Author Topic: The Philippines verses first world  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Tim_L

Re: The Philippines verses first world
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 12:17:32 PM »
Agree with you BudM. I live in Jax too and basically gave up even watching the news. Honestly, I can't wait to get the heck out of here. Drugs and thugs are taking this place over. 33 more days and I'll be in the wind to Cebu!

Getting back to the theme of the thread though, overall it's just prices that make things better in the Philippines. Well, besides the women. hahaha.... Having said that, if you want to live a middle-class US lifestyle there, I find it's more costly. Especially if you're trying to eat western foods.
Plenty of killings going on there just like here. Just not too many government officials being gunned down like there's been there lately. Traffic is a nightmare there, not so much here unless you're in NYC or LA or something.
Infrastructure in the US compared to the Philippines is no comparison at all. We plan first here. They don't plan at all and just seem to wing it there. Corruption is off the chain over there as well. Pollution there, good God!!! Never saw anything like it in my life.
Flights win hands down in the Philippines. You can't even look at a plane in the US for $40. lol
And in the US, I'm not a walking ATM to everyone I meet. hahahaha....

I don't know about it all really but I know things are a lot better here.  And these problems you bring up are near non-existent where I am.  And yes, there are pest control companies around.  The only thing I have difficulty with those is those freaking ants you talk about all the time.  They show up every so often out of no where.

As far as back in Florida.  I read news from there every day from one of the local TV stations in Jacksonville.  And ever day it is the same story.  This number of people were shot yesterday while playing video games inside there homes from a drive by and this number of people were shot driving down the road and this number of people from people upset about their driving and this number of people got run over and this number of people were taken to the hospitals and this number of people were arrested for various other things.  It is sad though how all of these people who died at the hands of others or because of them being dumb as dirt were such kind loving people who never did any wrong or hurt anyone and helped everyone out along with not deserving to die.   Why could it not be someone else?  But, that is ok.  There are always the lawyers who find their prey and do not have too much trouble convincing the families victims to sue, sue, and sue some more.

I sure am glad I am somewhere that I don't have to worry about all that crap finally.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 02:46:04 PM »
33 more days and I'll be in the wind to Cebu!

*Plenty of killings going on there just like here. Just not too many government officials being gunned down like there's been there lately. *Traffic is a nightmare there, not so much here unless you're in NYC or LA or something.
*Infrastructure in the US compared to the Philippines is no comparison at all. We plan first here. They don't plan at all and just seem to    wing it there.
*Corruption is off the chain over there as well.
*Pollution there, good God!!! Never saw anything like it in my life.
*And in the US, I'm not a walking ATM to everyone I meet. hahahaha....

It doesn't sound like you have much to look forward to here, apart rom the girls.  Are you quite sure that you're looking forward to heading over here in 33 days?
Londoner at heart

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »
Agree with you BudM. I live in Jax too and basically gave up even watching the news. Honestly, I can't wait to get the heck out of here. Drugs and thugs are taking this place over. 33 more days and I'll be in the wind to Cebu!

Getting back to the theme of the thread though, overall it's just prices that make things better in the Philippines. Well, besides the women. hahaha.... Having said that, if you want to live a middle-class US lifestyle there, I find it's more costly. Especially if you're trying to eat western foods.
Plenty of killings going on there just like here. Just not too many government officials being gunned down like there's been there lately. Traffic is a nightmare there, not so much here unless you're in NYC or LA or something.
Infrastructure in the US compared to the Philippines is no comparison at all. We plan first here. They don't plan at all and just seem to wing it there. Corruption is off the chain over there as well. Pollution there, good God!!! Never saw anything like it in my life.
Flights win hands down in the Philippines. You can't even look at a plane in the US for $40. lol
And in the US, I'm not a walking ATM to everyone I meet. hahahaha....
You got me as to why you can't wait to get the heck out of there.  To where?  Here?  You agree with me about Jacksonville but then you turn around and paint the Philippines as just as bad or worse.  Over here is just like there.  There are bad places and there are good.  And to me personally, the bad things about that place outweigh the bad things about this place.  I am basically ok when it comes to dealing with the bad things here.  Maybe though, if it was to get worse, my opinion would change.  And as far as you thinking the only good thing about here are the costs of living and the women, well yeah, I am not going to live in a way that I only need to spend 500 bucks a month?  What for?  I don't have to so it will cost me.  And although, yeah, I do have a preference for Filipina, but there are women all over the world.  So neither of your apparently (only???) two good reasons for living here were the basis for my decision.

And Jacksonville downright sucks now a days.  I don't how long you have lived there but I put in 40 years plus a couple months and watched it go from a pretty decent and nice city to live in to one of the armpits of the US in short order.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Tim_L

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 10:16:29 PM »
Well, I didnít say that I was staying forever. Hahaha
Long enough to have some fun, bounce around, check things out. Use it as a launching point to check out other parts of Asia. Fortunately, I am self employed and can work from anywhere with a solid internet connection and power. Iím not a young pup any more so, who knows if Iíll ever get another chance to do this. ;)

Originally from PA, moved to Jacksonville in 2003 and have been here since.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2018, 09:46:52 AM »
Well, I didnít say that I was staying forever. Hahaha
Long enough to have some fun, bounce around, check things out. Use it as a launching point to check out other parts of Asia. Fortunately, I am self employed and can work from anywhere with a solid internet connection and power. Iím not a young pup any more so, who knows if Iíll ever get another chance to do this. ;)

Originally from PA, moved to Jacksonville in 2003 and have been here since.

Ahhh, ok.  Wasn't that you asking about Pampanga?  Yeah, that area might be good for you.  Close to Angeles City.  You apparently appear to have a different outlook than I at least currently.  Have fun.  By the way upstate NY and then to Jax in '73 but when vacationing up north, around central PA area a lot.  Down south had an ex-gf in south Georgia and spent a lot of years there on weekends.  Got further off in from 95 and she had numerous relatives who wanted to shoot me for being one of those damn Yankees.  No joke.  Savage aunts and uncles.  So much for first world.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Tim_L

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 11:01:16 PM »
Yes, it was and thank you. :) Yeah, they definitely breed a whole different bunch down south. Hahaha
Fu** em if they canít take a joke. ;)

Offline Dawg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2018, 07:44:51 AM »
Well, we always tend to focus on the bad stuff and miss a lot of the good things around us, small though they may be.

I love the fact that when I go to a store and purchase a "product" that the personnel unbox the unit, put it together and plug it in if necessary to make sure it works. In the US you buy it and go home hoping it works...here you know it works before cashing out. They even test light bulbs before you buy!

Lee has already talked about cheap transportation in cabs which is true. I love riding the jeepneys! 8 pesos, (yeah...price hike from 7), takes me pretty much where I want to go. And...you get to meet a lot of interesting peeps on the way. Yeah, I know, hot crowded and sometimes smelly exhaust but if we are going slow enough that we are breathing traffic fumes we get off and walk or catch one of those cheap cabs.

I love the weather! Being from Central Florida I don't feel much difference in the Philippines other than the winter. There always seems to be a breeze and when it gets too hot I've got a good AC.

The people are some of the nicest I've met in all my travels. They are quick to laugh and eager to get to hear stories about the outside world. It seems everyone has a relative or a friend near where you come from as an OFW.

Hot Pan!!! Okay, this one is not really good, (for me), as it turns to belly fat which I already have too much of. But, it seems every turn puts you in front of a little bakery and if you ask there is usually something hot out of the oven. I like to get a sack full of Pan, for 5 pesos each, and when the beggar kids come around I'll give them a sweet roll. I stopped giving money when one took his 5 pesos and ran over to buy 2 cigarettes from a street vendor. He shared with his sister but I hated to see an 8 & 10 year old smoking.

What you focus on grows in your life. I know. I used to focus on crappy stuff all the time and guess what...my life was crappy. When I started focusing on the positive things, as little as they might be, my life became more positive. I know that's an overly simple statement but it is true. I met a local at the open air market a few weeks ago. He had 1 arm and no legs. As we chatted it came to me that this guy was the most positive guy I have met in the Philippines. He did not beg or complain, he just smiled and talked about how good life is. Of course I gave him a couple of bills but how refreshing to meet someone with that kind of attitude.

Life doesn't always work out the way you expect
Sometimes it's better!

Offline User444

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2018, 07:21:45 PM »
The Jeepneys did another price hike! 9 pesos now in Manila! : )
This is my list of what makes the PH so unique (see if you can find these in other countries):
1. Comfort room or CR aka bathroom (the first time I heard this, I had no idea what it was)
2. Jose Rizal is the PH hero, like the George Washington of the States. His statue is everywhere
3. Banana ketchup (really?! there's no tomatoes in this and it's red?) and halo halo (mix mix dessert)
4. Jeepneys
5. Kiss noise to get people's attention
6. Coin tap on the jeep/bus to stop it
7. Jollibee's
8. Saying Scuse instead of pardon me or excuse me
9. Heavily armed malls and banks - pat downs before entering
10. Hey Joe (I first heard this in Cebu and had no clue who they were talking to)
11. People rarely travel solo for vacation. They like group travel with their friends, coworkers, or family
12. buy one take one (instead of buy one get one free), avail a service (instead of request)
13. Religious street processions
14. Cashier asks you for change at the register
15. Smaller refrigerator sizes
16. You can buy pharmaceutical pills by the unit. They can sell you just 1 pill if you want
17. You don't take your tray to the trash can at fast food restaurants. Employees do that
18. Honking on the street. Just to let you know I'm passing you or to tell you not to pull out in front of me
19. Christmas starts in September
20. Divorce is illegal (Vatican city is the only other place)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2018, 09:34:42 PM »
Latest inflation figures 6.7%!!!
Just going shopping here for anything pretty much proves that this is not FAKE NEWS.

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 07:07:48 PM »
The Jeepneys did another price hike! 9 pesos now in Manila! : )
This is my list of what makes the PH so unique (see if you can find these in other countries):
1. Comfort room or CR aka bathroom (the first time I heard this, I had no idea what it was)
2. Jose Rizal is the PH hero, like the George Washington of the States. His statue is everywhere
3. Banana ketchup (really?! there's no tomatoes in this and it's red?) and halo halo (mix mix dessert)
4. Jeepneys
5. Kiss noise to get people's attention
6. Coin tap on the jeep/bus to stop it
7. Jollibee's
8. Saying Scuse instead of pardon me or excuse me
9. Heavily armed malls and banks - pat downs before entering
10. Hey Joe (I first heard this in Cebu and had no clue who they were talking to)
11. People rarely travel solo for vacation. They like group travel with their friends, coworkers, or family
12. buy one take one (instead of buy one get one free), avail a service (instead of request)
13. Religious street processions
14. Cashier asks you for change at the register
15. Smaller refrigerator sizes
16. You can buy pharmaceutical pills by the unit. They can sell you just 1 pill if you want
17. You don't take your tray to the trash can at fast food restaurants. Employees do that
18. Honking on the street. Just to let you know I'm passing you or to tell you not to pull out in front of me
19. Christmas starts in September
20. Divorce is illegal (Vatican city is the only other place)

That list is so funny, but sooooo TRUE :) Personal faves 5 (and slight variation - pointing with lips) and 19!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog