Author Topic: Cebu City Ranked 8th Safest in Southeast Asia  (Read 883 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
Cebu City Ranked 8th Safest in Southeast Asia
« on: April 09, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »
8th does not say much when so much crime goes unreported but still, we find it safe, as do the many expats that live here.
http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/170101/cebu-safest-cities-list

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
Londoner at heart

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Re: Cebu City Ranked 8th Safest in Southeast Asia
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 07:45:18 PM »
Are these lists from the same year?  Looks like Numbeo did both but what am I reading wrong or is there just large fluctuation if they are different years?
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:16:44 PM »
Got me, I never understand these supposed suppliers of information.
5 Philippine cities among 10 safest in Southeast Asia
A report released recently by collaborative online database Numbeo showed Valenzuela City, Davao, Makati, Baguio and Cebu among the top 10 safest cities in the region.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:53:31 AM »
Got me, I never understand these supposed suppliers of information.
5 Philippine cities among 10 safest in Southeast Asia
A report released recently by collaborative online database Numbeo showed Valenzuela City, Davao, Makati, Baguio and Cebu among the top 10 safest cities in the region.
I am with you Lee, these lists are total horseshit, and I am sure are state sponsored.    It is not even just "scuttlebutt" to be sure you take extra precautions living in the Philippines and or just visiting.  That does not mean I do not feel safe here or that I am trying to paint the Philippines as an "unsafe" place to live or visit, I just find these rankings ridiculous

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 12:14:53 PM »
Are these lists from the same year?  Looks like Numbeo did both but what am I reading wrong or is there just large fluctuation if they are different years?

Yeah, no kidding?  You guys thought I took these lists serious when I said what I did?  They are always nothing but a bunch of BS.  If I did enough research, I could eventually find some place that says Paranaque is the best place to live in the Philippines.  Well, no, probably not really but you sure could find enough lists that give you enough options to take your pick on which one you should believe.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 03:06:01 PM »
How can that be, when the Philippines didn't even make it on to the 25 "Safest Countries in the World"????
 https://tinyurl.com/yd4df3zy
1 Iceland   
2 New Zealand
3 Portugal   
4 Austria   
5 Denmark   
6 Czech Republic
7 Slovenia   
8 Canada   
9 Switzerland   
10 Japan    
11 Ireland   
12 Australia   
13 Bhutan   
14 Norway
15 Hungary   
16 Germany   
17 Finland   
18 Sweden   
19 Belgium   
20 Netherlands   
21 Singapore   
22 Mauritius   
23 Spain          
24 Chile      
25 Romania   

This page was last updated on October 5, 2017.
By James Burton

"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
How can that be, when the Philippines didn't even make it on to the 25 "Safest Countries in the World"????
 https://tinyurl.com/yd4df3zy
1 Iceland   
2 New Zealand
3 Portugal   
4 Austria   
5 Denmark   
6 Czech Republic
7 Slovenia   
8 Canada   
9 Switzerland   
10 Japan    
11 Ireland   
12 Australia   
13 Bhutan   
14 Norway
15 Hungary   
16 Germany   
17 Finland   
18 Sweden   
19 Belgium   
20 Netherlands   
21 Singapore   
22 Mauritius   
23 Spain          
24 Chile      
25 Romania   

This page was last updated on October 5, 2017.
By James Burton
Funny.  That said, the OP stated in his post that Cebu was the 8th safest in the South East Asia area.  I don't see a single one of those 25 countries in SE Asia. 
That makes me laugh also.  Anyway, you live in Cebu, you live in the 8th safest city in a part of the world where not one country in it is ranked in the top 25 safest countries in the world. 
These lists make me laugh as they are more bull than anything.  So I'm of the same mind as the rest of you.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 04:29:10 PM »
These lists make me laugh as they are more bull than anything.  So I'm of the same mind as the rest of you.
How can it all be bull, when the Philippines can't make it on to any list, except within their own country?
Anyone can get killed or scammed just being in the wrong place at the wrong time and not even make it on to the news media.
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 04:06:06 PM »
How can it all be bull, when the Philippines can't make it on to any list, except within their own country?
Anyone can get killed or scammed just being in the wrong place at the wrong time and not even make it on to the news media.

As for me, I am saying they are BS because of the procedures and criteria in making up the different lists to whoever is doing its liking.  That doesn't mean that I think Philippines cities suck as I am not of the belief that they are any more dangerous than any other cities.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 07:58:33 AM »
As for me, I am saying they are BS because of the procedures and criteria in making up the different lists to whoever is doing its liking.  That doesn't mean that I think Philippines cities suck as I am not of the belief that they are any more dangerous than any other cities.
Of the same mind here concerning these lists.  I've never seen a single one that was comprehensive in it's setup, formula and layout.  These are all pretty much opinion pieces.  They'll use this stat, but not that one, despite both being equal in terms of how "safe" a place is.  All political or bias. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 08:27:45 AM »
It's good to read that some cities are safe to live in considering that the Philippines comes in at 100th place out of 150 of the safest countries in world. You can look for yourselves on most websites where the Philippines doesn't even place in the top 10, 25 or 65th place of the safest countries in the world, except for on the site that has 150 placings.
So, what's the allure of living in the Philippines when the country is at the botom of the totem pole of the safest country in the world?
For me, I was born here and married and retired for better or for worst. I'm sure most of you is because being married to a Filipina and accept what she brings Into a relationship, unless you can take out the country or culture out of her and replant her elsewhere by your influences since some retirees do not want to live in an unsafe foreign country.

"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »
The list you are talking about is what?  What is the difference?  They manipulate them all.  Even the ones that are supposed to be official this or official that.  In answer to your question, maybe some of us are here because we know those lists are all BS about how dangerous it supposedly is.  And granted, as much as I love women, I was not drawn to live here mainly because of one certain women.  I knew within time I would find the one that interested me the most even though it happened faster than I thought.  But, I was willing to take a couple of years of just relaxing and enjoying life before I jumped in head first to another whole situation and way that I was not accustomed to living.  Why?  Because I wanted a complete change and to get away from a lot of the crap going on.  Just like now with what I have.  I am glad my kid is not going to school in the US and that is one of the main reasons I never got married and had a kid in the US.  I did want to be responsible for bringing a kid in to the kind of crap that goes on now.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog