crazy people.

I speak from experience being the latter.
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 06:43:32 PM »
Normal people stay home. They are happy. Love their own nation. Are happy with their own people. And so on.

And some people don't really have homes.  Having grown up living in 3 states(4 if you count the UP and LP of Michigan as different states. They sure act like it in almost every way) and lived in 13 homes by the time I was 15, I never really had a town/city to call mine, nor a school.  So I graduated and moved again to yet another completely different locale, to graduate from there 4 years later and move to yet another state an area to take a job that had me living around the world. 
One of those places the Philippines which is where I felt happy, and "at home" for the first time in my life.  So not crazy, not a millionaire...just a guy what had probably pretty unusual circumstances in his life lead him to a country he wasn't born in as a place to live. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline UNGGOY

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 11:06:03 PM »
And some people don't really have homes.  Having grown up living in 3 states(4 if you count the UP and LP of Michigan as different states. They sure act like it in almost every way) and lived in 13 homes by the time I was 15, I never really had a town/city to call mine, nor a school.  So I graduated and moved again to yet another completely different locale, to graduate from there 4 years later and move to yet another state an area to take a job that had me living around the world. 
One of those places the Philippines which is where I felt happy, and "at home" for the first time in my life.  So not crazy, not a millionaire...just a guy what had probably pretty unusual circumstances in his life lead him to a country he wasn't born in as a place to live.

You think you described a normal life there?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 02:08:55 AM »

I'm generally a happy guy and I definitely love my country with a passion. I'm generally happy with about 46% of my "own people", and so on. I am absolutely not a millionaire, not even by Filipino standards. The jury is still out on me being crazy. Well, okay, so I'm a bit crazy. But a nice crazy.  :D
The only reason I have a home in the Philippines is because after meeting, marrying and then going through all the process to get my wife here in the US, I made a promise to her that we would go live in the PH when we both retired. So far she's spent 18+ years living here with me. The least I can do is allow her to live her final years surrounded by family. Family that I love as much as my own, in many ways, more in other ways. It isn't really about money, safety or ability to do things later in life. It's about promises made. Promises that I intend to keep, no matter what. I'm I crazy? That's not up to anyone else to decide. Most who have spent personal time around me would probably say yes, Jack is a bit crazy. But good crazy. Funny crazy. Dedicated crazy. And perhaps even the best kind of crazy you can get. YMMV
Louisville, KY USA

Offline UNGGOY

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 02:37:10 AM »
I'm generally a happy guy and I definitely love my country with a passion. I'm generally happy with about 46% of my "own people", and so on. I am absolutely not a millionaire, not even by Filipino standards. The jury is still out on me being crazy. Well, okay, so I'm a bit crazy. But a nice crazy.  :D
The only reason I have a home in the Philippines is because after meeting, marrying and then going through all the process to get my wife here in the US, I made a promise to her that we would go live in the PH when we both retired. So far she's spent 18+ years living here with me. The least I can do is allow her to live her final years surrounded by family. Family that I love as much as my own, in many ways, more in other ways. It isn't really about money, safety or ability to do things later in life. It's about promises made. Promises that I intend to keep, no matter what. I'm I crazy? That's not up to anyone else to decide. Most who have spent personal time around me would probably say yes, Jack is a bit crazy. But good crazy. Funny crazy. Dedicated crazy. And perhaps even the best kind of crazy you can get. YMMV
You're crazy, you're wife is crazy, I'm crazy, my wife is crazy. We're all mad here.

Not saying it is bad. The best people in history were a little off.

Good wife if she wants to go back. My wife never wanted to go abroad. But now she misses bacon and cheese when we are in the RP. Ha ha. Good American now.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »
You're crazy, you're wife is crazy, I'm crazy, my wife is crazy. We're all mad here.

Not saying it is bad. The best people in history were a little off.

Good wife if she wants to go back. My wife never wanted to go abroad. But now she misses bacon and cheese when we are in the RP. Ha ha. Good American now.
You keep writing as if you are in the Philippines but your ip address shows you as in United States, Iowa, Sioux City, so are you even in the Philippines, when was the last time you were in the Philippines?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline cebunole

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »
BTW, I also forgot to mention that we already have some good posters on here and many nice people in the Philippines that I have personally met and on here, so it is not all gloom and doom, we just need more readers to post too.

Maybe many of us have sort of gotten burned out over the years by letting the bad/mean/et al posters get under our skin too much and have mostly given up so we read and just don't say much.

Offline hoz

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
I used to approach any random "white guy" I ran across to hear their story but after being disappointed in the conversations I quit. To many just wanted to bitch, moan and carp on the Philippines, the people, the food Blah, blah, blah.  If it's so bad why stay?

The last guy I just approached was a black fellow while we waited outside for SM Cebu to open. Poor guy came to Cebu City thinking it was going to be beaches and palm trees. Instead he was staying in some pension house a few blocks away. I told him to either head south, go to the Mactan resorts or Bohol but get out of Cebu City.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog