Author Topic: Whale Shark Sighting Oslob, Cebu  (Read 239 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Whale Shark Sighting Oslob, Cebu
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:45:49 PM »
This is the jaw-dropping moment in which a sleepy fisherman has a stretch and a yawn oblivious to the giant whale shark swimming next to his canoe.

Photographer Dimitar Karanikolov captured it with a drone in the Philippines while he stood 300 yards away.

http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/2018/06/20/photographer-captures-whale-shark-swimming-beneath-sleepy-fisherman.html
Louisville, KY USA

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: Whale Shark Sighting Oslob, Cebu
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 11:29:28 PM »
That is pretty cool.  Wonder if the fisherman was ever made aware of that.  I get that they are not dangerous to humans, but I think it would still give me a start if I saw that as it was happening. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 02:40:01 AM »
That is pretty cool.  Wonder if the fisherman was ever made aware of that.  I get that they are not dangerous to humans, but I think it would still give me a start if I saw that as it was happening.

According to the article accompanying the photo is the story by the photographer. He said the fisherman was never aware there was anything heading his way that morning. In the pic he's in the middle of stretching and yawning
Louisville, KY USA

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 04:51:53 AM »
I read that.  I took that to mean at the time.  I wonder if the drone operator informed him or something.  Wonder if he'll ever find out that he's on an international news site.  That would be a funny way to learn.  Have a family member or friend telling you to go to that site and see yourself yawning. 

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 10:44:36 AM »
A little story along the same lines.

back in 1979, I was diving with some friends off the Daymaniate Islands in Oman.

We were all sitting on the sides of the boat (18' Yamaha fishing boat) with our bums hanging over the water. One girl, whose name I will spare along with her blushes, was a tad overwiegh, so hung more than the rest of us.

While we were chatting away, a mother whale shark and her calf appeared and the little one (3 or 4 metres long) being very curious as they all are, came up to the boat, stretched up and gently nudged her bum. She was in the water in seconds and swam with it for a few minutes, until "Mum" decided it was time to go. She new nickname after that! :) :) :) :) :)

That was the first time I saw and got close in the water with these gentle giants. But don't touch their tail fins! I have seen a diver stunned and lose their mask and DV when hit by the tail they hung onto.

Peter

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog