Author Topic: I am so confused  (Read 2767 times)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: I am so confused
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 04:04:55 PM »
This might be location dependent as well Joel.  While none of us take any meds on a regular basis, there have been times when some have needed things such as antibiotics among other types of meds and we have never had a problem getting any of these.   Based on many of the posts I have read over the years, it seems like many many many things are hard to find the further you get away from Manila or Cebu.   Is that accurate?
Not sure.  Almost everything I've needed has been found at Mercury, but some just isn't.  There are things I have found at the Mercury in Tacloban but not at ours.  When Tina asked her cousin who works there about it he said he's sure he's seen it and even took Tina there(were were only a half a block away) to prove it.  He asked the counter girl to grab it.  She went to look and said it's not in stock then look on the computer to check and make sure it doesn't say it is.  Sure enough, it wasn't.  But, the reason behind that is the new manager did want to stock it any more.  That simple.  Since I've been here 5 years the manager of the Mercury has changed 4 times.  Some choose to stock things and take other things out of stock that was in stock.  All depends on the manager some times.  So it's not that the can't get it where I live, in this case, it's that the refuse to stock it.
I feel a lot of places are like this.  It's not what a location of a pharmacy, resto, etc can or can't get, but what they choose to stock or not stock. Same with the immigration offices.  Been through a few of those in my local office and each has changed the system, for good or bad on multiple occasions as well as at one time the whole office was shut down for about 8 months or so. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »
Although I usually bring my medication with me for our stays, I have found that getting some meds I ran out of over our 24 years of going to the Philippines to be challenging at times, usually having to try a different one, which in one case worked out great for me. I had run out or Prednisone during one long stay so my wife asked in a few drug stores for some, the answer was no each time, until one said they had Medrol which is another form of Prednisone, so my wife bought it and it turned out that it worked even better for me than the original one I had been taking and to this day I take Medrol instead of Prednisone whenever I have an attack.

Another time a friend needed Nitro for his heart, my wife and his wife went into the same drug store who had sold us the Medrol and they sold her Nitro in a small bottle. A few years later I needed some Nitro as a backup when I realized the one I was carrying was old and that same store and others no longer sold it. And this year I had my wife buy some Medrol for me while there and last month a friend needed some when his luggage did not make it to the Philippines so I told him where we had bought ours, his wife went in and they told his wife they were out of stock or maybe they just would not sell it to her, not sure.

One more time I needed an antibiotic so we stopped at a generic pharmacy and my wife asked, they refused to sell it to her, so I went over and asked and they asked me what I needed it for and sold it to me when they were satisfied I was legit, so getting meds can be hit and miss even if you have bought the same meds a number of times at a particular pharmacy, best to always keep a backup supply since in the Philippines they usually sell meds by the piece instead of a bottle of pills. 
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Dawg

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 08:04:37 PM »
I've actually found it easier to get meds since moving to the province. (don't plan on that it may just be my area)

As far as antibiotics they have no problem handing it over. In Cebu City it may have taken several different stops until someone would sell us antibiotics without a script.

Funny thing...I take a cholesterol lowering med at 40 mg. Asked for it at our local pharmacy and was told, "no have sair". Disappointed I told my wife and she marched back there only to find I could get it in 20 mg. so I didn't have to go without, just doubled the # of pills. You have to work all the angles and have the med name written that you can hand them.

Offline Larry B

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 05:26:11 AM »
Well thanx for the reply Dawg
                                           My plan is for San Fernando La Union. My X wife is from Vigan so i passed it once about 20 years ago. Had I known
                That this would someday be my retirement plan, I would have paid closer observations. Anyhow things change in 20 years : ) . My scripts
                are pain killers , 2 for high blood pressure ( 2 wives can do that to anyone ) topax for head aches & xanax because i have a nervs issue .Do
                you think I'll have any problems over there with that ? Tell me about you ? where you from ? and what you miss most not living in the States ?

Thanx for your time
                                                                                                       Larry B
" Once you stop learning, you start dying "

Albert Einstein

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 09:01:44 PM »
Well thanx for the reply Dawg
                                           My plan is for San Fernando La Union. My X wife is from Vigan so i passed it once about 20 years ago. Had I known
                That this would someday be my retirement plan, I would have paid closer observations. Anyhow things change in 20 years : ) . My scripts
                are pain killers , 2 for high blood pressure ( 2 wives can do that to anyone ) topax for head aches & xanax because i have a nervs issue .Do
                you think I'll have any problems over there with that ? Tell me about you ? where you from ? and what you miss most not living in the States ?

Thanx for your time
                                                                                                       Larry B
Xanor is the name for Xanax here Topamax is the same and sold under a few different brands.  MIMS Philippines is an awesome site you should sign up for if you want to know what medications are available here. Sometimes the brand name you are familiar with is not available so search are the generic name and you will normally find it under a different name.

Edit by Steve: Fixed Quote.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:08:42 AM by Steve & Myrlita »

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 05:17:39 AM »

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog