Author Topic: Inflation is up  (Read 3945 times)

Offline chimellie

Inflation is up
« on: June 06, 2018, 01:11:25 AM »
Just read this in CNN Philippines

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 5) Inflation rate rose to 4.6 percent in May from a year ago, the highest level in five years, the Philippine Statistics Authority announced Tuesday.

Maybe Peso will hit 55 to 1 USD by the end of the year ?

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Inflation is up
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 10:47:34 PM »
I notice that costs are up every year when we return to Cebu but at the same time, they are no doubt up in Florida as well, I just do not notice them as much  in Florida and I suspect those who live full time in the Philippines, likely do not notice them as much either.

I do not know about other areas but in Cebu I rarely see buy one get one for free, whereas in Florida we get that all the time, so that really helps offset rising prices for us when we are in the states. How about you Chi, did you notice higher prices when you were just in Cebu and other areas of the Philippines, Nila has a friend who is also named Nila who said she cannot believe how expensive things had gotten when she returned to Cebu after being away a few years.

How about you all, have you noticed prices rising a lot in the areas you live?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 11:19:46 PM »
I notice that costs are up every year when we return to Cebu but at the same time, they are no doubt up in Florida as well, I just do not notice them as much  in Florida and I suspect those who live full time in the Philippines, likely do not notice them as much either.

I do not know about other areas but in Cebu I rarely see buy one get one for free, whereas in Florida we get that all the time, so that really helps offset rising prices for us when we are in the states. How about you Chi, did you notice higher prices when you were just in Cebu and other areas of the Philippines, Nila has a friend who is also named Nila who said she cannot believe how expensive things had gotten when she returned to Cebu after being away a few years.

How about you all, have you noticed prices rising a lot in the areas you live?

Yeah, prices are going up.  Same exact question as when you asked less than a month ago.  As much as I don't want to see prices going up, that isn't causing me any heartburn.  I don't like it since I don't like to spend more money but it is a fact of life.  It is going to happen.  And even if the rising pace in Florida is slow right now (by your opinion), wait until it kicks in down the road.  LoL.  I don't know what the problem is with Cebu.  I see "Buy one, get one" all time.  In fact, I was out this afternoon doing some shopping and saw a bunch. 
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 11:50:10 PM »
Yeah, prices are going up.  Same exact question as when you asked less than a month ago.  As much as I don't want to see prices going up, that isn't causing me any heartburn.  I don't like it since I don't like to spend more money but it is a fact of life.  It is going to happen.  And even if the rising pace in Florida is slow right now (by your opinion), wait until it kicks in down the road.  LoL.  I don't know what the problem is with Cebu.  I see "Buy one, get one" all time.  In fact, I was out this afternoon doing some shopping and saw a bunch.
Sorry if I repeated myself, my memory is just about shot,  :( some things I remember and many I do not, sadly I am closing in on the time when I may have to even walk away from forums, or just stop posting all together.

As for Florida, I did not say prices were not up, in fact I wrote just the opposite "they are no doubt up in Florida as well, I just do not notice them as much  in Florida and I suspect those who live full time in the Philippines, likely do not notice them as much either" 

As for buy one get one, I am happy to see that your area has it a lot, I hope to see it more in Cebu, saw some last year, did not see any this year at all but we are not there all year, so maybe it happens more when we are not there.  Also the last time we were in the Manila area, I noticed that prices on many items were lower there than Cebu, I suspect because that is the port of entry and where a lot of items may get manufactured and then some items get shipped to Cebu from there.

Thank you for your input..
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 12:20:54 AM »
Ok, sorry, my bag.  I thought you had said that they were not going up as quickly.  And I guess, I need to realize that with all us getting old, some might have memory slippage and others on the way.  And it is not as if I have never forgotten about something.  Hope it all works out for you in a positive sense.

Offline chimellie

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 12:35:04 AM »
I noticed the prices almost double on some items, but most about 50% more especially fish, chicken and beef, now the prices are almost the same as in the US.

Electric rate and gasoline prices are also way up. 

I don't know how the locals can afford that.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 12:58:11 AM »
I noticed the prices almost double on some items, but most about 50% more especially fish, chicken and beef, now the prices are almost the same as in the US.

Electric rate and gasoline prices are also way up. 

I don't know how the locals can afford that.
Electric is double where we live in Florida but my friend who lives on Long Island New York said he pays the same as Cebu so he installed solar and now pays nothing except for gas to heat his house and hot water.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 09:21:14 AM »
During the past week or so, there have been numerous press briefings from the Department of Finance, that the TRAIN Law has only contributed 0.4 to the overall official inflation rate of 4.6%.

0.4 is the magic number that the administration tossed out a couple of weeks ago and is now sticking to, come rain or shine.

On early morning GMA news today, there was another interview, whereby the ASEC of some department in Government, stated that the TRAIN Law would not be suspended. I paraphrase, "It's because of external contributory factors" she said, "not anything we can control". In other words, suck it up people!

And the price of sugar is now sky rocketing.

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Online bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 09:35:45 AM »
Glad I bought sugar at S&R on Tuesday at the same price I have been paying since last year.  Maybe it will go up by the next time I need it. 

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »
Glad I bought sugar at S&R on Tuesday at the same price I have been paying since last year.  Maybe it will go up by the next time I need it. 

Chuck

Chuck,

Many years ago I was advised to cut back on sugar in general. So I replaced it, when I could, with local honey, wherever I was, when I want something a bit sweeter. But that's me.

There are honey farmers (is that the right expression?) or producers in the hills near us in the Bataan and the wife gets it at the local farmers' market. Not cheap compared with sugar, but goes down a treat with my morning porridge. Yeah, I hear you say. "You can the boy out of Scotland, but not Scotland out of the boy."  :) :) :) :) :)

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Online bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 10:58:06 AM »
Chuck,

Many years ago I was advised to cut back on sugar in general. So I replaced it, when I could, with local honey, wherever I was, when I want something a bit sweeter. But that's me.

There are honey farmers (is that the right expression?) or producers in the hills near us in the Bataan and the wife gets it at the local farmers' market. Not cheap compared with sugar, but goes down a treat with my morning porridge. Yeah, I hear you say. "You can the boy out of Scotland, but not Scotland out of the boy."  :) :) :) :) :)

Peter

I actually by the less processed sugar(light brown) versus the white sugar and use it in my one cup of barako each morning.  Always have honey in the house.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »
I actually by the less processed sugar(light brown) versus the white sugar and use it in my one cup of barako each morning.  Always have honey in the house.

Chuck
That sugar you talk of was becoming big in the USA when I left there in 2013.  RAW was the biggest brand and cost a lot more than the "refined white" sugar.  I got a kick out of that as it was less process, thus cheaper, but cost a lot more.  Then I move here and it is as it should me, less expensive as it is much more raw in nature.  Got a kick out of telling my family that as most of them switched to the RAW sugar for most of their needs.
Per the health experts it is healthier.  I think most sugar is more a danger than a good for humans.  But, the experts say what you and I prefer is better.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 05:45:59 PM »
Electric is double where we live in Florida but my friend who lives on Long Island New York said he pays the same as Cebu so he installed solar and now pays nothing except for gas to heat his house and hot water.

When I left Florida, my final electric was right about at half per kW-h that the following month it cost me in the Philippines.   My cousin was paid almost double per kW-h in Upstate NY that year as what I had in Florida.  Look at the 2017 average rates, it looks like FL is starting to close in on NY some.  Apparently, my cousins electric company charged higher than the average in the state.

https://www.globalenergyinstitute.org/average-electricity-retail-prices-map

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 08:05:05 PM »
When I left Florida, my final electric was right about at half per kW-h that the following month it cost me in the Philippines.   My cousin was paid almost double per kW-h in Upstate NY that year as what I had in Florida.  Look at the 2017 average rates, it looks like FL is starting to close in on NY some.  Apparently, my cousins electric company charged higher than the average in the state.

https://www.globalenergyinstitute.org/average-electricity-retail-prices-map
I suspect those prices are without taxes and other fees added in. In both places I take the total bill and divide it by the kwh to determine the cost of electric in each place and in Cebu it cost us approx 12 pesos per kwh, which is exactly double per kwh what we pay in Florida which is about 12 cents per kwh, the link you posted just confirmed that since it is in cents, thus 12 pesos per kwh would be about double at the current exchange rate of p52.50 per dollar.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 11:38:45 PM »
I suspect those prices are without taxes and other fees added in. In both places I take the total bill and divide it by the kwh to determine the cost of electric in each place and in Cebu it cost us approx 12 pesos per kwh, which is exactly double per kwh what we pay in Florida which is about 12 cents per kwh, the link you posted just confirmed that since it is in cents, thus 12 pesos per kwh would be about double at the current exchange rate of p52.50 per dollar.

Well, that is pretty much why I posted it.  I am in agreement with you.  Yes, you are right.  That is how I figure it.  And I think also the chart is just the basic energy charge.  When I was talking about on my departure, I paid almost 13 cents per kW-h.  The following month, here, I paid about 11.5 pesos per kW-h and the rates over time that I have been have hovered between 9 and 12 pesos per.