Author Topic: Are you bored living in the Philippines ?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline chimellie

Are you bored living in the Philippines ?
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:13:06 PM »
Do you guys find it boring from day to day living in the Philippines ? What is your daily routine like ?

I usually visit Cebu for 3 weeks,  the first 2 seeks was fun because we travel to different islands, going to the beach, waterfalls, caves...etc...But then the last week we wind down, buying stuff, packing and get ready to fly home. I found it very boring just hang around all day, sometimes I would take a walk in the neighborhood, talk to the locals, joke around with kids. Beside that I have nothing else to do.

If I were in the US I would hop in my car driving places, visit my relatives, friends or play golf or bowling with friends. There's always something else to do like mowing the grass, change the oil on the car, the mower, the snow blower. 

I am planning to retire to Cebu in 3 years and always wondering if I would be bored there.   

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
Re: Are you bored living in the Philippines ?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:57:12 PM »
Do you guys find it boring from day to day living in the Philippines ? What is your daily routine like ?

I usually visit Cebu for 3 weeks,  the first 2 seeks was fun because we travel to different islands, going to the beach, waterfalls, caves...etc...But then the last week we wind down, buying stuff, packing and get ready to fly home. I found it very boring just hang around all day, sometimes I would take a walk in the neighborhood, talk to the locals, joke around with kids. Beside that I have nothing else to do.

If I were in the US I would hop in my car driving places, visit my relatives, friends or play golf or bowling with friends. There's always something else to do like mowing the grass, change the oil on the car, the mower, the snow blower. 

I am planning to retire to Cebu in 3 years and always wondering if I would be bored there.   

We always keep busy when there, why can you not do the same things you do when in the US, there are golf courses, the Sandtrap comes to mind but they changed the name a year or two ago, I do not remember the new name and they also have a pool there and a nice bar so easy to make a day or it, then bowling, SM Seaside has bowling, shoot pool, ice skating, archery, movies, even a fancy movie with reclining chairs, restaurants, etc, and it is a nice mall for exercise, walking around all the floors to stay healthy and SM City also has bowling and then there are gyms to stay fit if one likes that type of thing.

Also you can visit friends and relatives, take trips around Asia and other islands fairly inexpensive, drive around Cebu and go to other islands to also explore if you wish. No need to do labor related since you can have others do it for you if you wish, or get a hobby such as an old car to rebuild, go out with different friends and family as often as your budget can afford it, we do the same when in Cebu as we do when in Florida except we do not have a car so we take taxis, if we lived there full time then we would have a vehicle or a few for sure.

One thing to consider wherever you decide to move, make sure it will fit your lifestyle and that there will be transportation to get you to other places, such as on Camotes Island I am told fishing, swimming and relaxing is most of what people do there but they also have a lot more such as caves, waterfalls, yet most items will revolve around outdoor life, click on the link I provided to see some.

Life anywhere is what you make it, make some good friends once there or when visiting and I am sure you will find plenty to do, many hotels like Marco Polo also have live music where you can meet up with friends for a drink and some chat.

I also keep busy on forums and with emails from friends that often eat up my mornings and sometimes part of my evenings and then there is buying movies CD's down at Colon 5 for p100 to watch when home if you even have time for that lol. The main thing I have found out since retiring is learning to slow down, once you are retired then you will likely have to learn to do that as well, once slowed down then no stress, get up when you want, go wherever you want and whenever you want to.

Hopefully others will chime in with what fills their days but I suspect it is much of the same as what filled their days back home just possibly more reading and searching around the internet to find items they like to do to keep busy.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 07:03:56 AM »
I went through that for about 2 months after I was here for about 6 months.  I sat around.  Had the house still being finished so it gave me something to focus on.  But even then, Tina got upset at me because I wasn't leaving the builders alone and was at times getting pissed at them for the messes they were making that were doing damage to the house(mixing cement on a just finished floor and not cleaning it up after and letting it dry the one more than anything that pissed me off). 

But, then I just decided to change my mindset.  Not big time...just small things.  Started walking every morning and sometimes playing basketball with the locals.  I needed exercise as life was much slower here and that was a way to both cure some of my being bored as well as take care of my health.  Then more things started taking my time like downloading the shows/movies I like but can't find here in the Philippines so I can still watch them.  Going to Tina's work and sitting and talking with her and her co-workers.  Just stuff like that where I wasn't bothering anyone(Tina manages the market for the LGU.  Basically everyone does an hour or two of work then set on their rear ends and talk the rest of the day) and had something to do.

Then there's this site and other online sites I joined and spend time on them. 

You might have to go through and adjustment period and discover what's around you and what you find enjoyable.  But after you make it through that....all is good in paradise again.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:53:40 AM »
No, I'm not bored living in the Philippines. My wife and I have lived here since retiring in 1998 to date and only have been out of the country a few times on short vacations.
Getting bored is only a mindset when one allows it to occur at any given time.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline oldutot

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 09:59:49 AM »
No, I'm not bored living in the Philippines. My wife and I have lived here since retiring in 1998 to date and only have been out of the country a few times on short vacations.
Getting bored is only a mindset when one allows it to occur at any given time.
  Hi Art,
                         It's great that you and the wife, are doing good. 8)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 12:01:41 PM »
  Hi Art,
                         It's great that you and the wife, are doing good. 8)
Dang Joe, where have you been all this time? Good to hear from you after all these years!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:08:25 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline ajmqa62

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 07:29:27 AM »
I'm newly retired and still adjusting to life without a regular job and all the 'emergencies' that need to be dealt with. When the fires are out, it seems there are many more hours in a day. I'm focusing on the daily routine stuff; walking in the morning before it gets too hot; having a cup of coffee at my favorite spot, going to the gym regularly, and just looking after my own health. To keep things interesting, I am also going to learn the local language and looking to make either cheese or beer [or both] as a hobby.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »
I'm newly retired and still adjusting to life without a regular job and all the 'emergencies' that need to be dealt with. When the fires are out, it seems there are many more hours in a day. I'm focusing on the daily routine stuff; walking in the morning before it gets too hot; having a cup of coffee at my favorite spot, going to the gym regularly, and just looking after my own health. To keep things interesting, I am also going to learn the local language and looking to make either cheese or beer [or both] as a hobby.
If you are asking for "votes" I vote for making beer :)   it is a relatively easy hobby/process, and very rewarding.   There are several places to get the equipment and ingredients here in the Philippines.   There are also many many many micro brews popping up all over the place.  There are 3 different microbrews within 30 minutes of my house.   The beer community in the Philippines is on the rise so there will always be others to share ideas with etc....    Good luck... hahahhaha let me know if you decide to brew, I am willing to be one of your "tasters"  BTW, I homebrewed for over 10 years.    Cheers

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 11:05:11 PM »

I like your hobby ideas.  Making something useful seems like a great idea.  If you get farther into the making cheese,  would love to hear how you do it and how the results go.  I don't know much about it,  but love cheese.   

What region did you pick to settle in ?

“Old men do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“Keep on rocking in the free world”

Offline Dawg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 08:12:04 AM »
Life anywhere is what you make it

Lee is spot on. A lot will depend on what your expectations are and where you plan to live. If you are moving to the Province you may want to get a hobby as it is very quiet with limited access to modern conveniences.

The reality though is that I stay pretty busy in retirement. Since I have more time on my hands my Honey-do-list got bigger!!!  ???
Life doesn't always work out the way you expect
Sometimes it's better!

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 12:02:01 PM »
grandkids keep me busy I have several hobbies to keep me busy, fruit trees, animals, I also work on my car, house, yard, appliances and recently started making my own Dill pickles and they came out great.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline raiderman81

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 07:47:17 AM »
Has anyone thought of making their own Lambanog?  It is by far my favorite alcohol plus it's cheap and packs a punch and a half.  I got a 5 gallon drum of it in Quezon province a few years ago and it was fantastic. I don't like the ones in the store.  Anyone know where I can get or make real local Lambanog? I will be in Subic soon.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 11:55:47 PM »
grandkids keep me busy I have several hobbies to keep me busy, fruit trees, animals, I also work on my car, house, yard, appliances and recently started making my own Dill pickles and they came out great.

Care to share your dill pickling process with us pickle lovers?
Louisville, KY USA

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 08:06:39 AM »
Care to share your dill pickling process with us pickle lovers?

Here you go Jack. I've been using this method since got here and couldn't find dill pickles all the time. These actually work out pretty good and you can add what ever you want for spices.

Refrigerator Dill Pickles
"These pickles taste so fresh and have just the right amount of dill and garlic. They taste great along-side a hotdog on a bun. They also taste great alone as a healthy snack. The pickles should be good for 6 weeks. Enjoy! You can also cut cucumbers into chips if you prefer a pickle chip instead of a spear."
Ingredients
3 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cups white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sea salt
4 cups cucumber spears
2 cloves garlic, whole
2 heads fresh dill
Directions
1. Stir water, vinegar, sugar, and sea salt together in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil; remove from heat and cool completely.
2. Combine cucumber spears, garlic cloves, and fresh dill in a large glass or plastic container. Pour cooled vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture. Seal container with lid and refrigerate for at least 3 days.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 03:25:46 AM »
Here you go Jack. I've been using this method since got here and couldn't find dill pickles all the time. These actually work out pretty good and you can add what ever you want for spices.

Refrigerator Dill Pickles
"These pickles taste so fresh and have just the right amount of dill and garlic. They taste great along-side a hotdog on a bun. They also taste great alone as a healthy snack. The pickles should be good for 6 weeks. Enjoy! You can also cut cucumbers into chips if you prefer a pickle chip instead of a spear."
Ingredients
3 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cups white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sea salt
4 cups cucumber spears
2 cloves garlic, whole
2 heads fresh dill
Directions
1. Stir water, vinegar, sugar, and sea salt together in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil; remove from heat and cool completely.
2. Combine cucumber spears, garlic cloves, and fresh dill in a large glass or plastic container. Pour cooled vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture. Seal container with lid and refrigerate for at least 3 days.

Thanks bro! I still plan to send over a big jar of dill pickles for you before our next trip.  :)
Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog