Author Topic: ‘Foreigners should follow the law’  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
‘Foreigners should follow the law’
« on: April 18, 2018, 06:49:06 AM »
Something very important to be aware of while in the Philippines..It is their country, not ours, if we are not of Filipino blood.
Foreigners – regardless of their race, beliefs or political affiliations – should follow the country’s laws, administration officials and senators said yesterday as they defended the overnight detention of a 71-year-old Australian Catholic missionary and the deportation of an Italian activist.

“It is unlawful for aliens staying in our country to engage in partisan political activities, and the government has the right to refuse entry to those who have committed these illegal acts in the past,” Guevarra said.
Read more
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: ‘Foreigners should follow the law’
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 08:46:58 AM »
From the common sense police...."No sh!t Sherlock!".   ;D

Isn't this the way it should be for every country?  Yes, the USA is completely screwing it up with the whole sense of those flaunting the law(illegal immigrants) being accepted by some of the native politicians while others want them deported and all.  But most countries just don't put up with it.  Why should the Philippines be any different.

I'm surprised any government officials even need to say this.  Should just be common sense.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »
From the common sense police...."No sh!t Sherlock!".   ;D

Isn't this the way it should be for every country?  Yes, the USA is completely screwing it up with the whole sense of those flaunting the law(illegal immigrants) being accepted by some of the native politicians while others want them deported and all.  But most countries just don't put up with it.  Why should the Philippines be any different.

I'm surprised any government officials even need to say this.  Should just be common sense.

I agree completely.  These guys that come from a lax country of which there are several, but I know of one for sure that likes being abused, think they can pull whatever crap they feel like doing here. The Philippines is just upholding the law and doing good by bouncing their sorry butts out the door.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline FRaymie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 10:05:56 PM »
I agree with the 'common sense' approach. It's interesting however, that as a daily reader of the forum for a few years (only recently making input) I've noticed that this 'above' the law attitude causes many of the issues the forum addresses. We foreigners sometimes develop a condescending attitude toward our host and let it show. I for example,  only stay in the PI about 4-6 months a year. Yet, sometimes I find myself thinking 'this is BS, we don't do this or that in San Antonio! Well it's not Texas, or USA or London, Sidney, Paris, etc. etc. We're guests and we should learn to act more like it, even if it's not quite our taste! If we come to their house and act like fool, we should be shown the door!!

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 10:52:57 AM »
I agree with the 'common sense' approach. It's interesting however, that as a daily reader of the forum for a few years (only recently making input) I've noticed that this 'above' the law attitude causes many of the issues the forum addresses. We foreigners sometimes develop a condescending attitude toward our host and let it show. I for example,  only stay in the PI about 4-6 months a year. Yet, sometimes I find myself thinking 'this is BS, we don't do this or that in San Antonio! Well it's not Texas, or USA or London, Sidney, Paris, etc. etc. We're guests and we should learn to act more like it, even if it's not quite our taste! If we come to their house and act like fool, we should be shown the door!!
Agreed, and yet, somethings are bullshit :)     Most of the "bullshit" encounters I have experienced are more of the head scratching variety, such is building lamp posts or telephone posts in the street, or restaurants that have about 20 percent of the food available that is listed on the menu etc.   As far as actual laws, the problem is not really the laws, it is the fact that very few people follow laws.     One drive just about anywhere will reinforce the overall mindset of many people here, or a walk in the "park" that is littered with trash

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 01:13:54 PM »
Agreed, and yet, somethings are bullshit :)     Most of the "bullshit" encounters I have experienced are more of the head scratching variety, such is building lamp posts or telephone posts in the street, or restaurants that have about 20 percent of the food available that is listed on the menu etc.   As far as actual laws, the problem is not really the laws, it is the fact that very few people follow laws.     One drive just about anywhere will reinforce the overall mindset of many people here, or a walk in the "park" that is littered with trash

I have not seen them build lamp post or telephone polls in the streets.  I have seen them extend the street/roads around the existing lamp posts/telephone poles/trees and maybe comeback at a later date and remove them then repair the road. Yes one drive is around will change your driving habits.

See the entrance to your subdivision has finally been completed.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 10:11:32 PM »
The complete "law system" is different in the Phils than what I think most of us "1st world foreigners" are used to.  I think you have to let it grow on you.
I sat in the embassy talking to an American who has been in the Phils now for 22 years.  During his time fighting in Vietnam he would do is R&R in the Phils.  When he finished his time in the Army he couldn't take it in the USA.  As soon as he had the chance he went back to the Phils and has been her since.  At one point in our talk he said if he did the same stuff he did here in the Philippines but in the USA, he'd probably be locked up 20 times over already in some form or fashion.  From getting his little niece and nephews to buy him some beer from the SariSari to the way he drives and much more.  And the stuff that didn't get him arrested would earn him dirty looks like the fact that his GF is 35 years his junior and looks 50 years his junior. 
When I was in Germany for work, I enjoyed the whole way they handled their drinking legalities with the age and all that.  I think it was much better setup than what the US does.  It allows for more of the teaching to be done at home.  Put the responsibility on the family/parents.
The Philippines is that way also, but in much more ways of life than just alcohol.  Almost very part of life is run that way.  The opportunities are there...but it's up to you and in a way, your parents to teach you how to take advantage of what is there.  But if you are lazy, ungrateful, or just don't care...it's real real easy to fall between the cracks. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 10:48:00 PM »
Almost very part of life is run that way.  The opportunities are there...but it's up to you and in a way, your parents to teach you how to take advantage of what is there.  But if you are lazy, ungrateful, or just don't care...it's real real easy to fall between the cracks.

Exactly how I see it also.  I believe that a person can/could do/live better in the Philippines than even western countries if the parents can and WILL  and are able to help and teach the child.  In western or places like USA,  a young person can really blaze there own path in case they don't have any help.  In the Philippines it is almost impossible to bootstrap from nothing and without capital.  But with an expat parent that really care like the ones I read about here,  they can have every opportunity.  The common theme here seems to be wanting to do the right thing,  albeit disagreeing on how to do it.

Foreigners should follow the law...   of course they should.  The difficult thing (for me)  is to watch others that do not follow the law and get away with it.  After a while I feel like a chump for following the laws.  It does sometimes catch up with them.
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog