Author Topic: Bathroom Reading Material  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Drew

Bathroom Reading Material
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:23:23 AM »
Hi all,  I'm Drew from a rurual area in Alberta Canada and retired recently from twenty years military and another twenty or so in the workforce (trucking and oilfeild.)  Met my Philippino wife about five years ago here and we're moving to 'Flipperland' in a couple months. Bacolod City area to be more precise. 

I never really laid down a lot of roots so, moving where my wife has brothers, sisters, a few kids, grandkids, neices and nephews and a lifetime of neighbors seems the right thing to do as my only real ties here are my daughter who is soon to be married and, she has her own life at the other end of the country. The math as well as the atraction of having an instant family is something I very much look forward to.

I've travelled all my life, both in the military and out of it while trucking.  Being away from home has been my lot in life it seems and now, I look forward to the time where I won't have to move and can set down my middle aged roots and relax.  I've had a lot of aquaintences  ask me how I can just up and leave to go to some place so strange and far away.  The answer I give them that seems to make them happy is "I get a small pension from the army so, either work for the rest of my life here or relax there."  The truth is, I never really lived here.  It was always a home base from which to go to work so, having the opportunity to go to a place where people are people, more happier and carefree and don't spend their social life bragging about how many acres of land they own, what they made in mutual funds or how they are more 'giterdun' than the next fellow is something I look forward to. 

The past few months have been pretty interesting and emotional as I 'blow out' all the aspects of my life that up till now were valuable and material - semi, trucks, motorcyles, winter work clothes, tools, weights and furniture.  I watch them go up on the local FB buy and sell (at pretty good prices) lightly haggle with whomever comes to pick them up and then watch pieces of my life leave the house.  Rarely can I remember what I paid for each item but I do remember where and why I bought and used them.  Never to see a blizzard covered pipeline at two am ever again.  Mixed emotions - glad they're gone but sad those days are over.

Heading out at the end of August to go east for the daughter's wedding.  Will take a few weeks to camp, hike and hotel, see the sights, relax and then the wedding and the airport to embrace the next flare of my life - the Philippines.

Anyhow, if you made it this far, thanks, you're more patient than I am as I would have stopped at 'Hi I'm XX' and said welcome.  I look forward to learning and laughing here with everybody else. 

Oh, first question;  Will I be able to survive on $20,000 US per month?    ::)  2nd;  How can I get $20,000 per month?

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Bathroom Reading Material
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 11:15:17 AM »
Welcome.  Saw a few of the Canadian units/sites in the mid 70s while station with the 24th NORAD Region at Malmstrom AFB, MT. We had 52 Canucks stationed at the Hqs.  They were great fun at parties.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 12:08:01 PM »
Nice intro,  makes perfect sense.  It will for sure be an adventure. 
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Dawg

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 03:16:23 PM »
Welcome Drew!

Best advice I have for you is to keep patient. Much like you I gained an instant family when I married my pinay. Mostly it's good but there are some bumps...mostly misunderstandings or translation issues. So...sit back, smile a lot and read about all the past mistakes that are posted here in the archives. That alone will save you thousands in pesos and gray hair!

Congrats to your daughter!

Where are you planning on living?

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 04:27:22 PM »
Hi Drew... I was stationed in Whidbey Is SAR, H-3 Helicopters, Washington back in 88 - 91 and we worked with a Canadian military group off an island forgot the name but it was remote it had many oysters on the shoreline.  I'm from Grand Forks ND and we had many Canadians come down for shopping.

I don't miss the winters either and a good idea you sold your goods before leaving. 
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 06:37:06 PM »
Will I be able to survive on $20,000 US per month?    ::)  2nd;  How can I get $20,000 per month? 

Welcome Drew. Cost of living is a question that gets asked over and over, I suggest you read the Living Costs in different areas setion and Expat life in Philippines section, if you do not see a recent answer there that fits your situation, then post a question about it. From what I have seen, expats live comfortably on $1,500 and up a month, yet others survive nicely on less, some on half or even less, depending on their lifestyle, it is going to depend a lot on what you will need, what you already have and how big your wants will be.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 12:09:45 AM »
Hello Drew,

I am from a rural area in British Columbia (off-the-grid rural) and have traipsed around a fair bit of Canada, including Alberta.

You say you met your Filipina there.  May I ask how she ended up in rural Alberta?  Did she come to Canada on a work visa?  Previous marriage to a kano?  Also, may I ask how much time you have spent in the Phils?  In 1998, I moved to the Phils from Los Angeles where I had been living for 3 years.  No friends or family back home in Canada really questioned the move since (a) I had already moved to LA, which some found a bit strange to begin with and (b) I had already been on many trips to the Phils, so no one could really suggest I did not know what I was getting into. 

I came back to Canada in 2002 with the Filipina who became my wife in 2003. The plan was to be here for no more than 6 months and then return to Quezon City, where I had purchased a house.  The plan did not go as planned.  We ended up staying in Vancouver for 6 years, then moving to our present location.

We have been back to visit, but not sure if we'll ever go back to live.  We are in a spell of hot weather here and my wife remarked yesterday that "it feels like the Philippines. That's why I don't want to go back."  She really likes a cooler climate.  Long ago, I had a Filipina gf and we lived in Vancouver.  She never got used to temperatures below about 80 degrees.  She moved back to the Phils and that's where she wants to stay.  So no two are the same.

From what you have said, I think you are in for a positive change.  As you said, no real connections before, now you'll be enveloped by family and community.  Family and community work a bit differently there, but not in a bad way and you perhaps have some experience already.

As for cost of living, Lee has already made a good suggestion for further reading.  It really seems to vary a lot.  Common wisdom is that the more you seek to replicate a western lifestyle, the more expensive it will get.  For most, it's not too hard to adapt to a more Filipino lifestyle and it becomes more affordable.  I would guess your armed forces pension will at least cover the basics quite nicely.  It probably exceeds by some margin what your neighbors will be living on.

We look forward to hearing about the actual move and settling in.  I hope you'll share the adventure.  You'll probably find people on this board a resource.  There is a wealth of collective experience and wisdom here on just about every aspect of moving to and living in the Phils.  I am now a bit removed from it, but most here are living it every day. 

Offline Tim_L

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 03:39:49 PM »
Oh, first question;  Will I be able to survive on $20,000 US per month?    ::)  2nd;  How can I get $20,000 per month?

I would think that you could live pretty much anywhere on $20K US per month. How can you get that much per month? That's a question for you I guess. I'm certainly not making that much so, I don't know.

Offline Drew

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 09:06:07 AM »
I would think that you could live pretty much anywhere on $20K US per month. How can you get that much per month? That's a question for you I guess. I'm certainly not making that much so, I don't know.

I was just being facetiousTim as I know that's the one question so many people ask so was yanking a chain is all.  I'm at the human level - a couple K and pretty much have my plan and expectations farily well grounded.

Offline Tim_L

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 10:45:59 PM »
I was just being facetiousTim as I know that's the one question so many people ask so was yanking a chain is all.  I'm at the human level - a couple K and pretty much have my plan and expectations farily well grounded.

Ahhhhh... Gotcha... Well, you got me on that one. hahaha....

Offline Drew

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 05:43:48 PM »
Hi Heste,

You say you met your Filipina there.  May I ask how she ended up in rural Alberta?  Did she come to Canada on a work visa?  Previous marriage to a kano?  Also, may I ask how much time you have spent in the Phils?

My wife (Suzi) was widowed for fifteen years when I met her online in 2013 and after almost a year of exchanging notes arranged for her to come here as a tourist.  We were married a few months later and proceeded to get her PR. 

Myself, I've never been to the Phil although I spent a couple of years in the ME and Europe where the weather gets pretty hot and traffic, life in general and ways of doing things are different, unique and strange to say the least.  I doubt the Phil can surprise me but, famous last words …. :)

The plan did not go as planned.  We ended up staying in Vancouver for 6 years, then moving to our present location. 

You know what Moltke said - “No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.”  which Tyson translated to - "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  I think to just accept that life isn’t a laid out set of instructions and maybe we’re just supposed to roll with it sometimes.  I hope that’s the case as so far my life has been like a jumbled up Barrel of Monkeys. I know i spent my life running after things that seemed to get further away.  My wife says I stress out on things that don't matter and need to relax.  Time to throw the plans out the window maybe.

From what you have said, I think you are in for a positive change.  As you said, no real connections before, now you'll be enveloped by family and community.  Family and community work a bit differently there, but not in a bad way and you perhaps have some experience already.

I thank you for that.  I agree that it will be positive for the most part and am aware of the negative part where a lot of gringos are used as an ATM however, I seem to have a pretty good guard on that part as she has been intent on taking great pains to show the family that they are not to ask for money and in fact, when one of them encounters a problem that is great difficulty to them and small in cash for me ($100 - $400) they propose it in the form of a loan and then she sets up a repayment schedule. I look at it like a gift but, so far, the few times this has happened she has made sure it’s got paid back.

I used to be an attention whore when I was young but have mellowed out in my recent years. Maybe I’m just getting to lazy to throw the energy into it LMAO.   I turn beat red when I am a focal point and I sort of fear people thinking I don’t like them but, my wife will smooth the way I’m sure.

As for cost of living, Lee has already made a good suggestion for further reading.  It really seems to vary a lot.  Common wisdom is that the more you seek to replicate a western lifestyle, the more expensive it will get.  For most, it's not too hard to adapt to a more Filipino lifestyle and it becomes more affordable.  I would guess your armed forces pension will at least cover the basics quite nicely.  It probably exceeds by some margin what your neighbors will be living on.

Already had a look at that stuff, (Thanks Lee!) will peruse it to death in the next couple of months and beyond. Maybe adding in some of my own ideas and or findings.  Suzi knows what I like to do and eat so should be able to find same or, a close replacement for same.  I look at that as key to survival as I would find it pretty hard to make ends meet as a single guy on his own trying to find a deal on anything in that world.

We look forward to hearing about the actual move and settling in.  I hope you'll share the adventure.  You'll probably find people on this board a resource.  There is a wealth of collective experience and wisdom here on just about every aspect of moving to and living in the Phils.  I am now a bit removed from it, but most here are living it every day.

You bet!  Thanks to all for the welcome and the kind words.  I’m going to be pretty busy for a bit but will be lurking  - and learning! 8)

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog