Author Topic: where did everyone go?  (Read 748 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
Re: where did everyone go?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 09:54:04 PM »
keep up the good work !!
Thank you to all who keep reading and posting from time to time, I and the other peace keepers keep trying to keep the peace and keep the forum running as smoothly as possible for you all....
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 09:21:50 AM »
Joel.

A bit of a coincidence that you're suffering from slow downloads. So it may be worth seeing what your ISP is doing, as a couple of weeks ago (28 September) our Smart home WiFi went overnight from acceptable to 'can't even access their own account log in page'. I could only get Gmail, but nothing else. All pages were timing out and "pings" came back unreachable! Really, really frustrating. >:(

As the contract was due renewal on 6 October and we were considering going PLDT fiber, we went that same day (Friday) to the PLDT office to ask about their cable/fiber plans. As PLDT and Smart are interrelated, the PLDT manager was able to look up our Smart account, then told us that all the "All-In" plans with 9 number accounts (starting with 101xxxxxx and  we've had it for over 10 years) were being discontinued. No notice, just run down the bandwidth and grind to a stop!!!

Signed up there and then for a PLDT Home account. In my name as the wife had only one ID with her and they needed two. They accepted my ACR-Icard and Philippines' driving license as residential and identity proof.

This was Friday late afternoon. The following Tuesday morning, the techs arrived and installed the drop cable from the consumer unit on the pole about 50 metres away. They mounted an optical interface box on the wall next to my computer desk, then switched on the network unit (a posh router  :) ) and 2 minutes later I was connected to the internet! Took less than an hour, start to finish. A very neat and tidy installation.  :)

Old Smart contract was 1,499 a month (originally 999 pm, but it went up over the years) with pretty slow speed measured in Kbs, but with "unlimited" downloads.

We went for the  PLDT home fiber Plan 1699, which is only PhP 200 more a month than what we were paying for Smart home wifi. This gives us (up to) 15Mbps, with a cap of 150 Gb monthly downloads.  According to OOKLA a few minutes ago, we're getting around 8 mbps up and down, measured to a BT hub in Lancashire, UK.

Peter
We have globe and smart here.  But PLDT is merged with Smart as you say.  But before that happened not to long ago, we had all three.  Here, PLDT and Smart really did merge so it's only Smart now. 
Anyway, no fiber.  If there was I would have changed yesterday.  One of our neighbors works for Globe(they have the best connection where we live) and keeps us up to date with all that is going on.
What sucks for us is PLDT was on the cusp of bringing us fiber, then the merge happened.  GRRRRR.  Anyway, I guess we must still wait.  From our friends a block behind where we live(and use Smart) they are having the same issues as we are.  Even the closest net cafe is having those issues and they use the wireless smart setup. 
I have nothing to back this up, but I believe every isp in our area are using the same internet wires that come to Catarman from where ever they come from.  Can't even get a straight answer on that.  Have some techs say it comes directly from Calbayog City via Lupe De Vega and another saying it comes from Calbayog via Allen/Victoria.  But it seems that it's almost a sure thing that when one of the isp here have an issue, they all have issues.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 11:02:03 AM »

I have nothing to back this up, but I believe every isp in our area are using the same internet wires that come to Catarman from where ever they come from.  Can't even get a straight answer on that.  Have some techs say it comes directly from Calbayog City via Lupe De Vega and another saying it comes from Calbayog via Allen/Victoria.  But it seems that it's almost a sure thing that when one of the isp here have an issue, they all have issues.

Joel,

(Perhaps this should be on the Internet board.)

That's the main problem, not only here but in a lot of countries, when the internet backbone is shared by 2 or more ISPs. Almost like a garden hose with more sprinklers on it than it can handle so the less 'pressure" each outlet gets. So when the backbone has problems, they all have problems.

I do find it surprising though, that the "techs" do not know how the routing is configured. There are many, many, mobile apps, free as well as at cost, just for this.

I use an android app <IP Tools> in conjunction with <In Trace>, both free, on my tablet

'IP Tools' is a set of tools, one of which is an IP tracing function, similar to a ping, logging the location of each hop.
'In Trace', it's 'sister' app., shows the route locations on a Goggle-type map.
Inputting the IP addresses logged from "IP Tools' (or any other ping programme) to "In Trace", you'll see the location.

eg. Using the above, a trace to 210.213.130.162 (PLDT Dilman) I see on the map, the route goes via 119.94.64.1 (Makati) and 122.2.175.190 (Mandaluyong City).
You may want to do something similar from your location to see how, wnad where, it goes.

A simple process, which is why I'm very surprised at the lack of knowledge of your local techs.
Or maybe not, as the PLDT installation guys who came to us, were surprised to see that I had "WiFi Monitor" app. on my phone, so I could walk around the house seeing what the wifi signal strength was in each room. They hadn't seen anything like it   :( :( :(

HTHs.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:36:42 AM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 08:21:25 PM »
Joel,

(Perhaps this should be on the Internet board.)

That's the main problem, not only here but in a lot of countries, when the internet backbone is shared by 2 or more ISPs. Almost like a garden hose with more sprinklers on it than it can handle so the less 'pressure" each outlet gets. So when the backbone has problems, they all have problems.

I do find it surprising though, that the "techs" do not know how the routing is configured. There are many, many, mobile apps, free as well as at cost, just for this.

I use an android app <IP Tools> in conjunction with <In Trace>, both free, on my tablet

'IP Tools' is a set of tools, one of which is an IP tracing function, similar to a ping, logging the location of each hop.
'In Trace', it's 'sister' app., shows the route locations on a Goggle-type map.
Inputting the IP addresses logged from "IP Tools' (or any other ping programme) to "In Trace", you'll see the location.

eg. Using the above, a trace to 210.213.130.162 (PLDT Dilman) I see on the map, the route goes via 119.94.64.1 (Makati) and 122.2.175.190 (Mandaluyong City).
You may want to do something similar from your location to see how, wnad where, it goes.

A simple process, which is why I'm very surprised at the lack of knowledge of your local techs.
Or maybe not, as the PLDT installation guys who came to us, were surprised to see that I had "WiFi Monitor" app. on my phone, so I could walk around the house seeing what the wifi signal strength was in each room. They hadn't seen anything like it   :( :( :(

HTHs.

Peter
I'll give those apps a looksie.  Tina just got a new smart phone.  I'll load those on that and check them out.  Thanks for the info. 

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 04:22:47 AM »
Still here and read posts 2-3 times a week. Post only if I have something to add or to say "atta boy" to another. I try to welcome new members when I login. My connection to the PH is now to assist our niece with her tuition and exam costs. With any luck she will graduate from Adamson University next year, our tuition payments will stop and we'll visit with family to celebrate her graduation into full-fledged adulthood and the world of business. The next step? Waiting for Gloria's 401-K to mature in about 6 years so she can cash out and retire, me along with her. Until then we both work to support ourselves, hope that the politics of the day don't overwhelm us and try to enjoy life. I almost feel as though I visit the PH every day as Glo connects with family 2-5 times a day via Facebook Messenger. I enjoy seeing her sisters, nieces, nephews and of course my MIL using the video app. We bought Nanay a good cell phone a few months ago and have enjoyed helping her learn how to use it. I never know when I'm going to hear the cocks crowing incessantly in the background (something I don't miss) during their daily conversations. With this latest connection, I feel less like I miss the PH, but do look forward to visiting sometime next year and spending time in the bahay kubo drinking a few cold ones with my BIL and nephews.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline hoz

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 10:31:13 AM »
I've been very busy since July 4th. Had a fire in one of my junk rentals. Bullshit tenant decided to let her kids build a campfire in the basement. My son and I have been working to restore it.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 12:38:51 PM »
I'll give those apps a looksie.  Tina just got a new smart phone.  I'll load those on that and check them out.  Thanks for the info.

Joel.

Wala problema!

I'd been interested in how you get on with tracing the route out of your location, when you've time to check them.
And also how the (so-called) techs' reactions are, when you see them.  :) :) :)
Peter

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 09:48:01 AM »
Joel.

Wala problema!

I'd been interested in how you get on with tracing the route out of your location, when you've time to check them.
And also how the (so-called) techs' reactions are, when you see them.  :) :) :)
Peter
The techs showed up.  Went down the street a few blocks to where the "local junction box" of the ISP was located and fixed the issue there for us and our neighbors.  Some tech, while working on the box for other clients screwed up around 15 other connections.  That's pretty much what they told us.  Anyway, problem fixed and things are back to normal. 
I downloaded IP Tools.  That helped to a point.  Having trouble finding In Trace.  So still having downloaded that.  Tried using the Traceroute option in IP Tools, but that just runs and runs and doesn't seem to finish whatever it's trying to do. 

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »
The techs showed up.  Went down the street a few blocks to where the "local junction box" of the ISP was located and fixed the issue there for us and our neighbors.  Some tech, while working on the box for other clients screwed up around 15 other connections.  That's pretty much what they told us.  Anyway, problem fixed and things are back to normal. 
I downloaded IP Tools.  That helped to a point.  Having trouble finding In Trace.  So still having downloaded that.  Tried using the Traceroute option in IP Tools, but that just runs and runs and doesn't seem to finish whatever it's trying to do.

Seems likely LOL! Just blame the previous guy! But glad they sorted it out.

Regarding "InTrace". There was a link at the foot of "IPTools" opening screen. I clicked on it, downloaded the app and installed it.

Using the "TraceRoute" function of IPTools. It will attempt to connect to the remote address you provide. If it can't connect, it will retry forever. If I find this happening, I normally stop the trace and try another address, ie google.com.

There is a (free) Win10 programme named "WinTrace" which I use on my laptop.

This will give you something like this when tracing 'google.com':-
local ->   IP=   (deleted by me)          RESERVED
TTL= 1     IP=  (deleted by me)     19 ms  RESERVED
TTL= 2     IP=  (deleted by me)    12 ms  PHILIPPINES
TTL= 3     IP= 122.2.175.166      9 ms  PHILIPPINES
TTL= 4     IP= 210.213.131.58     9 ms  PHILIPPINES
TTL= 5     IP= 210.213.128.53     9 ms  PHILIPPINES
TTL= 6     IP= 210.213.133.101    8 ms  PHILIPPINES
TTL= 7     IP= 209.85.174.221    73 ms  UNITED STATES
TTL= 8     IP= 108.170.242.146   74 ms 
TTL= 9     IP= 209.85.244.37     73 ms  UNITED STATES
TTL= 10    IP= 216.239.35.224    83 ms  UNITED STATES
TTL= 11    IP= 209.85.142.165    74 ms  UNITED STATES
TTL= 12    IP= 209.85.142.202    73 ms  UNITED STATES
TTL= 13    IP= 108.170.241.1     73 ms 
TTL= 14    IP= 74.125.252.89     90 ms  UNITED STATES
TTL= 15    IP= 172.217.161.174   75 ms 
Normal end of trace

Picking an IP address, and using the map route function of InTrace, you'll see the geographical locations of each 'hop' of the route.

HTHs.

Peter

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 02:38:38 PM »
Joel.

A quick update.

Have a look at the developers website at <  https://www.dudarenko.net/projects    >

About number 7 on the listed apps is "Intrace" for Android and IOS download.

A word of caution for those who suffer from Russiaphobia. This guy ain't American. As all the Chinese software and hardware developers ain't either.  :)

Peter

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog