Author Topic: Better Every Second  (Read 966 times)

Offline David690

• Sr Member
Re: Better Every Second
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 02:27:57 PM »
Not sure on the where.   I have Philippine friends living in Davao.   I'm open-minded at the moment.  I'd like someplace with High speed internet, and not uber crowded.   Let the hunt (for a place to live) begin.  LOL.   My plan is to locate myself and rent for first year or so while I figure out the where.

Joe

We travelled the Philippines pretty extensively before settling on Davao as the place to make our home.  Never had any security issues in 4 years.  We live on a subdivision which is also a 18 hole golf course.  Very quiet and peaceful, great neighbours.  Fibre Optic installed by PLDT is 20Mbps, unlimited and costs P1800 pm.
Londoner at heart

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 03:12:10 PM »
No Art, they did do it, not might have. 

Chuck
It's a done deal. I already installed my own Cat 5 cable for my 8mbps DSL.
I guess PLDT has different services and or policies what they can do or not do.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 02:34:53 AM »
I’ve heard Davao is really nice but with the travel warning for US citizens in Mindanao I am quite hesitant to go there to find out. I haven’t seen much posted anywhere about issues for foreigners in Davao though.  I am hoping to maybe get some tips from others who may be from that area.

Mindanao is a very large island. Most, but not all, of the travel warnings are for the western half and the southwest islands which is part of the ARMM, Autonomous Region Muslin Mindanao. I think you'll find Davao relatively safe compared to some cities. It would be worth checking out for a while.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 12:10:24 AM »
Not sure on the where.   I have Philippine friends living in Davao.   I'm open-minded at the moment.  I'd like someplace with High speed internet, and not uber crowded.   Let the hunt (for a place to live) begin.  LOL.   My plan is to locate myself and rent for first year or so while I figure out the where.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Welcome.  I also have an IT type background.  It will be fun to see where you end up finding the best location.  Crowded vs good services is certainly a dichotomy.  Renting is a great idea.  If you like the area, later you will be in tune already with prices and able to recognize a good or great bargain.
“Old men do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“Keep on rocking in the free world”

Offline Tim_L

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 03:13:07 AM »
I believe someone on here mentioned they get high speed via the cable company.  Sorta how I got mine in the USA for more than a decade before I moved here.  Makes sense that it should be the quickest way to high speed, but personally I have not seen it anywhere I've been.

The coaxial cable has a lot of width and unused space that running an internet signal through it just makes sense.  But, most of the Philippines has not awaken to that yet.  Of course, the coaxial cables I've seen run here are pretty small and maybe the same theory does not exist for cable companies here.

That said, at least in some place in the Phils such is setup that way.  Would seem to be less interruption with the connection that way also.

I had Sky Cable in Cebu Joe. 30mbs was their max package in Cebu but have 100 available in Manila.
I got pretty good throughput (25+) and only one 15 minute outage in the 6 weeks that I was there.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog