Author Topic: Setting up a scholarship fund  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Setting up a scholarship fund
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2018, 02:38:11 PM »

Can you advise the application process and selection criteria for the bursaries?
You wouldn’t happen to have the paperwork for the bursaries?
How was the payment made?

Regards,

R.

The wife handled the physical part of the applications. This was the year before before the "K - 12" kicked in, so maybe somewhat different now. Government colleges and Universities are now mandated to offer "free" education. Private institutions are still 'fee-paying'.

All the graduating students at her (private) high school were given the relevant forms by their class "home base tutors" (my words). One set for the local Municipality and another for the Provincial Government.

She had to go to Hermosa Town hall, then the Provincial HQ in Balanga, with her graduating certificates and grades achieved, her Barangay clearance of 21 days work (*), along with her acceptance letter from the college (SLU) and submit these to the local municipality departments. There was a specific time frame to do this.

(*) [As part of the bursary/grant process she had to work for 21 days over the summer holidays, at our Barangay hall. The Barangay Captain had to fill in a register and certify she actually attended. 3 girls started, only 2 finished the 21 days and qualified for the money. Ever tried getting a teenager out of bed and off to work at 07.00 during the holldays?  :) :) :) ]

She started at SLU in the August and during Christmas break, she had to take her first semester results to the town hall and provincial Govt. departments, for final grant assessment.

Both of these authorities, after granting the application, put the dates for collecting the "dosh" on their government Facebook accounts. Payments are made about 10 weeks after the report date. Our daughter had to write a letter authorising the wife to collect on her behalf, as Baguio is a bit far for her to travel to the Bataan midweek.  :)

This has been repeated twice a year since then, but only involves showing the current grades she achieved along with her scholastic attendance record. There is a sliding scale; top marks gets the most, 90% gets the least.

Bataan has a one strike policy. If a student fails to make the grade of 90%, then they are given the minimum until the next assessment time. If they then fail again, they will be taken off the payment list, forever!

Things may be different in your area. Both from the amount the LGUs will grant, as well as any changes in the education support system. You may find, for instance, that where grants are available, they may be for local fee-paying colleges only. Or not!

Peter
PS. Add birth certificate and 4 photos to that list of required documents.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:52:57 PM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline rlay1

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 03:47:21 PM »
Thank you for all the info Peter.
Much appreciated.
It seems like they make you jump through as much hoops as possible, and with a lot of strict criteria attached.

Was there any requirement of family income having to be below a certain threshold?

I am actually looking at setting up a scholarship at the local high school for high achieving, but financially disadvantaged students. As per responses from this forum, I may have to extend the scholarship into college as well.

I will be meeting the high school principal in a few weeks’ time to discuss setting up the scholarship.
I will keep you posted on how things go...

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 04:40:53 PM »

Was there any requirement of family income having to be below a certain threshold?

I am actually looking at setting up a scholarship at the local high school for high achieving, but financially disadvantaged students. As per responses from this forum, I may have to extend the scholarship into college as well.

I kept well in the background while all of this was going on. Nothing to identity me was asked for, or volunteered.

To answer your question. In the Bataan, the student's academic achievement was the criterion. Family income (or my pensions) wasn't asked for, although my wife put "former OFW / Sari-sari Store owner" as the parent's occupation.

What we did when she was in (private) grade school, was to donate school supplies to the local Barangay school, at the start of each term. 15 boxes each of 100 black pens and 100 pencils. Pretty cheap when bought in bulk. We chose the local school as that was where most of her cousins/friends, mostly from financially uncertain families, went to. We did check frequently that the children were receiving the pens/pencils. Made easier by the wife having gone to school there, with the now principal as a classmate.  :)

Wish you luck on your endeavors.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:54:48 PM by Peter »

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »
I kept well in the background while all of this was going on. Nothing to identity me was asked for, or volunteered.

To answer your question. In the Bataan, the student's academic achievement was the criterion. Family income (or my pensions) wasn't asked for, although my wife put "former OFW / Sari-sari Store owner" as the parent's occupation.

What we did when she was in (private) grade school, was to donate school supplies to the local Barangay school, at the start of each term. 15 boxes each of 100 black pens and 100 pencils. Pretty cheap when bought in bulk. We chose the local school as that was where most of her cousins/friends, mostly from financially uncertain families, went to. We did check frequently that the children were receiving the pens/pencils. Made easier by the wife having gone to school there, with the now principal as a classmate.  :)
Wish you luck on your endeavors.

Peter

That is the best way of contributing in my opinion. Any money will be handled in a dubious manner. Assignments cost each student up to 200P in materials a few times a year. Teachers do not care. They even charge pupils for services. Schools here are like all public services - looked on as a money making opportunity for employees.

I know one teacher who wanted me to grant certificates to students who had attended a series of five seminars I gave. The teacher suggested we could profit by asking 100P per certificate!!!! Disgusting.

For school fees I pay for some but I go directly to the school and pay rather then handing money to students or teachers. I have been  conned by some students.

Donating school supplies as Peter has done Is the best way. At least you can be certain your donation is not used to pay someones Utang on the motorcycle! I have collected about 10,000 top quality childrens story books in Ireland and donated them to the local central library. Of course I discovered that teachers and officials jumped on the opportunity to sideline some for their own children!! The only problem I DID NOT HAVE was customs trying to get their share as I sent them all as Balikbayan boxes in separate consignments.

Offline rlay1

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »
Thank you to everyone who provided their input.

By way of update, we met with the principal last week and she advised us that there was already a similar scholarship fund set up at the high school. So we will just piggy back off the same terms and conditions.

P500 payable monthly across the school year (P5,000 pa), plus school fees of P550.

The principal will initially select a Year 11 and a Year 12 student. The intention is we will also see them through to college.

So we will start off with two students this year, pick up a new Year 11 student next year and every subsequent year thereafter.

We have SIL over there so she can keep an eye on things.

Regards,

R.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »
Thank you to everyone who provided their input.

By way of update, we met with the principal last week and she advised us that there was already a similar scholarship fund set up at the high school. So we will just piggy back off the same terms and conditions.

P500 payable monthly across the school year (P5,000 pa), plus school fees of P550.

The principal will initially select a Year 11 and a Year 12 student. The intention is we will also see them through to college.

So we will start off with two students this year, pick up a new Year 11 student next year and every subsequent year thereafter.

We have SIL over there so she can keep an eye on things.

Regards,

R.

Well done. Sounds like a workable plan. The trick is to have those reliable "eyes on", when the money is handed out. Maybe inform the Principal that you will review how it is working after the first year, then decide how to proceed thereafter.

Good deeds always beget good Karma.

Peter

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog