Author Topic: Hello to everyone!!  (Read 485 times)

Offline Tim_L

Hello to everyone!!
« on: June 21, 2018, 12:52:06 PM »
Hi all, my name is Tim. I am a systems administrator currently living in Florida and will make the big jump this Summer and move to the Philippines.

I have been heavily researching this move for over a year and have been to PH twice in the past 10 months, 4 weeks on my first trip and 6 weeks on the second trip. I mostly stayed in Cebu but went to a few other places. Manila (long enough to catch my connecting flight), Surigao, Butuan and Boracay.
This time around, I am looking at doing some hardcore exploring to figure out where exactly I want to put down more permanent roots. I am still actively working so I need a place with solid infrastructure in order to be able to work. Iím thinking about checking out Clark and Subic for infrastructure reasons but may end up settling in Cebu.
Anyone who may have some ideas of other areas that I should check out, I would love to hear from you.

I am looking forward to reading this forum, learning as much as I can from those who know and to hopefully meet some folks already living there.

Tim

Offline joe kuth

Re: Hello to everyone!!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:34:03 PM »
Looks like we have very similar search going on.  I hope we can share notes.

Joe

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:40:29 PM »
Hi all, my name is Tim. I am a systems administrator currently living in Florida and will make the big jump this Summer and move to the Philippines.

I have been heavily researching this move for over a year and have been to PH twice in the past 10 months, 4 weeks on my first trip and 6 weeks on the second trip. I mostly stayed in Cebu but went to a few other places. Manila (long enough to catch my connecting flight), Surigao, Butuan and Boracay.
This time around, I am looking at doing some hardcore exploring to figure out where exactly I want to put down more permanent roots. I am still actively working so I need a place with solid infrastructure in order to be able to work. Iím thinking about checking out Clark and Subic for infrastructure reasons but may end up settling in Cebu.
Anyone who may have some ideas of other areas that I should check out, I would love to hear from you.

I am looking forward to reading this forum, learning as much as I can from those who know and to hopefully meet some folks already living there.

Tim

Welcome, the main thing that I find hard to do in Cebu is to find a good internet connection, so if you decide on Cebu, then maybe IT Park, or another area that has fiber optic, best to check on availability before moving to an area, I have found that most internet connections in Cebu are terrible and unreliable, I had PLDT for years and a friend has Globe and both go off often, I now use Smart LTE and it has data caps, and occasionally, especially during the middle of the night and sometimes in the daytime, it too goes off. Also most new connections nowadays in Cebu have data caps, possibly if you can get a commercial connection then maybe that would be without data caps. Good luck on your move and feel free to ask questions, lots of knowledgeable members to answer them.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Tim_L

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 02:37:26 AM »
Yes Joe, sounds good. Message ny time. :)

Lee, yes, I found that to be quite accurate. The condo I was in had PLDT fiber and their wi-fi was slow or down a good both of the time. I had Sky Cable install a 30 mbps connection and it served me pretty well while I was there. Being used to having 150Mbps here in the US, that was a bit tough to deal with. A fiber connection is great, if the provider keeps the network up and reachable, that didnít seem to be the case with PLDT. I may just have to get two connections for redundancy sake.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 02:30:26 PM »

Tim

Hi Tim
You can check my response to Joes post on a similar thread.
Londoner at heart

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 02:22:57 AM »
Welcome to the group, Tim! I have a part-time home in northern Metro Manila where the family maintains a broadband connection with WiFi. It's not great, I think only a 1mb connection, but for my needs, downloading and sending emails, it works well enough. I have a small graphic art business that requires a connection just long enough for me to download jobs and send them back out when I'm finished so it has worked well enough for me over the last few years. I'm sorry I don't know who it's with, but will post again later when I find out.
Hope you find a location with a good internet connection. That is one of the few complaints I have about living in the Philippines, even part-time. Again, welcome to the group!
Louisville, KY USA

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 06:16:22 PM »
Welcome Tim,

The good news is there are a lot of options for you. Once you explore a bit you might surprise yourself with where you end up settling.

p.s. You should give Ilo-Ilo a try...

Cheers,
Tony
---

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 11:28:09 AM »
Welcome Tim.

A lot of people on here to give you much more help on this topic and what you are looking for.  Where I am is a place you want to avoid when it comes to seeking a consistent fast internet connection. 

Look forward to seeing you on this site and reading your reviews, reactions and questions about the Phils.  Thank you for joining.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog