Author Topic: Tunnel vision or following bosses orders to the T  (Read 520 times)

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Re: Tunnel vision or following bosses orders to the T
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 12:07:40 AM »
Understood Bud. More appropriate to a (non serving) military forum.

Getting back on track,

MCA. Old Spice have a product range available in the Philippines called - yes you guessed correctly - "High Endurance". So both the expat and the manager were correct. But one was probably asking about the brand (or maybe he meant the Classic range) as he knows it, and the other a specific product the store carried.
See < https://tinyurl.com/ydxjhy8h  > for Lazada's Old Spice product offerings.

"Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet". Kipling 1895 and, IMHO, still true today.   :) :) :)

Peter

Sorry, wasn't referring to you.  What I did not want to say did not belong on here.  I don't know if I would say the whole forum or board.  It is something that would be in the dark place.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 11:27:39 PM »
With the meds it's important to spell it out. With the other stuff it can be humorous. A friend taught me to ask, "do you know what that is" when they say out of stock. Half the time the are just not aware of the product you named. For instance:

Do you have Velcro?
No sair...out of stock.
Do you know what Velcro is?
No sair.
<describe velcro>
Oh!!! You want magic tape! And the proceed to sjow me an entire wall with velcro!

I went into Ace Hardware at SM Fairview looking for several things, including some crocus cloth, a high quality type of sandpaper that is made with a cloth backing instead of paper, so that I could polish some metal. I spent a few minutes trying to explain what it was, then asked "where is the sandpaper?" He took me to the sandpaper aisle and, low and behold, there were full racks of different grades of crocus cloth. I tried to explain the difference, but he shrugged his shoulders and said, "Yes sir, sandpaper"  Go figure. You gotta love it!  :D
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Sam218

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 10:23:42 AM »
When I need something I try to bring in a sample or a photo of what I need especially if I need it badly and this seems to work because many of these products have different names here even our imported products could go by another name example High Endurance as it's known here but in the U.S. Old Spice, I was witness to an argument of another expat and the manager the manager wouldn't back down on the name given here.

This is a good idea to save time and avoid stress and confusions. Filipinos may be able to speak and understand English but don't expect them to know everything you're talking about. I mean, the English vocabulary is too broad. Most likely than not, they only know the basics. Also, even if the product labels are written in English, I doubt employees will spend all their time to read each and every manufacturer label. They usually remember the product by it's local or common name.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog