Author Topic: Duterte backs six-month Boracay shutdown  (Read 471 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Duterte backs six-month Boracay shutdown
« on: March 21, 2018, 03:46:19 AM »
Boracay will likely not be one to visit for a while.
President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday said he is amenable to a six-month closure of Boracay to allow government to rehabilitate the famous island.

Duterte said Department of Interior and Local Government officer-in-charge Eduardo Año told him that the island would need to be closed for six months to rehabilitate it.
MORE

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Duterte backs six-month Boracay shutdown
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »
Lee.

Funny that shpuld come up. The wife was talking to a neighbour this morning, who has just come back from there. He said, and I paraphrase, "It's all the tourists that throw their cigarettte butts on the beach that cause the problem."

Err, says the missus, what about the untreated sewage discharging on the beaches as well? "Didn't see any where we were, only the foreigners throwing trash everywhere"., was the reply.

More (blinkered) fun in the Philippines LOL!

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:13:50 AM »
Change of plans lol

Palace: No summer shutdown for Boracay
Tourists may still visit Boracay during the Holy Week because the island will remain open during the summer season, Malacañang said yesterday.

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the closure and rehabilitation of Boracay will not likely happen during the peak summer season.

As this developed, the island’s tourism stakeholders appealed for reconsideration of the planned closure, but should the government push through with it, to make it a partial closure.

The stakeholders, in a press conference, said the jobs of 36,000 people and some P56 billion in revenues from businesses in Boracay were at stake.
Read more at https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2018/03/23/1799508/palace-no-summer-shutdown-boracay
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline hoz

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 09:45:25 AM »
The closure should be during the rainy season. Look for a half axed "solution".
Still many locals will be adversely affected. Hope they save their money.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 10:15:38 AM »
The closure should be during the rainy season. Look for a half axed "solution".
Still many locals will be adversely affected. Hope they save their money.
"Save their money" not likely in a live for today country, most spend the money they get, as soon as they possibly can, the ones who don't, are the ones who succeed in businesses here.

Offline max111

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 12:20:51 AM »
Does anyone have any updated information?  Will it be opened for tourists in November?

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 07:20:30 AM »
As to the cigarette butts on the beach...have they even considered getting a "beach comb machine"?  Grand Haven State Park Beach in Michigan(also home to the US Coast Guard headquarters) uses them almost daily.  If you get out to the beach at sunrise(when I lived there I would run the boardwalk/pier) you see 2 of them going. Sorta a "lawn tractor for beach sand) setup with tires and all and a pull behind "garbage can" setup that would allow the machine to pick up the buts and other garbage(candy wrappers, beer/soda bottle tops, etc) and shoot all that junk into the cans being pulled behind.  This was back in the 90's.  So "we have the technology" is usable for these world famous beaches. 

The grain of sand might be different(Grand Haven imports pure white powdered sand every year in the spring, before beach season and spreads and mixes it with the normal powdery yellow sand) as the stuff in GH is most likely a little bit softer and thin, but they have to have the same machines for the more "flat" white sand beaches.  I couple runs with those machines on the beaches every morning and bye bye litter. 

I never been to Boracay, so I'm just wondering why such cannot be setup.  Would seem like a great investment to me.  Even if a few resorts did that for their beach area it would see to be something they could use to advertise. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 09:19:02 AM »
As to the cigarette butts on the beach...have they even considered getting a "beach comb machine"?  Grand Haven State Park Beach in Michigan(also home to the US Coast Guard headquarters) uses them almost daily.  If you get out to the beach at sunrise(when I lived there I would run the boardwalk/pier) you see 2 of them going. Sorta a "lawn tractor for beach sand) setup with tires and all and a pull behind "garbage can" setup that would allow the machine to pick up the buts and other garbage(candy wrappers, beer/soda bottle tops, etc) and shoot all that junk into the cans being pulled behind.  This was back in the 90's.  So "we have the technology" is usable for these world famous beaches. 

The grain of sand might be different(Grand Haven imports pure white powdered sand every year in the spring, before beach season and spreads and mixes it with the normal powdery yellow sand) as the stuff in GH is most likely a little bit softer and thin, but they have to have the same machines for the more "flat" white sand beaches.  I couple runs with those machines on the beaches every morning and bye bye litter. 

I never been to Boracay, so I'm just wondering why such cannot be setup.  Would seem like a great investment to me.  Even if a few resorts did that for their beach area it would see to be something they could use to advertise.
Throwing trash on the ground and a complete and utter disregard of the environment almost seems to be ingrained in this culture.   In addition to that, actually taking the blame for something is almost unheard of.   Pretty crappy things to say, but based on my 28 years embedded in this culture those are the sad conclusions I have come to.  And yes of course I am generalizing.   

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 11:57:40 PM »

I've been to Boracay only once, back in 1999. The resorts had boys who would rake the sand from the tree line to the shore, making the sand incredibly soft to walk on. The problem was, nothing was picked up. They would simply rake to the waterline then let the waves wash it all out into the water. Palm fronds, paper trash, cigarette butts, etc all went directly into the pristine water. Within a couple of hours you would not see the trash floating around, but you knew it was there.

I simply cannot understand why this culture doesn't grasp the severity of the trash problem. Every time it rains hard, storm drains and ditches are filled with litter, oftentimes clogging the drains causing local flooding of the roads. During virtually every typhoon we would see the roads flooded while crews worked to dislodge plastic bags, paper cups, food wrappers and other debris from the storm drains.

I despise littering and have corrected my nephews several times when they would unwrap something and simply let it fall where they stood, even within our own property, while their mothers worked close by sweeping up the trash. We made sure to buy plastic trash cans/waste baskets for our property and still I would walk out the front door to see wrappers from their snacks unwrapped only minutes before laying on the ground within feet of a trash can. Even my father in law was guilty of being a litterbug. He'd unwrap a snack package and without a single thought, would simply let the wrapper fall where he stood. It blows the mind
Louisville, KY USA

Offline max111

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 12:56:54 AM »
Hmmm...
Littering can't be the cause of Boracay closure. I think Duterte called it a cesspool or something like that....  I am still wondering if it will be opened coming Christmas season?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 12:01:33 AM »
Littering and the dumping of untreated raw sewage is a large problem, not only on Boracay, but throughout the archipelago
Louisville, KY USA

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 07:59:44 AM »
Littering and the dumping of untreated raw sewage is a large problem, not only on Boracay, but throughout the archipelago

Not only Boracay by any means. We stayed at White Beach Puerto Galera for a few days a couple months ago. The stench from raw untreated sewage was unbearable in a couple areas along the length of the beach. 

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 03:23:16 AM »

Not Sh_t! Energy!

Yep, a much better way to deal with the sewage problem. But that would mean the local leaders would have to actually do the work, or hire other locals to run the plant. No money in it for them
Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog