Author Topic: Buying/Leasing land or house in Philippines  (Read 3347 times)

Offline gregpinton

Re: Buying/Leasing land or house in Philippines
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 12:05:40 PM »
This is a xerox copy of the section of beach that the lot owner had surveyed, i can't read it, but the original is back at his home in Diapila Bay (he runs an island tour business from El Nido)

He finally told me that the lot is 50m wide x 30m back, so it is actually 1,500sm in total, and when i questioned him about the 600sm that he said i can have for P100,000 per year, he now tells me i can have all 1,500sm for that price, and i think he may have done this because i made a counter offer of 50,000 per year and he can keep 2 of the cottages that i build, if there is 3 he has to pay me for 50% of the building cost for that one, which is the offer our family lawyer advised me to give him.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 04:23:19 PM »
We also had one of these plans drawn up or map but the in-laws took it from us or we failed to make a copy and after years of messing lawyers and trying to get a title we gave up.

In-laws used this same legal drawing we had drafted to sell land but it couldn't' be titled it was a mess and nobody owns the property the woman who paid 500,000 pesos was shot as she opened her door on another unrelated issue.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline gregpinton

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2018, 10:53:12 PM »
Yes, it is a nightmare, especially in more remote fishing villages on pristine beaches that are not yet developed for tourism, and the whole reason for us wanting to lease this beachfront lot is so that we can get some of the tourists visiting Coron and El Nido to visit the beach and stay a night or 2.

It is at the far northern end of Palawan, on the western side, 1 hour by boat north from El Nido, and hundreds of tourists go past it every day in the fast ferries that commute between El Nido and Coron.

We also just found out today that another Filipino resident from this beach at Diapila has just completed (last week) a big concrete building which houses several rooms for tourists, and a restaurant out the front, and has just employed several local ladies to work there.

Offline gregpinton

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 05:05:07 PM »
Sorry about posting back so late, had nothing more to add to this topic late last year, but we got back from a 2 month trip to Palawan Island 3 weeks ago, and as i suspected, the so called owner of the beach front property who offered to lease to us a 1500sm portion for 10 years at P1m per year was not being truthful after all.

We took a 1 hour boat trip to that place from El Nido (Nacpan beach) one day without telling this guy we was coming, and we spent 3 days there (incognito) without telling anyone who we was, and a lot of stuff that the land owner had told me was not correct, and thankfully he was not there during those 3 days because it allowed some of the locals there to tell us things without the owner knowing about it.

Seems like there is a lot of ill feeling in that place among the locals and these rich land owners, and even if this land owner was being up front with me, i would never want to deal with anyone who blatantly ripped off the previous owners of that land (in this case over half the length of the beach) and took over like they were all scum, and threw them all out and forced them into the back hills to live.

In Palawan, nearly every square meter of so called potential tourism beach property is now owned by greedy, self indulging local government officials or politicians, who threw wads of cash at the poor villagers who lived on these beaches and sent them packing, ang got their croney lawer mates to change the ownership into their names so the previous owner had no way of getting their land back.

Sad that even Filipino people will rip off their own people like that, and this reinforces my belief in never staying in any resort or lodgings that is owned by a Filipino politician, a member of the local council (mayor or otherwise) or a foreigner, when i go to the Philippines i only support businesses that are completely owned by normal every day local residents, so the money i pay stays in the region (hopefully)

We did end up discovering a new place that we had never heard of before (in Palawan) that not many foreigners go to at the moment, and while there we entered into negotiations with a Filipino family to buy, or lease a 2,500sm portion of titled beachfront property on the main beach just outside of the main town (the owners want to relocate back to Mindanao to live) and as well as that, we are also negotiating with the owners of an existing beach front lodging on the same beach (it has 5 bamboo bungalows and a small restaurant) to invest some cash into the business so they can expand by 50% and build another 5 bamboo bungalows, which would mean that we would become 25% co-owners of that place (it has a clear, clean title)

Going back in 3 months to sort out all the finer details.

Online Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »
Greg.

Congrats. It's always better to have the boots on the ground and your 'sneaky-beaky' way was even better.  :) :) :)

Unfortunately, those with money tend to greedy bar stewards, no matter the country they come from.

Some try to justify such practises as, "Only business, nothing personal!"  Greedy toads I call them. Karma will have a way of dealing with those.I hope!

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline gregpinton

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2019, 06:44:24 PM »
Thanks, some things were meant to be, others not, and i often thought something was not right with that other venture, which is why i had to be sure that when we got to that beach, the owner was not going to be there.

I actually messaged him via messenger the day before to ask if he was there, and he told me he was still in El Nido running another business that he owns there, so i found a local fisherman at Nacpan beach (Calitang beach to be precise) who was able to take us to this place so i could look into everything without the guy being there.

The place we have now looked at will most likely become a very popular tourist spot in Palawan, i think in around 5 years it will start to grow as more Foreigners find it and start spreading the word (most of the tourists going there are Filipino people from Palawan) so we decided to invest there now while things are still quiet, and very affordable, and local residents still own all the land, but we are not spending so much cash that we will lose it all if tourism doesn't take off in a big way, because to be really honest, this place needs to be protected from over commercialization, but have a big enough tourism boost to help support the wonderful locals in that region, most of whom are fishermen from what i can tell.

The Lodging place we want to invest in is all set up, has been there for 5 years, and is the only beach front lodging in the whole region, so to start a new beach front lodging from scratch right now would be a mistake, and makes more sense to invest in something already set up, and just expand it a bit to cater for a few more tourists, and the only other lodgings are 3 backpacker guesthouse type lodgings in the main town, and a few small bars and restaurants scattered around the town as well.

The land we want to buy or lease will be left as it is for a few years, and there is currently 8 families living on that property in shanties, so they will be staying there, and will caretake and keep the property clean for us in exchange for living there, and if we ever decide to develop the land, it will be just a small holiday house in the middle that we can use ourselves, or rent out to other family members or Aussie tourists whenever we are not there, and we will designate a couple of the ladies who live on that land to prepare meals and do the housekeeping for guests who stay there, and the guests will pay them a fee directly rather than do it thru us.

Big plans and plenty of time to do it.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog