Author Topic: where did everyone go?  (Read 197 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
where did everyone go?
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:37:12 AM »
Did one of us big bad moderators scare you all off?? I know about big mouth Bud who thinks the rules of a forum do not apply to him but what about the rest of you?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: where did everyone go?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 11:17:26 AM »
Did one of us big bad moderators scare you all off?? I know about big mouth Bud who thinks the rules of a forum do not apply to him but what about the rest of you?

Still here Boss!  ;D ;D ;D

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 09:09:06 PM »
Still here Boss!  ;D ;D ;D

Peter
And we all appreciate that, thank you.

Oh and by the way, I am no boss to anyone, I and the other moderators are just a peace keepers who try to keep the forum running smoothly.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 10:57:53 PM »
I'm still here my friend.

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 11:52:18 PM »
I am still around.  Still on the right side of the grass.

My posting is limited since I do not have a whole lot to contribute.  I last lived full-time in the Phils way back in 2002, with only a couple of trips since, so I am out of the loop somewhat.  I cannot claim to be all that savvy about how living is there these days.

Looking to the future, it looks less and less likely that we'll go back full-time.  My Filipina wife of 15 years is probably less interested than I am.  She does not like the year-round hot weather and the pollution in the cities affects her eyes.  We were there a few years go; me for one month and she stayed for two.  She spent a lot of time looking for eye drops, etc.  Most of her time was spent with family close to Manila, in an area that has more than its share of pollution.  I departed for the province, then back to Canada after a month, but she stuck it out.

Another thing about that trip was it finally brought home to my wife that her family's interest in her is co-extensive with her bank account.  When she was a child, she was regarded more as a liability than an asset, was not sent to school, except very intermittently by grandparents who looked after her for a time before they died.  She was sent out to beg.  Passed around like a hot plate at a dinner party, from relative to relative, for whom she provided gratuitous maid services from a tender age.  Until she met me, she had never been to a doctor or a dentist and it was a struggle to convince her to go.

I took her away from that life, but still she felt beholden to her parents because they brought her into the world.  I explained to her many times that they were just dirt poor randy teenagers who had no grand plan about creating a life to be revered.  I explained they had no business making a baby unless they could give said baby love and the best care possible.  I explained that they failed her in every way possible and that for her to feel any sense of obligation to them is wholly unwarranted and undeserved.  She would pretend to assent to my view; yet in her heart she was not convinced.

But that last trip home was the epiphany.  Having not seen any of them for over a decade, yes, she was welcomed with open arms. The prodigal daughter has returned!  And it was all sweetness and light as long as the pesos flowed.  But any attempt to stem the tide was seen as kuripot.  No good deed goes unpunished.  So, after two months (she had actually planned to stay for three) she was done, like dinner.  She changed her flight schedule and beat it back to Canada on the double.  Taking a different tack than General MacArthur, swore never to return.  I believe her. 

The bright side in all of this otherwise depressing saga it that I have saved a bundle.  None of that "If you marry a Filipina, you marry the family" for this kid.  For many, that entails providing "help" or call it what you will.  I have been there, done that, in a past relationship with a Filipina.  I did it willingly and would have done so again.

Last month I met a guy from another part of Canada and his Filipina wife. He told me they send CAD350/mo. to her family.  That's a bit more than P14,000, which would come in handy in many Filipino households.  If my wife's family had ever cared a whit for her welfare, I would today be content with a similar arrangement.  Living here, P14,000 is nothing.  Can't buy a gallon of gas for that.  So perhaps now my wife's family has had occasion to reflect on their wrongdoing.  They never saw it coming that the little girl they regarded as a throwaway would end up with a financially-comfortable kano.  Had they played their cards differently, they would now be on the gravy train, the chuckwagon.  But, alas, their manoks have come home to roost.  Sayang.

It's 8 a.m. on a Sunday here and my wife went off to work about 2 hours ago.  We live off grid in a sparsely-populated place where most of the employment is in logging and such.  At under 5 feet tall and 90 lb. my wife does not really have the makings of a logger.  She can wield a chainsaw and drive trucks and tractors, but I don't see her as a faller, a hoe chucker, chaser, etc.  She sometimes gets in her boat and goes off to cook at a resort, but that's mostly summer.  Lately it's been aquaculture.  The outfit she is working for is busy right now. Today is day 11 in a row of her heading off at 6 a.m. and coming home after 8 p.m.  For her efforts she makes about P60,000 a week or so, because many hours are paid at time and a half and double time. For working a holiday she gets time and a half for every hour worked plus a regular day's pay, thanks to the Employment Standards Act.  I am not sure I could do it and I would want a lot more money for those hours, but she's having fun and getting a kick out of making the kind of money she could never have made on the mean streets of Bulacan.  I wonder what her family would think.

Anyway, time for me too to get back to work.  I realize this has turned into a rather long, tedious post.  It is my sorry explanation for not being a prolific poster.  My Filipino blood is thin.  I no longer have the connection to the Phils that I enjoyed in the years 1994-2002.  My experience is now "dated" and I cannot offer much to those now taking the plunge and moving off to the RP.  I take some vicarious pleasure, though, in reading their stories here.  So I hope they'll keep coming.  I read here most days, since the forum has a core of members with interesting ideas and contributions and I appreciate what they have to say.  Always a pleasure to read about the adventures of those just discovering the Philippines.  Although I might not spend a lot of time there in the days ahead, I have a treasure trove of good memories from my times there.  A chapter in my life for which I am grateful.  I recall no bad days or experiences there.  Selective memory, perhaps?

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 05:00:57 AM »
Still here my friend, but not much to contribute since I'm basically a stay at home kind of guy at my old age.
We've been here since 1998 and life has been good to us over the years.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 09:09:30 AM »
Alive and kicking in Manila.

Offline Sam218

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 10:28:57 AM »
Been here for just a few days and only a few members are active.  Hoping to have a chance to talk with more friends here. By the way, thanks for having me here. If anyone has a question about the culture or dealing with local folks, I may be able provide some help and answer. Have fun living in the Philippines!

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 03:16:14 PM »
I already lose 2 hours each day to answering messages on Philippines forums. If I don't do 2 hours today, I have 4 hours tomorrow. So, I try and restrict where I am posting.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 08:15:39 AM »
still here and read the posts every few days I guess.    Golfing everyday has now taken up a majority of my time, its a painfully addicting sport, I have NOT yet broken a club over my knee or on a tree, but a few f bombs have found their way to my lips.  The laughter, smiles and fun far outweigh the frustrations though, so I think I will continue my futile efforts :)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 09:50:06 AM »
Still here.  The net here in my neck of the woods has been horrible.  Stuff I use to be able to download in hours is literally taking days now.  Tomorrow when I head to get my immigration work done I plan to hit my ISP seeing they closed their office in my municipality and get them to answer some questions and begin what will probably be a consecutive succession of getting workers sent to my house over and over and over until the issue is fixed.  Went through something like this about 2 years ago.  Get's real annoying.  But, one of the prices to pay living here in the Phils.  But, when it does work(it's down half the time) the speeds are just so slow that I struggle to connect to just about any site.  Forget sites like youtube and such. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »
Still here.  The net here in my neck of the woods has been horrible.  Stuff I use to be able to download in hours is literally taking days now.  Tomorrow when I head to get my immigration work done I plan to hit my ISP seeing they closed their office in my municipality and get them to answer some questions and begin what will probably be a consecutive succession of getting workers sent to my house over and over and over until the issue is fixed.  Went through something like this about 2 years ago.  Get's real annoying.  But, one of the prices to pay living here in the Phils.  But, when it does work(it's down half the time) the speeds are just so slow that I struggle to connect to just about any site.  Forget sites like youtube and such.

Joel.

A bit of a coincidence that you're suffering from slow downloads. So it may be worth seeing what your ISP is doing, as a couple of weeks ago (28 September) our Smart home WiFi went overnight from acceptable to 'can't even access their own account log in page'. I could only get Gmail, but nothing else. All pages were timing out and "pings" came back unreachable! Really, really frustrating. >:(

As the contract was due renewal on 6 October and we were considering going PLDT fiber, we went that same day (Friday) to the PLDT office to ask about their cable/fiber plans. As PLDT and Smart are interrelated, the PLDT manager was able to look up our Smart account, then told us that all the "All-In" plans with 9 number accounts (starting with 101xxxxxx and  we've had it for over 10 years) were being discontinued. No notice, just run down the bandwidth and grind to a stop!!!

Signed up there and then for a PLDT Home account. In my name as the wife had only one ID with her and they needed two. They accepted my ACR-Icard and Philippines' driving license as residential and identity proof.

This was Friday late afternoon. The following Tuesday morning, the techs arrived and installed the drop cable from the consumer unit on the pole about 50 metres away. They mounted an optical interface box on the wall next to my computer desk, then switched on the network unit (a posh router  :) ) and 2 minutes later I was connected to the internet! Took less than an hour, start to finish. A very neat and tidy installation.  :)

Old Smart contract was 1,499 a month (originally 999 pm, but it went up over the years) with pretty slow speed measured in Kbs, but with "unlimited" downloads.

We went for the  PLDT home fiber Plan 1699, which is only PhP 200 more a month than what we were paying for Smart home wifi. This gives us (up to) 15Mbps, with a cap of 150 Gb monthly downloads.  According to OOKLA a few minutes ago, we're getting around 8 mbps up and down, measured to a BT hub in Lancashire, UK.

Peter

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:40:18 AM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »
ahhh the internet in the Philippines, I know of topic but I just cant help myself, my biggest gripe about living here is the damn internet.  Drives me fricken banana's.  We are about 30 years behind the rest of the world.  UGH 

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 03:35:13 PM »

keep up the good work !!
“Old men do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“Keep on rocking in the free world”

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »
My daughter needed a break with our two grandkids my granddaughter is 2 and my grandson is 7 so what a handful we had them for a couple months especially the two-year-old so she only wants to watch Play Dough Baby Hulk YouTube videos but now they are back with my daughter what a relief.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog