Author Topic: Recently moved here  (Read 233 times)

Offline kazookid

Recently moved here
« on: July 12, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »

I just moved to the Phillipines a couple weeks ago and the boredom of sitting around and waiting to complete the requirements needed to work here is setting in. Going a bit stir crazy as well. A friend in the states suggested I try an online forum to possibly meet a friend to talk to so here I am!

Thank you for your time and help :)
Diana

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Recently moved here
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 05:54:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum Diana, possibly more of an introduction so members can get to know you better might help, tell us a little about yourself as well as where are you from and what part of the Philippines are you living?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline kazookid

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 09:11:04 PM »
Hi there.

About myself, I moved here about 3 weeks ago from Florida into a place in Las Pinas, very close to the SM Southmall. I came to authenticate my birth certificate, which apparently you can't do in the states, to renew my passport.  Unfortunately I've been having a difficult time getting something as simple as the baranguy ID.

I would very much like to meet a friend to possibly show me around or even just to chat with. Break up the monotony of my day. Seems to be more of a waiting game than anything else.

No one, including myself, anticipated the issues I've encountered. So, in the meantime, it would be great to connect with others here. Btw, although I am Filipina, English is my first and only language known. I have made it a priority to learn Tagalog, which will also take time!

Diana

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 11:14:17 PM »
No one, including myself, anticipated the issues I've encountered. So, in the meantime, it would be great to connect with others here.

Diana
Welcome. Yeah, you should have addressed all of your concerns on a forum with members in the know to get all of your questions answered.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 12:22:00 AM »
Welcome.  What part of Florida did you come from?  And if you are renewing a US passport, I am just curious, is it not good enough as it's own documentation?  After all, it is a renewal, right?
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline kazookid

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 07:00:15 AM »
Hey there, I'm looking to renew my Phillipine passport. I lived in Palm Bay, Fl. I am not a U.S. citizen. I was born here in La Union.

Is there a specific thread I should post in to address these concerns? I'm here now. Prior to coming it felt as if I did extensive research. Now that I'm here I'm running into issues the internet doesn't warn you about! I

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 07:57:16 AM »
If you live near a SM Mall, there's an NSO Office to order your birth certificate and a travel agency who can assist you to renew your Philippine passport.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline kazookid

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »
Really? I'm told I need to go to Santa Mesa to the census there. I'll go when they open and find out.

I have a question. I've been trying to get my Barangay ID. When I went to the local office here in Las Pinas they told me they didn't have. I've been told because I'm new here the govt employees will try to trick me. Is that really what's going on? I am a Filipine citizen. The fact I don't know much Tagalog seems to be an issue for everyone. I remember going to Kindergarten here and they teaching you English. Is it really THAT frowned upon? Ok 3 questions. I'm dying to meet someone I can talk to. Are there any local hangouts to meet people, preferably those who speak English?

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 10:35:51 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

By barangay ID do you mean certificate of residency? Each one has slightly different requirements, but essentially you need proof of residency, such as a bill or some such thing.

If you are living in a condo, the condo may be able to provide a certificate of residency, which can be taken to the barangay office as proof of residency.

Good luck. Yes, it can be frustrating, and take a long time, with multiple trips to the same office.

It is all a learning experience.

Thomas

Offline kazookid

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 11:38:40 AM »
Oh this is definitely proving to be a learning experience!!

When I went to Census they told me I needed a valid ID to authenticate my birth certificate. To get, say, a postal ID you need your birth certificate haha. I saw on the list of acceptable ID's the Baranguy ID. Came back to the Condotel, they told me I needed to live here a week. It's been 2 now. She said to go to the baranguy office but when i went they said "walang". Came back she then said I needed the Cebula and to go to municipal hall for that. Did that but they were either acting or really didn't speak English. It's frustrating but I'm incredibly determined. Looks like I need to be in search of a local to help me out.

I didnt want to post my story publicly however am willing to share through PM. I'm here to renew my Phillipine passport yes, but it's not what landed me here - if that makes sense.

The SM mall by me didn't have an NSO office. Went and looked today.

Does anyone know the requirements needed to work here for a Filipino? I know SSS ID, Baranguay and Postal. Are there more? A lot of ID's haha. So much different than the states!

Thank you - Diana

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 12:22:25 PM »
Did you check in the SM Business Center at Southmall for ordering from NSO?  They have that service at SM BF and that is way smaller mall than Southmall.  If for some reason, Southmall does not have it, SM BF and SM Sucat are not too far from you and both have it.  As of about a year ago they did anyway.  And if you are renewing a passport, I don't understand how you are having so much problem with providing an ID.  Almost everything, to my knowledge, when requiring ID has a passport listed as a stand-alone document.  And I think that most of the problem with the nose bleeds are people BS'ing you.  Don't act like you are so new here when talking to them.  I will check with my contact about passport processing and see what could possibly and might be the problem.

Offline kazookid

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »
My passport has been expired for quite some time now. The picture if of me at 12 years old. I ended up having to get a Travel Document from the Phillipine Embassy in Washington D.C to even fly here.

My only problem with not acting so new is trying to explain why I don't speak Tagalog. It's an almost immediate negative reaction.

I truly appreciate your help. It looks like I'll be here for a while. So I'm going to need to get all the ID's required to work here anyway.

Thank you again,
Diana

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 02:22:00 PM »
My passport has been expired for quite some time now. The picture if of me at 12 years old. I ended up having to get a Travel Document from the Phillipine Embassy in Washington D.C to even fly here.

My only problem with not acting so new is trying to explain why I don't speak Tagalog. It's an almost immediate negative reaction.

I truly appreciate your help. It looks like I'll be here for a while. So I'm going to need to get all the ID's required to work here anyway.

Thank you again,
Diana

Yeah, I just found out that if you have a green or brown old passport and/or expired, then you need the birth certificate.  Otherwise, an unexpired passport up for renewal is good enough for ID.  Plus, now you mention it is a minor's passport and I don't know about DFA but with a US passport, a former minor can not renew for an adult passport.  They have to treat it as applying as a new passport application.  So, you have to go through the hoops anyway being expired and probably another one or two of the other reasons.  Good luck.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 05:24:57 PM »
Just a quick bit of info.

The NSO has been renamed the "Philippines Statistic Authority" aka the PSA.

May have caused some miscommunication. In most non-metro places I've been to they have been in their own premises.
My wife was in the Olongopo office last week andwas suprised at how clean the new place is. With very courteous and knowledgable stall.

Peter.
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline kazookid

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 06:52:53 AM »
Yes PSA is what I've found out too - which is in Santa Mesa. I first need a valid ID. Ah, I'm a patient woman. I've resigned to the difficulties. Seems I'm playing more of a waiting game than anything else right now. I'm going to make my way to the municipal hall here in Las Pinas to see about a Cebula. I'm just hoping they speak English! I know a few words in Tagalog but have learned the hard if you speak to someone in Tagalog and they speak back I'm lost!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog