Author Topic: renting property  (Read 178 times)

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
renting property
« on: November 10, 2018, 12:37:43 AM »
We are thinking about moving to Dumaguete next spring and renting a house or apt.
I know how things work here in the U.S. But is there any thing that some of you that rent came across that I should be aware of when renting property in the Philippines.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: renting property
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »
Make sure everything in the house is up to you standards and works before signing the contract. In the three contracts I've had the renter was responsible not the landlord for fixing or replacing defective items. This includes things like wall sockets/light switches, plumbing issues will also be at your expense. Non working door knobs/locks will be replaced by you too. Some landlords might deduct part of the expense from the rent while others smile all the way to the bank knowing you're fixing their problems for the next tenant. Unless it is serious structural damage the landlords expect you the tenant to fix or replace it. Had one landlord that was a lawyer, we brought to his attention that the roof was leaking and he calmly told us to get it fixed. When asked if he was paying for the repairs he said no we would or have to move. We did have someone come and look at it and was told the damage was far greater than a small leak. Termite and rodent infestation had destroyed all the supporting structures of the roof and it was giving way. He didn't care when we told him as long as he could continue receiving rent payments. No such thing as preventive maintenance here, we moved the following month. We moved into a newer modern 9 unit apartment building owned by a FilAm, looked good, smelled good with fresh paint etc. but it was cosmetic only. Soon realized how poorly constructed these places are and the use of the cheapest materials available.  Have already had to replace faucets in the CR and kitchen along with three electrical switches/wall sockets that were shorting out. Also replace the deadbolt lock which had a key broken off in it at my expense. The landlord was well aware of this and never mentioned it. It's frustrating but is what it is. I know there are some who will say they have great landlords who will take care of everything no problem. I'm on my third rental property in 7 years and all three landlords lived by the same thought process, be at the tenants door at 8 am on the first of the month to collect the rent not to be seen or heard from again until the following month.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 12:47:43 AM »
We rented a condo in a decent building in a decent area back in the 1990s. It was on Roxas Blvd., close to the Grand Boulevard Hotel.

One unexpected thing we ran into, but there was common (at least then) was "3 months' deposit; 3 months' advance" requirement.  So we had to hand over 6 months' rent at the start.  And, as posted by medic, we were expected to repair everything. 

We left the place in better condition than we found it, but that did not stop the L/L from retaining all of our security deposit, saying that even such things as a toilet required replacement after we left.  Not much you can do about it.  They hold the money.  You can start a lawsuit to recover, I suppose, but I would not expect much good to come of that.

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 11:14:34 AM »
we rented our place through a real estate/property manager while we were away.  she asked for 2 months + 2 months.  When the lease was up and the tenant gone, she paid for tenants portion of the bills (water, electricity, assessment, etc) before  returning the deposit. i think renting through some reliable property managers will somewhat ensure they keep true to the contract (but again never a guarantee).

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 06:54:37 AM »
Have any of you had a problem with the price going up just because you are white?
We own some property on Bohol and I was not able to look at it until a price had been writen down.

How long do most leases last?

Are the utilities put under the renters name or under the onwers name?

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 08:17:00 AM »
Frosty the owner of the property would be the only one who would be able to hook up the electricity.  I've heard many expats that also get soaked by the landlord who will hook up his electrical line to your apartment, this happened to me but we have a house (in-laws and neighbors connected) and it was so bad that the electrical company told me to create another concrete post and start over so now I have a gate in between the posts, my bill went from 10,000 pesos no airconditioning to 3,000 pesos.   :(

Another issue I've come across on these forums is they don't like to give up their deposits and if you leave early and try to get out of your contract they'll report you to Immigration. 

Have you thought about owning your own condo?
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »
Have any of you had a problem with the price going up just because you are white?
We own some property on Bohol and I was not able to look at it until a price had been writen down.

How long do most leases last?

Are the utilities put under the renters name or under the onwers name?

Yes they tried it with me and again it was the lawyer owner from my previous post above. My wife did all the negotiating with the lawyer/owner. The first time he saw me he said he would have to raise the rent by two thousand pesos. I very politely said we have a signed contract and asked him if he was that corrupt in his practice. He turn beet red and didn't say anymore. Fortunately due to leaky roof and structural damage we voided the contract after a couple months and he actually gave back most of the deposit.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 04:16:11 AM »
Thanks for the info.

I have never lived in a condo but I might think about it.
we are planning to buy in the future, right now we are going to try living in the P.I. for about a year
before we make the commitment to buy land and build a house
I think if the right deal came along, for the right price, We would be interested in it.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog