Author Topic: BSP warns public vs fake P10,000 bills  (Read 666 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
BSP warns public vs fake P10,000 bills
« on: June 24, 2018, 12:19:56 PM »
Be sure to spread the word so no one gets cheated. I once had a relative who showed my wife and I a one million dollar bill and thought it might be real.
The public has been warned about the fake P10,000 bill that has been posted on social media, particularly Facebook.

In an advisory issued on Friday, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) said the New Generation Currency (NGC) banknote series currently in circulation is comprised of only six denominations P1000, P500, P200, P100, P50 and P20.

The BSP has not produced and issued a P10,000 NGC banknote, the BSP said.

It said that forgery of Philippine banknotes as well as the use or possession of the same is punishable under the law.

We advise the public to report immediately to the police or National Bureau of Investigation any forgery, use or possession of Philippine banknotes, for appropriate filing of criminal complaint against those persons involved, it added.

The BSP also urged the public to preserve the integrity of Philippine currency through sharing of verified and truthful information.
https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2018/06/24/1827385/bsp-warns-public-vs-fake-p10000-bills
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Re: BSP warns public vs fake P10,000 bills
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 12:37:05 PM »
I had never had, seen or known of anything larger than a one thousand but someone gave me two of those in exchange for USD and I thought, "Wow, new currency".  Now, I guess I am stuck with them.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »
Sorry to hear that Bud, hope my post and yours saves others from getting stuck with some.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 06:16:22 PM »
Sorry to hear that Bud, hope my post and yours saves others from getting stuck with some.

Yeah, hopefully no one ever falls for the million bill you were talking about.  Don't fret though about me.  Earlier today I went back with those two fake 10k back to where I got them from.  I got the real stuff now.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:55:25 PM »
Yeah, hopefully no one ever falls for the million bill you were talking about.  Don't fret though about me.  Earlier today I went back with those two fake 10k back to where I got them from.  I got the real stuff now.
Good to hear you got your money back, you apparently are not the only one who ended up with some of those, I got some emails back from expats I know telling me of others who got stuck with some, apparently the bills look good enough to be real and I guess it is wishful thinking that the Philippines would come out with a larger bill, IMO they are needed for larger transactions so I wish they would come out with at least p5,000 bills.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 10:10:24 PM »
Good to hear you got your money back, you apparently are not the only one who ended up with some of those, I got some emails back from expats I know telling me of others who got stuck with some, apparently the bills look good enough to be real and I guess it is wishful thinking that the Philippines would come out with a larger bill, IMO they are needed for larger transactions so I wish they would come out with at least p5,000 bills.

Well, I thought to myself that it was not too bright of me to fall for them so I guess there are some other expats who have about as much sense as me.

Offline RDS284

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Lee.
I will look out for them when i am there in August.
Cheers
Rob

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog