Author Topic: Air travel wisdom economy or foolishness?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Pelican

Air travel wisdom economy or foolishness?
« on: May 07, 2018, 12:30:08 PM »
From USA to Davao tickets run $2,000.  From USA to Manila the same ticket runs $1,100 and a Cebu airline from Manila to Davao is only $135.00.   It seems logical to book flight to Manila, and then initiate purchase for Cebu airlines for next flight to Davao.  So, it does seem possible to save $800.00.  Have I overlooked anything?

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Air travel wisdom economy or foolishness?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 01:03:14 PM »
I just looked at Cheapoair and found flight from LAX to Davao for $1200-1300 using PAL.  Using them hopefully you don't need to change terminals in Manila which can be a PIA.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 03:36:55 PM »
One friend recently arrived on China Eastern using Cheapoair to book and he paid only $650 from Fort Lauderdale to NY on JetBlue and then on to Shanghai and then directly to Cebu both on China Eastern maybe look for their flights.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 05:31:27 PM »
Give kayak.com a try.  You can choose +/-3 days and get a 49 days option grid in prices.  When I was looking for flights to Chicago prices were the same in low end with maybe a slight edge to leaving from Clark of all places. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:07:31 AM by JoeLP »
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 05:55:18 PM »
I also should mention that in order to get those very inexpensive flights, you should book months in advance, I think my friend booked in November or December for his March 1st flight, the cheap flights go fast.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline marshie

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 06:17:04 PM »
^My favorite topics on here are about traveling / bookingnflights/ deals :)

You can try looking at skyscanner.com to search for flights and also if there are any deals on fly4free.com.  What I like about skyscanner is that you can input cheapest month/specific month and don’t necessary need the specific date then just choose once the prices are shown.

Other than airlines’ website, I was able to book and fly on booking made in onetravel.com (same company as cheapoair.com based on what I’ve read) and expedia.com.

Yes, to save, booking needs to be made in advance for more than 3months ahead except if it is domestic flights within US (as they release promo / deals for flights less than 3months from booking date).

Offline caronsabuas

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 10:36:24 PM »
I just booked a flight for February on All Nippon Airways ORD-NRT-MNL round trip for $613 a person two weeks ago. I never buy domestic flights before I arrive in Manila though. A nice stop over at my sister-in laws house, a little tourism and book the flights I want. In my opinion was too much can go wrong if you book while outside the country or even as part of an international flight. The MNL to BCD tickets I usually buy are generally around $120 pp r/t. YMMV
“ To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.”

Offline caronsabuas

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 10:37:59 PM »
I should mention that I booked directly through ANA's website. The aggregators offered no advantage in my case this time.
“ To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.”

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 11:01:25 PM »
One small advantage to booking the local flight together with the long haul flight is that the luggage can be passed through at whatever amount is allowed for the international flight.  Still usually have to handle/transfer it,  but the cost will be ok for it.  Usually the local flights have much smaller luggage and charge much for extra.  If traveling light,  then it would be no help.
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog