Author Topic: Working visa: can I do the application by myself or is it up to the company?  (Read 380 times)

Offline andrez

Hello, I'm from EU and I'm planning to move to Manila because my girlfriend is living there. But I need to find a job there and to get a visa for working.

As far as I understand, I need a job contract and then I need to apply for a 9(G) visa.
I tried to do some research, but I'm still a bit confused about how to apply.

- Is it up to the company that offers me a job to take care of the visa application, or can I do that by myself?
- Do I need to be already in the Philippines in order to be able to apply for the visa or can I do it before moving there?

Thank you for your help ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:21:24 AM by andrez »

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Hello, I'm from EU and I'm planning to move to Manila because my girlfriend is living there. But I need to find a job there and to get a visa for working.

As far as I understand, I need a job contract and then I need to apply for a 9(G) visa.
I tried to do some research, but I'm still a bit confused about how to apply.

- Is it up to the company that offers me a job to take care of the visa application, or can I do that by myself?
- Do I need to be already in the Philippines in order to be able to apply for the visa or can I do it before moving there?

Thank you for your help ;)

I got one question at the moment.  If you did not have a girlfriend in Manila, would you be moving there?  Well, actually a second one at this time.  Have you been to the Philippines yet?
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
I would add a few other questions:

What type of work do you do?

What type of work will you be looking for in the Philippines?

Are you aware of the wage rates in the Philippines?

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
You're on the right track about the 9G working visa.
In other words, what skills do you have to bring to the table?

http://www.tripleiconsulting.com/9g-working-visa/

Any foreign national who will be employed in the Philippines and occupying a technical, executive, managerial or highly confidential position in a company for at least one year, can apply for a pre-arranged employment visa, or commonly referred to as the 9G visa, under Sec. 9(g) of the Philippine Immigration Act.

Requirements:
Letter of request from the petitioning company;
Accomplished and duly notarized application form (Form MCL-07-01);
Alien Employment Permit (AEP);
Clearance certificate issued by the Bureau of Immigration (BI);
Any other documents which will assist in the evaluation process;
Authenticated copy of the passport showing current valid visa; and
Certified true copies of the Marriage Contract, Birth Certificates (authenticated at Philippine Embassy if issued abroad), if to be accompanied by spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old.

Procedure:
Obtaining an AEP from the DOLE, and establish that no individual located within the Philippines is willing and able to perform the position and service for which the foreigner is being hired;
Submit a letter to the BI stating the admission of the alien will be beneficial to the public interest; and
During the approval process, the proposed foreigner may apply for a Special Work Permit (SWP) which is issued for a period of 3 months while the 9G visa is being released.

9G visas are valid only for the duration of the AEP or the current employment contract (whichever is shorter), and similar visas issued to dependents are co-terminus with the duration of the visa of the principal. Foreign nationals with companies registered to BOI, PEZA, and the top 1,000 corporations are given priority.

If the above info does not apply in your case, it looks like you will have to start from the beginning on a tourist visa, since it will be your first time in the Philippines and in the meantime your girlfriend will have to support you if and when you get a job on your own, which will not be easy unless you or your girlfriend have connections here in the Philippines.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:27:11 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
The above is 100% correct. An alternative is if you and your GF got married and she did a 13A for you, then you would be permitted to work w/o DOLE. Remember, marriage in the RP is forever. No divorce. Pick your poison.

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
You need the job first, then you apply for the appropriate visa and work permit.

Normally, the company does the application.  The request to DOLE for the work permit needs to be on company letter head.  The company needs to justify to DOLE why they cannot find a PHL citizen to do the same job.

Offline andrez

Ok, thank you very much for all the information :)

I try to answer your question:

If you did not have a girlfriend in Manila, would you be moving there?

I don't know :)

Have you been to the Philippines yet?

Yes

What type of work do you do?

Web developer

What type of work will you be looking for in the Philippines?

Web developer. But if I can find another job is fine anyway

Are you aware of the wage rates in the Philippines?

Yes

So, if a company is interested in offering me a job and they ask me about my work permit, can I say that I can apply for the visa if I have a job contract?
Is that correct?
If they offer me a job contract, then can I do the application by myself?

I'm asking this because my priority is to find a job and if I make the process as simple as possible for the company it could be easier. So if I can offer to take care of the visa application I have more chances.
What do you think?

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Andrez if you don't slow down and do things by the book here you'll end up arrested, incarcerated fined, deported and blacklisted from ever entering again.  I've watched several expats arrested at these call center spots over the 8 years I've been here unless you can somehow make money online I'd follow the advice of Steve and get married if you really want to live here.

If this won't work for you there's another option... Find an Asian woman in your home country they are available and just as beautiful.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
Andrez if you don't slow down and do things by the book here you'll end up arrested, incarcerated fined, deported and blacklisted from ever entering again.  I've watched several expats arrested at these call center spots over the 8 years I've been here unless you can somehow make money online I'd follow the advice of Steve and get married if you really want to live here.

If this won't work for you there's another option... Find an Asian woman in your home country they are available and just as beautiful.

This is a very good point.

There are companies in the PHL operating illegally wrt employees; foreign and local.  Some of these companies won't worry if the foreigner has the proper work related documentation.  If the foreigner runs into trouble with immigration, the company surely won't help with the immigration issues.

If a company in the PHL legitimately hires foreign workers to work in the PHL, the company will take the responsibility to make sure the visa and work permit issues are in order and not let the foreign worker try to manage those immigration/ work permit issues on his/her own.  A legitimate PHL company has a lot to lose if they do not follow immigration and DOLE rules wrt foreign workers.

Offline andrez

Ok, thank you all for your advice  :)

In order to wrap up and answer my original questions:

The company must take care of the visa application.

Is that right understanding?

What about my second question?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 05:05:51 AM by andrez »

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
What about my second question?

You might wish to read the page below, it will give you all the answers you need.

Alien Employment Permit
4. Where shall an application for an AEP be filed?
An application for AEP shall be filed personally or through their respective employer with the DOLE Regional Office or Field Office having jurisdiction over the intended place of work.
In case of foreign nationals to be assigned in subsidiaries, branch offices and joint ventures, and those assigned in the headquarters with oversight functions in any of the branch offices, operations or projects in the country, they may file their application in any of the DOLE Regional/Field Offices nearest their place of work.

CHECKLIST OF REQUIREMENTS FOR ALIEN EMPLOYMENT PERMIT
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
A couple of ideas,  to consider.

Talk to your girl and make sure she is cool with the idea of moving and taking a local job.  It is probably fine, but usually foreign boyfriend comes with foreign income.

If there is any chance to find a job where you are now that would transfer you to phils that would be ideal.  You could take a lower pay than others you compete with in exchange for working in the Phills. 
“Old men do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“Keep on rocking in the free world”

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
If the form doesn't worry you that Lee2 posted, talk about red tape here is more requirements and costs and it appears once you get all this accomplished than you go for a 9g Visa.   Found a little more information here's a link.  http://www.ble.dole.gov.ph/index.php/web-pages/118-alien-employment-permit

Here's the kicker, all this work only to make about 12,000 pesos per month starting or less, I wish you the best of luck but anything's possible if you want it bad enough.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog