Author Topic: Dual Citizenship  (Read 445 times)

Offline DDastardly

Dual Citizenship
« on: August 12, 2018, 02:12:33 AM »
Hey people, My name is Aaron i'm 27 years old, My mother is Pinay and my father is English, at some point in my life i would like to live permanently in the Philippines and have been thinking it can only be an advantage if i get British / Filipino dual citizenship. My question is whether or not i will be able to achieve this or is there certain requirements that must be considered. Any help on this subject would be fantastic! Please ask any question's if needed.

Thank you in advance
Aaron.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Dual Citizenship
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:40:02 AM »
What Passport are you on now?

Offline DDastardly

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 02:49:45 AM »
What Passport are you on now?

Ive been on a British passport since birth.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 03:15:25 AM »
I am no expert but I believe it will matter what passport your mother held at the time of your birth, it appears from the below that if she was a Philippine citizen at the time of your birth and you can prove it, then you could apply for dual citizenship, the Philippine embassy for the area you currently live would tell you if you qualify, if you fit into the below and she still has her old passport proving she was a Philippine citizen at the time of your birth.

WHO ARE NATURAL BORN FILIPINOS ?
Those who are citizens of the Philippines from birth without having to perform any act to acquire or perfect their Philippine citizenship. These are persons:

Born after January 17, 1973 ,whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines at the time of their birth;
 Born before January 17, 1973 to a:
Filipino Father; or
Filipino Mother and that person elects Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority; or

MORE HERE
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 03:24:58 AM by Lee2 »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline DDastardly

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 03:33:32 AM »
I am no expert but I believe it will matter what passport your mother held at the time of your birth, it appears from the below that if she was a Philippine citizen at the time of your birth and you can prove it, then you could apply for dual citizenship, the Philippine embassy for the area you currently live would tell you if you qualify, if you fit into the below and she still has her old passport proving she was a Philippine citizen at the time of your birth.

WHO ARE NATURAL BORN FILIPINOS ?
Those who are citizens of the Philippines from birth without having to perform any act to acquire or perfect their Philippine citizenship. These are persons:

Born after January 17, 1973 ,whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines at the time of their birth;
 Born before January 17, 1973 to a:
Filipino Father; or
Filipino Mother and that person elects Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority; or

MORE HERE

Thank you for the information, I do believe she was still a Philippine national at the time of my birth, I am wondering if there is a language requirement for dual citizenship, will i have to be able to speak fluently in tagalog?

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 03:36:57 AM »
Thank you for the information, I do believe she was still a Philippine national at the time of my birth, I am wondering if there is a language requirement for dual citizenship, will i have to be able to speak fluently in tagalog?
That should do it for you, as long as she can prove she was, the Philippines will require proof.

BTW welcome to the forum and the best of luck getting your dual citizenship, I do not believe you will be required to speak the language but if you wish to live in the Philippines one day, then you might wish to start learning anyway.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 03:39:39 AM »
Here is the process. http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/dual-citizenship-ra-9225

Oh, and your country would need to be one that allows dual citizenship.

Offline DDastardly

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 03:45:27 AM »
Awesome, thanks a lot Lee!
As far as i am aware, i believe the United Kingdom does recognise and allow dual citizenship.

I do not believe you will be required to speak the language but if you wish to live in the Philippines one day, then you might wish to start learning anyway.

And yes, a part of me feel's ashamed that i cannot speak the language, although i can understand it! It's about time the books come out and i get my head down and learn :)

Salamat

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 06:35:08 AM »
Your Bristish Certificate of Citizenship will determine eligability for dual citizenship,
If the word "Naturalized" appears on your British Certificate of Citizenship which says British Cetificate of Naturalization, which means you were a Filipino citizen at birth and upon entering the UK was naturalized as a British Citizen.
If you were naturalized, you are eligable to apply for dual citizenship under RA9225.
You may be eligable by another way since your mother was a Filipino citizen when you were born by way of being Recognized as a Filipino by birth under the Philippine Constitution of 1971 or 1978.
It would be a simple matter by asking an immigration attorney at your nearest Philippine Embassy.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:56:54 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 07:29:46 AM »
Your British Certificate of Citizenship will determine eligibility for dual citizenship,
If the word "Naturalized" appears on your British Certificate of Citizenship which says British Certificate of Naturalization, which means you were a Filipino citizen at birth and upon entering the UK was naturalized as a British Citizen.
If you were naturalized, you are eligible to apply for dual citizenship under RA9225.
You may be eligible by another way since your mother was a Filipino citizen when you were born by way of being Recognized as a Filipino by birth under the Philippine Constitution of 1973 or 1978.
It would be a simple matter by asking an immigration attorney at your nearest Philippine Embassy.
If for some reason you are not eligible for Dual Citizenship under RA 9225, go to this link: https://www.google.com/search?q=certificate+of+filipino+recognition
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 10:12:05 AM »

No in your case no language requirement. I (similar case to yours) applied for and received Philippine citizenship without having the ability to speak any of the Philippine languages.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog