Author Topic: Facebook launches dating service  (Read 440 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Facebook launches dating service
« on: May 04, 2018, 11:24:51 AM »
This should be interesting, at least as it relates to the Philippines.

Facebook’s feature will be opt-in, meaning you have to choose to use it. Like Tinder, it’ll use just your first name. The Facebook dating profile you’ll create will be separate from your regular Facebook profile.

It won’t suggest your friends as people you might want to date, even if your 500-plus “friends” include random acquaintances–or crushes. Your dating profile won’t show up on your news feed or be visible to friends; it’s only for others using the dating service.
READ MORE HERE
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: Facebook launches dating service
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 07:59:04 PM »
I'm guessing there'll be a lot of that used between local pinays and the foreign guys here.  $10 gets ya Tina will join right away then never stop talking about it til I join. 
Less than 50 foreigners live between Babon, Catarman and Mondragon and can think of 5-8 that will use that service.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 05:28:06 AM »
Any account that you start on Farcebook will spread all of your personal information around the planet within minutes. You'll start receiving emails, phone calls and solicitation from numbers of people and organizations you never heard of, and likely won't want to hear from again. But it'll be too late. You might as well buy a billboard in Makati and post your name, address, phone number, social security number and sexual preferences. It will be that bad.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline FRaymie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 07:44:46 AM »
I don't totally disagree with you GrayWolf, as you are one of the wise sages of the forum!! I'm not a big fan of FB myself, but it's not quite as bad as you indicate. There is no FB requirement for much of the info that you think will be shared. (e.g. Email, SSAN, address, Phone). I'm sure some of this becomes available because folks share without thinking. The dating site, however,  regardless of the sponsor, is a terrible idea for the PI.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 08:29:50 AM »
I don't totally disagree with you GrayWolf, as you are one of the wise sages of the forum!! I'm not a big fan of FB myself, but it's not quite as bad as you indicate. There is no FB requirement for much of the info that you think will be shared. (e.g. Email, SSAN, address, Phone). I'm sure some of this becomes available because folks share without thinking. The dating site, however,  regardless of the sponsor, is a terrible idea for the PI.

You need to give either your email address or mobile phone# to join FB.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline FRaymie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 09:28:50 AM »
Really, I gave neither and have been a member for several years (2008). I have a userID (not email) and my profile has no personal info. Will look again to see if something in the profile has personal stuff. I know there are many ads that show up on the FB timeline page if you do any searches via a search engine (Google, etc). Again, I'm not a supporter of the Dating Site for the PI, but not sure all of the personal info is shared if it's not provided. Thanks.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »
If signed up via a computer then they ask for email address, I had to give them one years ago, I have an account I only use for messenger or searching online, and if signed up via a phone, then they want a phone number, with Philippines numbers being so easy to get and untraceable and no spam calls while in the Philippines, so as long as you do not use that number to contact friends and family with, I have no problem giving them one of the extra ones we keep active for business type calls, such as if we are interested in buying something we found online, and besides, they apparently need one for recovery if you get locked out of your account.

The sad part in the U.S. is that nowadays there are so many spam calls and they come from machines that program a false number so you cannot even complain about them because you do not have the actual number they called from, so at least in the Philippines we do not have to put up with spam calls, one more great thing about living in the Philippines.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline FRaymie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 09:48:32 AM »
Chuck, Lee,....mea copa!! I just looked at the settings in privacy and found my email and a very old Vegas Phone number from 2009. So they do have info that I thought was not available. Sorry.....for once I was sure I was correct.....again wrong. I'll leave the number since they obviously don't use it. Still concur that the Dating Site is bad idea!

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »
Any account that you start on Farcebook will spread all of your personal information around the planet within minutes. You'll start receiving emails, phone calls and solicitation from numbers of people and organizations you never heard of, and likely won't want to hear from again. But it'll be too late. You might as well buy a billboard in Makati and post your name, address, phone number, social security number and sexual preferences. It will be that bad.
wow, that doesnt happen to me?  I have had fb for about 10 years, maybe a little longer

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »
wow, that doesnt happen to me?  I have had fb for about 10 years, maybe a little longer

Me neither.  I have noticed a few targeted ads on FB itself, but nothing in my email and definitely no phone calls.
Londoner at heart

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »
Chuck, Lee,....mea copa!! I just looked at the settings in privacy and found my email and a very old Vegas Phone number from 2009. So they do have info that I thought was not available. Sorry.....for once I was sure I was correct.....again wrong. I'll leave the number since they obviously don't use it. Still concur that the Dating Site is bad idea!

Thank you! My statement stands as correct and is backed up by the Congressional hearings
Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog