Author Topic: Paper Work  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Paper Work
« on: December 28, 2018, 02:22:13 AM »
We are planning on moving to Dumaguete in May. I think the Kids will start school in June.
Dose anyone know what paper work I will need to
bring with us, so the kids can attend school?
I tried to look it up on line but can't find any useable information.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Paper Work
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 12:16:44 PM »
We are planning on moving to Dumaguete in May. I think the Kids will start school in June.
Dose anyone know what paper work I will need to
bring with us, so the kids can attend school?
I tried to look it up on line but can't find any useable information.

Frosty.

Before any useful advice or comments may be offered, a couple of questions first.

Are your kids Filipino, another nationality or dual citizens?
How old are they?
At what educational level are they?
Are they able to speak the local language/dialect?
Are you planning private or Government schooling for them?

The answers to the above will make a great difference as to where, and how, they are accepted into the education system here.

The best I can offer is to contact the Department of Education (DepEd) HQ, through their social media accounts, for a contact in Dumaguete. Then call and speak to that official directly.

Hope all goes well with your plans.

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 05:00:55 PM »
Forms 138 and 137. One is the report card and the other is a Good standing and moral statement from the previous school. These are the two required documents the school my wife teaches requires and that is a public elementary school. One would think it would be universal at all DepEd schools here however to be safe check with the new school district in advance.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 01:48:39 AM »
Both of the kids are dual citizens and my wife has reacquired her citizenship
they both only speak english

our oldest is 22 she has finished a 2 year Business degree an plans to enroll in
a Culinary Arts School in Dumaguete, we checked it out last summer it appears to
be a well run school.

the youngest is 13, 8th grade.
I'm thinking a private school we checked some International school and Siliman college
they have an elementary and high school also.

I'm not sure if we should apply for student visa or not because they both are dual citizens.
I'll get forms 137 and 138 filled out and take them with us.
if anyone comes across anything else let me know
thanks for the help.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 09:17:37 AM »
Public school is out of equation if they only speak English. Public schools are mostly taught in Tagalog now and some Taglish.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 08:19:53 AM »
Pretty much every college is taught in English. There are a few exceptions, but a vast majority are taught in English only.
The primary schools here(K-12) are very much dependent on the school.  When I got here, Tina's two boys were in public school.  They taught in English, except one day a week when they taught in waray waray(local dialect).  Then of course they had a class session of Tagalog.  But that was all in the lower "elementary" levels for both.  I worked with Tina for an immediate transfer to a private school(the one she was raised in) where they sorta did the same thing.  One day a week was waray waray then the rest in English plus the one session a day of Tagalog.  But, at 7th grade , the local Catholic Cathedral had their first level of education at their school and that is in English all day every day except for when teaching Tagalog.  That's where they've both been for 2 years now with the oldest on his 4th year. 
So you'll even have to be a touch careful when looking at the private schools.  They are not all the same.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 10:03:39 PM »
I have also been thinking about online school or home school for our youngest
I think she would do very well no matter where she go'es to school.

Is there anyone that home schools their kids?
I would like to hear both the good and bad of home schooling.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 08:12:18 AM »

We did not home-school in the traditional sense.

We "additional schooled".    Heavy on the literary classics, applied and martial sciences,   current events, and macro/micro economics.  At least an hour of instruction and an hour of reflection per day.  A daily dose of reality to offset numbing effects. 

Materials are every where for the motivated to find.  That was never a problem. 

For us the most difficult part was commitment and consistency.  Without those home-schooling can be detrimental.

Hope this helps.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »

We started using an online school from US before moving to Philippines.  That way the transition as it relates to school was seamless.  The kids had difficult time w/ it at first when in US because the subject work was more difficult and complete than the public school from our area in the US.  They have been using it for most of a year now and are able to proceed well.  In subjects they like and do well in it is ok to progress faster into the next grade levels.  When they have trouble the teachers contact them/us and work it out.

After moving we engaged several sports and activity coaches for extra activities.  Most of the coaches are eager to get any student that can be available when other kids are in school.  So this works really well.  The online makes scheduling activities very easy because our availability is easy.

I don't see any down side yet....

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 10:27:42 PM »
I've been looking into the online school,
my kids are not into sports but they are into music and the arts.
I not sure where that comes from the only thing I can play is the radio.
I like the idea of them involved with other students and learning to
live, work and go to school with other kids there age.