Author Topic: The Philippines verses first world  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: The Philippines verses first world
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 08:47:37 PM »
Ladyboys are abound in the Philippines, I have even seen some in the men's bathroom (CR) in malls, I have never seen that while in the states but I am guessing it has to exist in some areas such as LA, the Keys and others, where gay and transgender people are more abundant, thou I have never seen it when I had been to those areas. In other words, I think it is a good thing that the Philippines and Filipinos are more relaxed/comfortable and even open when it comes to other than straight, there does not seem to be as many or even any homophobes in the Philippines, that is IMO definitely a good thing.

One thing I do not like, which is not necessarily a negative item, except when it comes to me trying to find which phone to buy/use, there are way too many phone types and way too many phone stores and basically they all have the same price on phones and accessories, so what good is it that the competition is present, when they all seem to price fix.

Another great item IMO is the availability of public transportation such as Jeepneys, thus making it even less expensive to get around than the inexpensive taxis.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 10:24:46 PM »
Not a problem at all, bro. I just wanted to be sure that everyone understood my living situation. In the past I received a lot of negative comments from others about me being the Admin/Mod/List Guide for this forum and the Yahoo group since I didn't live full time in the Philippines. I've made it clear to all those I've talked with over the years about my connection with the country. Maybe during my next visit I can arrange with the warden to let me off leash so I can come visit

Come visit?  Who, you talking about?  Me?  You're kidding or what?  If not, yeah, sure or meet up.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 08:13:17 AM »
We live a pretty much sheltered life in our gated community which we feel safe and sound. I call it our special niche that has most of the modern convienances and amminities like 1st world we need within a 7 mile radius. Having our own vehicle to get around is most convient not having to rely on the local public transportation. I feel the air quality is pretty clean in our suburban area and trash is collected twice a week with minimal burning of rubbish.
We've live here now about 20 yrs and here we shall stay for many more years to come.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 08:05:34 PM »
We live a pretty much sheltered life in our gated community which we feel safe and sound. I call it our special niche that has most of the modern convienances and amminities like 1st world we need within a 7 mile radius. Having our own vehicle to get around is most convient not having to rely on the local public transportation. I feel the air quality is pretty clean in our suburban area and trash is collected twice a week with minimal burning of rubbish.
We've live here now about 20 yrs and here we shall stay for many more years to come.

Same exactly except for the 20 yrs.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 06:13:06 PM »
I'm glad you and I always get a chance to meet up Jack, you're a hell of a nice guy.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 07:26:17 AM »
A great item about the Philippines and a pain while in the U.S. is all the solicitation phone calls, we get a few a day since getting back to Florida from numbers we do not know, yet, so far none while in the Philippines except an occasional incoming text, which is a lot better than these annoying calls which BTW I never answer.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 01:33:27 AM »
Come visit?  Who, you talking about?  Me?  You're kidding or what?  If not, yeah, sure or meet up.

No, not kidding. It would be quite the trip getting from my neck of the woods down to yours, but if I can pull it off, I'd love to meet up and share a meal along with a cold one. Maybe we could meet up halfway. Another year almost before my next trip over, so no rush to make arrangements, but I'd love to try.

During my last two visits Dan (Medic3500) and I met at the local Mall along with our girls and enjoyed a good conversation and drinks
Louisville, KY USA

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »
No, not kidding. It would be quite the trip getting from my neck of the woods down to yours, but if I can pull it off, I'd love to meet up and share a meal along with a cold one. Maybe we could meet up halfway. Another year almost before my next trip over, so no rush to make arrangements, but I'd love to try.

During my last two visits Dan (Medic3500) and I met at the local Mall along with our girls and enjoyed a good conversation and drinks

Yeah, sounds like a winner.  Real good chance I could.  You are talking about Caloocan would be your base while there.  Right?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 12:03:50 PM »
Yeah, sounds like a winner.  Real good chance I could.  You are talking about Caloocan would be your base while there.  Right?

You are correct. North side of Caloocan. As time nears for our visit we'll discuss it further. Look forward to meeting you, if possible
Louisville, KY USA

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 02:19:02 PM »
You are correct. North side of Caloocan. As time nears for our visit we'll discuss it further. Look forward to meeting you, if possible

Ok, thanks.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 02:57:46 PM »
K - back on topic. I find the longer I am here the more accepting I am becoming and enjoy life more. 5 years now so I have a list of positives.
1. Almost Total absence of serious crime in Gingoog. I heard of one shooting about 2 years ago. Otherwise I leave doors unlocked, helmet on bike, items open to public etc. Never a hint of theft or violence (except from foreigners!).
2. Cheap labour. I can get furniture made by welders and carpenters at a fraction of the price back home (Ireland). Electricians and plumbers are very cheap also. Just have to double check that they actually know about the work.
3. Polite people. The foreigners often stand out as very impolite in comparison.
4. Peace of Mind as Bud mentioned. No need to watch who will be coming after you next: Banks, Lawyers, Trivial lawsuits...  A point to note here is if there is a complaint or dispute between two people then It must go through Two Reconciliation meetings at barangay level before being allowed on to legal proceedings. This is brilliant and generally leads to early settlement at no cost for lawyers.
5. Someone mentioned that they spray on the public highways for bugs in Florida. No Thanks!!! I do not trust the Bayer and Monsanto people spraying me with chemicals. Here I just ensure the place is kept spotless and floors mopped with clean mops twice a day. Not a cockroach or mouse in sight for four months now. Ants are also only a very minor problem.
(On the issue of insects it depends at what height above sea-level you are. At sea level I find them minimal as they do not like the heat. Anything above 1,000 meters and they can be an infestation. )
6. Of course a number one positive is all the beautiful women.

My only real negative is that I cannot communicate well enough in Bisayan and therefore I get my blood pressure up needlessly. In those circumstances many foreigners actually consider the Philippinos stupid because they "do not understand" the foreigners English (which usually is clouded in accents and idioms that make it difficult even for some native English speakers to understand). Simple communication is the main problem for most foreigners - and is their OWN fault for not learning the Philippine Language.

WHEW. That was a long one but I have wanted to write some of those comments for a while as some of those issues keep repeating.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 07:23:44 PM »
Thanks James, I hope others will continue with their positives as well, and while some get upset when negatives are listed, I feel it is better for people who will be new to the Philippines, to know the negatives, rather than for them to get surprised and upset by them once they move to the Philippines.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 12:21:22 AM »

WHEW. That was a long one but I have wanted to write some of those comments for a while as some of those issues keep repeating.

Nice list,  I can agree with it.
“Old men do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“Keep on rocking in the free world”

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 02:56:39 PM »
K - back on topic. I find the longer I am here the more accepting I am becoming and enjoy life more. 5 years now so I have a list of positives.
1. Almost Total absence of serious crime in Gingoog. I heard of one shooting about 2 years ago. Otherwise I leave doors unlocked, helmet on bike, items open to public etc. Never a hint of theft or violence (except from foreigners!).
2. Cheap labour. I can get furniture made by welders and carpenters at a fraction of the price back home (Ireland). Electricians and plumbers are very cheap also. Just have to double check that they actually know about the work.
3. Polite people. The foreigners often stand out as very impolite in comparison.
4. Peace of Mind as Bud mentioned. No need to watch who will be coming after you next: Banks, Lawyers, Trivial lawsuits...  A point to note here is if there is a complaint or dispute between two people then It must go through Two Reconciliation meetings at barangay level before being allowed on to legal proceedings. This is brilliant and generally leads to early settlement at no cost for lawyers.
5. Someone mentioned that they spray on the public highways for bugs in Florida. No Thanks!!! I do not trust the Bayer and Monsanto people spraying me with chemicals. Here I just ensure the place is kept spotless and floors mopped with clean mops twice a day. Not a cockroach or mouse in sight for four months now. Ants are also only a very minor problem.
(On the issue of insects it depends at what height above sea-level you are. At sea level I find them minimal as they do not like the heat. Anything above 1,000 meters and they can be an infestation. )

My only real negative is that I cannot communicate well enough in Bisayan and therefore I get my blood pressure up needlessly. In those circumstances many foreigners actually consider the Philippinos stupid because they "do not understand" the foreigners English (which usually is clouded in accents and idioms that make it difficult even for some native English speakers to understand). Simple communication is the main problem for most foreigners - and is their OWN fault for not learning the Philippine Language.

Good post and I agree totally.
Londoner at heart

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 03:06:52 AM »

Most positive post from you ever. Seems the years have mellowed you a bit. Thanks for sharing!  :)
Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog