Author Topic: Looking at moving to the Philippines  (Read 887 times)

Offline Flyboy

Looking at moving to the Philippines
« on: December 28, 2018, 04:33:13 AM »
Hello Everyone,
My name is Jack and I have visited the Philippines for business and scuba diving about 8 times over the last 3 years, but only about 10 days at a time.  I am just now retiring at the ripe age of 62 and thinking of moving to Cebu to retire.  I am divorced, so it would just be myself.  I think I will come in Feb for about 30 days to Cebu (I have not visited Cebu yet) and see if I like the city.  I plan on finding a local person to show me around and where to shop.  Also, some different area's to live.   After the first week or so, if I like the city, I will be looking for a 2 bedroom place to rent.  I plan on moving in a few months.  I love to travel and scuba dive at different places around the world and usually travel somewhere about 7 to 10 days every 6 weeks or so. 

I have a couple of questions: 
- How is the best way to receive calls from the US and place calls back to the US?  I currently have Verizon, which works almost anywhere in the world, but at a cost of $10 per day.
- Will I need a throw away ticket because I am only getting a one way ticket to come?  I am not sure exactly how long I will be staying?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Jack

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
Re: Looking at moving to the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 08:44:10 AM »
Welcome aboard Jack. Glad to have you. I myself use Magic Jack. $35 / year. Unlimited calls to and from the US. The only catch though is you must activate it for the 1st time in the US. Renew after that anywhere.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
Hi Jack,

I also use Magicjack, it can be used anywhere that you have an internet connection.

At the check in for your flight to the Philippines they will ask to see that you have an onward flight segemnt. As a tourist you need to show that you will be elaving the Philippines, sometime. The easiest way is an onward ticket to some other destination in Asia. In the past I have used Air Asia, as they seem to be the cheapest one way tickets to places such as Bangkok or Hong Kong. Just have a printed copy of your ticket to show at the counter and they will let you board the flight to the Philippines.

Good luck and have fun.

Thomas

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »
Hi, Flyboy I have a feeling once you get here you'd want to retire and so if you're a Veteran you can qualify for the military retiree visa SRRV and no more Visa worries or hassles it can add up.

Another form of communication is Facebook so a good internet connection and video call.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 01:33:07 AM »
Hi Jack,
There are some phone apps that you can use.
If you don't get many calls, "Textfree"  is what I used over there, it gives your phone a US number and requires data or wifi.
It gives free texts and a few minutes of free talk time, and additional minutes of talk can be purchased.
Also, there is a way to talk free through Facebook and it is also through the cell phone.
My wife uses it to talk to her family all the time from the states.
I have no idea how to do it, but I'm sure you can get a local to get you set up.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 04:53:08 PM »
Hello Everyone,
My name is Jack and I have visited the Philippines for business and scuba diving about 8 times over the last 3 years, but only about 10 days at a time.  I am just now retiring at the ripe age of 62 and thinking of moving to Cebu to retire.  I am divorced, so it would just be myself.  I think I will come in Feb for about 30 days to Cebu (I have not visited Cebu yet) and see if I like the city.  I plan on finding a local person to show me around and where to shop.  Also, some different area's to live.   After the first week or so, if I like the city, I will be looking for a 2 bedroom place to rent.  I plan on moving in a few months.  I love to travel and scuba dive at different places around the world and usually travel somewhere about 7 to 10 days every 6 weeks or so. 

I have a couple of questions: 
- How is the best way to receive calls from the US and place calls back to the US?  I currently have Verizon, which works almost anywhere in the world, but at a cost of $10 per day.
- Will I need a throw away ticket because I am only getting a one way ticket to come?  I am not sure exactly how long I will be staying?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Jack
Jack, I have a TMOBILE account/phone and pay a flat rate every month.  As long as I can connect to a wifi I can make unlimited calls to the USA.   In addition, I can also connect to the local phone service signals for free data.  I have been using this for 6 years now and I cant imagine using anything else.   Really is a great deal

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 04:55:43 PM »
Additionally I still have the same USA number that I have had for the last 15 or so years.   People can all call me from the usa, just by dialing my US phone number.   It is a great way to be able to keep contact with friends, family, banks, etc etc etc...   Keeping your US phone number.

Offline Flyboy

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 02:08:51 AM »
THANK YOU!  Everyone that helped with the question on calling to and from the USA.   I have a T-Mobile, but did not know how well it worked.  Sounds like it works very well.  I think I will do the magicjack and take my T-Mobil phone with me and I should be set.  Thanks again everyone, and Nice to meet you!!
Jack

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 08:35:05 AM »
THANK YOU!  Everyone that helped with the question on calling to and from the USA.   I have a T-Mobile, but did not know how well it worked.  Sounds like it works very well.  I think I will do the magicjack and take my T-Mobil phone with me and I should be set.  Thanks again everyone, and Nice to meet you!!
Jack
Jack, make sure your phone has the capability to make calls using wifi.   On my samsung, the option I select is "Never use cellular network" , this allows you to call the usa for free.     If you want to use the local network for free, you would select "Cellular network preferred".    Using the cellular you cant make calls, but you can use data unlimited for other things :google maps, email, surfing etc...

Offline tikayem

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 02:48:14 PM »
Good way to communicate is yahoo messenger, you text or have video chat

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 04:08:54 PM »
I think I will come in Feb for about 30 days to Cebu (I have not visited Cebu yet) and see if I like the city.

Well, what did you think of it?

What we did was buy a local SIM card with prepaid mobile 4G data for cheap, and put it in a second phone (we had a cheap Android smartphone already). We then used that to book AirBnB, Grab, and make calls back home using Viber, WhatsApp, FBM etc. If you are connected to free Wifi then the calls don't even use your mobile data budget. You can of course then receive calls on your Philippines number, but most people would call via a free chatapp. Generally I found 4G to be available, even on some fairly remote islands, and free wifi was widely available.

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 12:52:39 AM »
p.s. forgot to mention a good tip. If you don't have a spare phone, and don't want to replace the SIM in your main phone, you can buy a local SIM with data and put it in a mobile hotspot device which now cost around 50. You then connect to the hotspot with your smartphone as if it's a Wifi hub. It's very convenient, especially when there are two of you in a room and you want to connect to the Net with multiple devices, make calls etc. If memory serves we got the SIM at Globe. Hope that helps!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog