Author Topic: Duterte favors same-sex civil union — Palace  (Read 374 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Duterte favors same-sex civil union — Palace
« on: July 04, 2018, 11:16:21 PM »
Interesting changes are coming to the Philippines, looks like it is finally happening, long overdue IMO, everyone should be allowed to be happy.

The Supreme Court has already begun holding oral arguments for a petition to legalize same-sex marriage in the Philippines.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: Duterte favors same-sex civil union — Palace
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:42:41 AM »
Completely agree.  About time.  Surprised it took this long, but with the power that the catholic church carries, maybe I shouldn't have be.  In almost every other part of the gay and lesbian acceptance in this country being decades ahead of the USA(in a lot of areas, not all), I thought this would have happened before now.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 05:29:46 PM »
Geez, one would think they would hurry and push through the divorce act between heterosexuals first.  I know it has been passed once but don't it's law yet.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 04:35:26 AM »
I'm stocking up on popcorn for the first gay celebrity divorce trial. Oh, the drama!  :D :D :D

Louisville, KY USA

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 09:03:42 AM »
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 03:30:41 PM »
If this goes through, are they going to be classified like the Muslims in the Philippines where divorce is legal?  And if so, they sure as hell better legalize divorce for the rest of the Philippines.  There is not a large enough chunk of muslim marriage/divorce in the social fabric of the Philippines for it to make a bid deal, but when a lot of the gay/lesbian marriages happen(last I knew, the Catholic church in the Philippines stands against it and probably won't allow those marriages in their church) and then are followed with legal divorce...that will weigh heavy in the social fabric that they are allowed divorce while straight marriages are not.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 11:26:55 PM »
Not sure how Divorce crept in here. The topic was marriage - not divorce.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 11:55:42 PM »
The ppl should be allowed by the government and also the government can perform the marriage as needed/wanted.  So agree w/ this.

The whole divorce thing is so convoluted w/ the Church.  There is the word divorce and then a word annulment.  With the later being a subjective and expensive decision from Humans.
“Old men do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“Keep on rocking in the free world”

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 07:04:08 AM »
The ppl should be allowed by the government

I kinda disagree with your phrasing.  As it reads, people need "permission" from the government to perform a natural activity. 

So you end up being regulated, monitored, and taxed.  That structuring settles ever higher in a sedimentary, incremental fashion until you reach the absurd levels that we are at today. 

All of the "fees", "taxes", and "benefits" accrue and become grist for the corruption mill.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 08:13:17 AM »
I kinda disagree with your phrasing.  As it reads, people need "permission" from the government to perform a natural activity. 

So you end up being regulated, monitored, and taxed.  That structuring settles ever higher in a sedimentary, incremental fashion until you reach the absurd levels that we are at today. 

All of the "fees", "taxes", and "benefits" accrue and become grist for the corruption mill.

I believe they do need permission from government for a government action,  in this case a civil marriage.  Probably there are some legal and possibly financial benefits that might occur from all of that.  I don't think the ppl should be stopped by the government to live together how they see fit.  To have a marriage implemented from the government (civil) I think it needs the permission.  If the goal is to be recognized by the government as married that would require asking the the government to do so.

An alternative would be to simply have a mechanism to claim marriage and allow any ppl to simply report that they are now married,  or what would you suggest to solve this one?

I believe it should be completely separate from how the Church would do it.
“Old men do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“Keep on rocking in the free world”

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 08:35:02 AM »
what would you suggest to solve this one?

That is the rub ain't it.  The recognition is necessary for societal "Wa.".  But at what level?

IMHO, this is a community level activity, it should be kept at the local level.  County, parish, barangay.  Higher echelons of organization should have  record keeping function only.

As with all things human, in this scenario, there is will be mischief.  But response to that chicanery is also held to the area directly affected by what ever issue.

You take the "authority / responsibility" mechanism any higher in society and you ultimately end up with political activists ambushing a service provider.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 11:12:03 PM »
Not sure how Divorce crept in here. The topic was marriage - not divorce.

The number one cause of divorce is marriage
Louisville, KY USA

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 06:57:35 AM »
The number one cause of divorce is marriage

:D :D ;D

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog