Author Topic: Hello  (Read 521 times)

Offline larschm1

Hello
« on: September 07, 2018, 05:00:42 PM »
Hi Everyone!  My name is Larry Schmidt and I have actually been a member of the group for many, many years but I don't post much and mostly just read the digest when it arrives.  A little about myself and my family - I was fortunate to be a sailor in the world's finest Navy and retired in 1991.  I started my career as a Seaman Recruit and finished as a Limited Duty Officer (LDO) Lieutenant.  If not for the Navy, I would not met my beautiful wife, Zeny, who I married in September 1975.  In just a few days we will celebrate our 43rd anniversary.  We were married in Zeny's hometown of Santa Catalina, Lubao, Pampanga.  We have 2 grown sons who have their own families and they have blessed us with 3 grandsons (with a 4th grandchild on the way).  We settled into Winter Park, Florida and I had a second career as State Corrections Officer at the Central Florida Reception Center - a very interesting and challenging vocation.  I retired as a Corrections Officer in 2009.  Since that time I have done a number of things (mostly for fun) such as driving boats for Walt Disney World.  Now, Zeny and I operate a home day care center but we probably won't do it much longer as we are getting up there in age - I'm 66 and Zeny is almost 65.  I would love to retire to the Philippines but Zeny can't bear to leave the grandbabies.  As the old saying goes, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Anyway, we are coming for a visit in mid-November and will be staying until mid-January.  We don't really have anything planned.  At the top of my bucket list is to visit Corregidor.  I told Zeny that I don't care if I have to go by myself but I am going to Corregidor this trip.  I am an American history buff and I have to get there.  On another subject, I have a question for the group and I hope someone will have some input for me.  Zeny has dentures which need to be replaced and we would like to do that while we are visiting.  Does anyone in the group know of a good dentist or company that manufactures dentures in Pampanga or Manila?  Our schedule is flexible and we have plenty of time to get it done.  We can go anywhere on Luzon if necessary. 

Well, I guess that I have blathered on enough.  I will try to post more frequently but it is more difficult when I don't live in the Philippines.  I sometimes have no idea what all of you are talking about but I will try to contribute. 

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me and God bless all of you.  Larry Schmidt

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »
Great first post Larry.  I hope you and Zeny enjoy your upcoming trip.

As to the dentist...some on here live in Manila and will probably have good suggestions.  What I've found is that even the average dentist is much better in the Phils than what I've experienced in the USA.  Had some work done when I got here including a couple needed extractions.  They all were done much faster and with less pain and discomfort than what I had to deal with when I had one tooth extracted when I was in the US as well as my wisdom teeth I had extracted.  Those were very painful memories each.  So probably not going to be too hard to find a dentist that can help with Zeny. 

All that said, I suggest you follow the suggestions on here.  When it came to getting plates, I did make a mistake by using the "local" guy who made them.  I had to go back a lot of times to get adjustments and even when all of them were done they were messed up so fundamentally that the still were not positioned right when in.  So I had to go to the neighboring city to get a pair made.  So for the dentures, you are on the right path to ask for suggestions.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 11:42:21 PM »
Mabuhay Larry!. 
Re Corregidor,  there are tourist group (with commentaries and food etc.) packages that will take you out there and back.  You may be able to "personalize"  your trip by hiring a guide so you can chose how to spend your time.  They go often.  You can arrange that when you get to Manila. 
I've availed of services of dentists and yes, they're good. Sorry I can't remember names/clinics I've been to. 

Offline larschm1

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 02:30:36 AM »
Thanks so much for the information.  I have found a few websites for dentists and denture labs in the metro Manila area and they claim to cater to foreigners who come to the Philippines on "dental holidays."  I was a little bit apprehensive but your posts are reassuring.  If any of the group have any specific dentists that they recommend, I would be very appreciative.  And, thanks also for the information on Corregidor.  I have done some checking and it appears that Sun Cruises are the big tour operators to the island. 

Once again, thanks so much for the help.

Offline mikbal

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 11:51:28 PM »
I've not used her services but a couple expat friends go to Dr. Tey at Smile makeover
In Angeles City. They were happy with their experience.

https://smilemakeoverdental.net

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »
Larry, we have been using a Dentist for many years but this practice is located in Sta Cruz Laguna so a couple hours south of Manila, they have a Facebook page and also I will give another link.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Local-Business/THE-DENTAL-CLINIC-Feliciano-Associates-379931575143/

Google map:   https://www.google.com.ph/maps/place/The+Dental+Clinic+-+Feliciano+and+Associates/@13.9023277,121.5315127,9z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x58e6ce0ffdefc1f2!8m2!3d14.280448!4d121.416532
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline larschm1

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 03:49:50 PM »
Thank you so much, Mikbal and MCA!  I really appreciate the information.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 03:54:07 AM »
Zeny has dentures which need to be replaced and we would like to do that while we are visiting.  Does anyone in the group know of a good dentist or company that manufactures dentures in Pampanga or Manila?  Our schedule is flexible and we have plenty of time to get it done.  We can go anywhere on Luzon if necessary. 

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me and God bless all of you.  Larry Schmidt

Welcome to the group Larry! My wife Gloria dn I both have had extensive dental work performed while in Manila. We had great luck with Dra Dolores S Aldave and Dra Gene Margaret Q. Ignacio with Dental Breath Therapy Clinic

Their office is located in the SM Fairview Mall, Caloocan City
Dental Breath Therapy Clinic
Building B, L2 SM City Fairview
Novaliches, Caloocan
Phone - (+63) 2 936 7398

They are on the top floor just down the hall from the cinemas.

We got estimates from our dentist in the US that were from $25,000-30.000 to do work on both of us. Yes, our teeth were in that bad shape, with many missing and the others needing extensive repair. When all was said and done we got our dental work completed for roughly $9,000 and the work was top notch. After we returned home to the US and went to our dentist for our regular cleaning they asked where we got the work done. I asked if it looked good and was told they did a fabulous job, but no way our dentist here could do the same because they "would go out of business" doing it that cheap. Just another of the many things I love about the Philippines.  :)

Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog