Author Topic: Waves of garbage crash ashore in Manila  (Read 216 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Waves of garbage crash ashore in Manila
« on: August 15, 2018, 03:29:50 AM »
This is a sore spot for me. I do my part and work proactively to prevent my family from contributing to the problem. What can we do, collectively, to help prevent this?

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/08/14/waves-garbage-crash-ashore-in-stunning-footage.html
Louisville, KY USA

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Waves of garbage crash ashore in Manila
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 04:37:29 AM »
Unfortunately for too long the Filipino people have viewed the ocean as a huge magical garbage disposal system, just throw the trash in the river and it will all flow to the ocean and disappear.

There needs to be a massive propaganda effort to educate the population that dumping trash just anywhere is a bad practice with major consequences.

Education, awareness is the answer.

It's not uncommon to be in somewhere that is for the most part a beautiful location except for the fact of some large collection to garbage.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 08:08:07 AM »
Look at the bright side.  Mother Nature gathered the basura up in a pile so that it is easy to clean up.

Offline Sam218

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
Unfortunately for too long the Filipino people have viewed the ocean as a huge magical garbage disposal system, just throw the trash in the river and it will all flow to the ocean and disappear.

There needs to be a massive propaganda effort to educate the population that dumping trash just anywhere is a bad practice with major consequences.

Education, awareness is the answer.

It's not uncommon to be in somewhere that is for the most part a beautiful location except for the fact of some large collection to garbage.

I have seen a photo of an ATM machine of a particular bank where receipts just scattered on the floor. There are two garbage cans beside the machine but people seem to not see it. When I went on a commute, I also have witnessed Filipinos who just throw their thrash on the street, despite the fact that there's a trashcan inside the jeepney. Some of them are students.

So aside from education and awareness, I guess it helps to add strict policy regarding the collection of garbage.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog