Author Topic: Northern Luzon Cordillera and West Coast tour  (Read 854 times)

Offline hoz

Northern Luzon Cordillera and West Coast tour
« on: May 23, 2018, 04:28:59 PM »
My wife and I have completed our whirlwind Luzon tour
In the past 30 days we've visited
Clark/Angeles overnight, Sogo hotel next to DAU bus station
Baguio 3 nights. Metro Pines Inn
Banaue 4 nights. Spring Hill Inn
Bontoc/Maligcong Terraces 4 nights. Suzettes Maligcong Homestay
Sagada 3 nights. Isabellos Inn.
Back to Baguio 3 nights. Metro Pines Inn.
Laoag 3 nights. Tiffany Inn.
Pugudpud day trip.
Vigan 3 nights. Grandpa's Inn.
Sta Lucia, my fathers home town 3 nights. Sta Lucia Inn, the only game in town.
And back to Clark/Angeles 3 nights. Devera Hotel.
All by public bus, jeepney and mototrikes.

We booked online when available, mostly a day or two before going there. We took a chance in Baguio, went without a reservation and found a brand new boutique hotel at the north end of Burnham Park (Metro Pines Inn) for 1500 piso a night.

I did extensive online research concerning transportation. It can be confusing with several different bus companies and classes of service. When in doubt I visited terminals a day before leaving town to confirm or learn more about schedules. 

It was an epic trip and we were treated kindly by everyone we met. I especially liked discovering relatives in my dads hometown that I had never knew about. They had fun introducing their "white Filipino" relative to their town mates.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:54:41 PM by hoz »

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Northern Luzon Cordillera and West Coast tour
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 07:28:15 PM »
Neat Hoz, could you go more in-depth into your trip when you have time and for my own curiosity, how was it meeting up with your long lost relatives and how did your wife enjoy the trip, I really hope she enjoyed it?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline hoz

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:25:37 AM »
We tried to take it easy, spending three or more days in every location but I think she was mentally and physically exhausted the last week. She had nosebleeds in Vigan and Sta Lucia that mysteriously cleared up when we got back to Angeles and flew back to Cebu. The heat on the coast was oppressive and she spent much of the day in the A/C hotel room. I don't think she liked living out of a carry on suitcase.

The relatives I met were just great. They had a small dinner the first night and introduced me to their friends and families.
Three are are involved in local politics and took me to their barangay festival and a senior citizen party, introducing me as their "white American" cousin.

On the other hand another cousin came to my hotel for chitchat which ended with her trying to put the touch on me for money. My other relatives said she has a rep for doing that, and that I was right to refuse her.

It might have been different if we had stayed longer than 3 days. I learned I have many more relatives around there than the one family I was interacting with. I guess anyone named Joven in that area is related. It was nice to see my lolo and lolas grave site, and the church my father attended when he was a child. sort of a "Roots" moment.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 07:21:54 AM »
Thank you Hoz, sorry to hear about Fe getting sick, glad it cleared up as soon as you two got back, I am sure her family will give her a complete check up to make sure she is okay, high blood pressure can cause nose bleeds, so please be sure to get her check out thoroughly ASAP.

Happy to hear most relatives turned out to be great, did you take photos and if so maybe you can post some.

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog