Author Topic: Your usual breakfast?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Hank

Re: Your usual breakfast?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 08:30:07 PM »

Hank,

My breakfasts are normally quite sparse .. Works for me.

Peter

Yes, and this breakfast you describe surely sound healthy. Must say, it's good you include a measure of water with your breakfast. We westerners tend not to drink sufficient water each day at the best of times, let alone have a set routine of a good pint of water to start each day. It's a great idea, especially in the tropics, if you don't mind my saying. Naturally, the Aussie Harvest Oats also seem a great idea :-)  My breakfast of toast, peanut butter, fruit and coffee is similar to yours,  but I find it can get a bit monotonous sometimes. That's why I'm interested in what in general Expats in the Phils tend to do for brekkie. Some of the ones we've heard about do sound mighty tasty. They sure gave me some ideas. Haha.

Offline Colin

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living in Puerto Princesa, Palawan
    • The Philippine Journal
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »
When I am in the Philippines, 2-3 months a year at the moment, I would have either cereals or oats plus toast and marmalade. We have found a source of non sweetened bread. I bought a new bread machine just before we had to leave the Philippines in 2015 but have not got around to using it on our trips back. (The mains frequency is wrong for UK bread machines). I also drink a large glass of water both morning and evening. I am not great rice eater, I tend to stick to curry and casserole type dishes with rice, beef caldereta and caldereta cambing being my favourites.
Colin
Puerto Princesa, Palawan & London, UK

Offline Hank

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
  .. I would have either cereals or oats plus toast and marmalade. We have found a source of non sweetened bread .. I also drink a large glass of water both morning and evening. I am not great rice eater, I tend to stick to curry and casserole type dishes with rice, beef caldereta and caldereta cambing being my favourites.

Ah, interesting .. thanks Colin. Sounds healthy. It's good you've arranged for low-sugar bread, and the water twice a day is sensible.

Also perhaps interesting,  Wikipedia notes .. "Caldereta or Kaldereta is a goat meat stew from the Philippines. Variations of the dish use beef, chicken or pork. Commonly the goat meat is stewed with vegetables and a liver paste. Vegetables may include tomatoes, potatoes, olives, bell peppers and hot peppers; kaldereta sometimes includes tomato sauce. Caldereta's name derives from the Spanish word caldera meaning cauldron. The dish is similar to meat stews from the Iberian peninsula and was brought to the Philippines by the Spanish during their 300-year occupation. Kaldereta is usually served at special occasions, parties, and festivities."

Good luck regarding your archived postings Colin.

Offline Colin

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living in Puerto Princesa, Palawan
    • The Philippine Journal
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 04:49:32 PM »
My wife's sister is living in our house to look after it while we are away. When we are there she will cook Filipino breakfasts for my wife, and I will join in sometimes. My wife is an excellent cook and will cook UK/European style food most of the time.
Colin
Puerto Princesa, Palawan & London, UK

Offline Tim_L

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 12:08:39 PM »
I stick to traditional western breakfast foods. Eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, pancakes, french toast, biscuits and gravy, fruits, cereals. It all depends upon my mood of the day as to which one(s) I eat. More often then not, eggs, toast and coffee.
For some reason, I just cannot bring myself to eat non-breakfast foods for breakfast. ie. Rice, fish, pansit etc. Breakfast foods however, are great any time of the day.  :)

Offline Hank

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 10:05:49 AM »
I stick to traditional western breakfast foods. Eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, pancakes, french toast, biscuits and gravy, fruits, cereals. It all depends upon my mood of the day as to which one(s) I eat. More often then not, eggs, toast and coffee. For some reason, I just cannot bring myself to eat non-breakfast foods for breakfast. ie. Rice, fish, pansit etc. Breakfast foods however, are great any time of the day.  :)

Good on you Tim .. sounds a sensible plan. There's often a lot to be said for sticking with what one knows. And perhaps especially regarding something as important to a man as breakfast, though change can also be good.  But I'd also agree that cereals and the other breakfast foods are great at anytime of day. As a matter of fact, as it happens, just last night I awoke feeling hungry at 2am this morning, and so got up had a small bowl of three different cereal brands for a simple and healthy snack. Always works, and soon back to sleep again. No worries. Thoroughly agree.

Offline Lookio

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 04:08:11 AM »
I like eggs, toast, tomato and tea or coffee. Very simple but it works for me and wakes me up. Can't stay without breakfast at all, always eat.

Offline Hank

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 09:13:52 AM »
I like eggs, toast, tomato and tea or coffee. Very simple but it works for me and wakes me up. Can't stay without breakfast at all, always eat.

Yes, breakfast is important isn't it Lookio? And your eggs, toast and tomato sounds good. We love tomatoes too, but we find that fresh ones are sometimes not so easy to get in the Phils. Canned tomatoes are quite ok for cooking, but not so good in sandwiches or salads. Eggs are always enjoyable, except for those Phils balut eggs, which as you probably know in the Phils are a fertilized egg, usually a duck egg, incubated for a period of two to three weeks and then boiled or steamed. Have tried them, but they're not for me I'm afraid especially for breakfast  :o :)

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 10:52:26 AM »
Try to start off each day with fresh Buko Juice, then of course some freshly ground coffee!!   Breakfast depends on who is cooking, but it can be anything from Eggs and home fries, to: Paksiw, dried fish, soup with small clams, kinilaw etc... All but the Eggs and home fries are served with rice.    We usually have fruit in the house, so there will be a mango, or watermelon etc.. mixed in there

Offline Hank

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2019, 06:09:54 PM »

Try to start off each day with fresh Buko Juice, then of course some freshly ground coffee!!   Breakfast depends on who is cooking, but it can be anything from Eggs and home fries, to: Paksiw, dried fish, soup with small clams, kinilaw etc... All but the Eggs and home fries are served with rice.    We usually have fruit in the house, so there will be a mango, or watermelon etc.. mixed in there

Good on you jjcabgou. Sounds like you have a healthy and varied breakfast, with juice, coffee and fruit, and then the rest depending on who is cooking. Am wondering about the source of your coffee beans?  Are they locally grown? What variety of beans are they usually? Do you have any problems in obtaining a regular supply of beans? etc ..

For example, Wikipedia say, "Coffee production in the Philippines began as early as 1740 when the Spanish introduced coffee in the islands. It was once a major industry in the Philippines, and 200 years ago the Philippines was the world's fourth largest coffee producing nation.

However, 1889 saw a great decline following the arrival of coffee rust in the country, and an increased incidence of insect infestation. These elements virtually destroyed all coffee trees in Batangas. By 1891, coffee production in the country was reduced to 1/6 of its total production of two years earlier. During this period, Brazil regained its position as a major coffee producer.

Then, during the 1950s, the Philippine government, with assistance from Americans, introduced a variety of coffee to the country which is more resistant. Instant coffee began to be produced in commercial quantities which resulted to the increase of demand for coffee. Many farmers began shifting back to growing coffee in the 1960s."

Now, the Philippine local demand for coffee is high, with 100,000 metric tons of coffee consumed in the country every year. The Philippines is one of the few countries that produce the four main viable coffee varieties; Arabica, Liberica (Barako), Excelsa and Robusta. Currently 90 percent of coffee produced in the country is Robusta."

Thus, coffee seems to have had an interesting history in the Philippines. And, in other parts of the world coffee production is declining, due to falling annual rainfall, which doesn't seem to be a problem for the Philippines? If this is so,  seems that coffee could quite readily become a major world industry in the Phills once again. Interesting  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 06:18:12 PM by Hank »

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 04:51:40 PM »

Good on you jjcabgou. Sounds like you have a healthy and varied breakfast, with juice, coffee and fruit, and then the rest depending on who is cooking. Am wondering about the source of your coffee beans?  Are they locally grown? What variety of beans are they usually? Do you have any problems in obtaining a regular supply of beans? etc ..

For example, Wikipedia say, "Coffee production in the Philippines began as early as 1740 when the Spanish introduced coffee in the islands. It was once a major industry in the Philippines, and 200 years ago the Philippines was the world's fourth largest coffee producing nation.

However, 1889 saw a great decline following the arrival of coffee rust in the country, and an increased incidence of insect infestation. These elements virtually destroyed all coffee trees in Batangas. By 1891, coffee production in the country was reduced to 1/6 of its total production of two years earlier. During this period, Brazil regained its position as a major coffee producer.

Then, during the 1950s, the Philippine government, with assistance from Americans, introduced a variety of coffee to the country which is more resistant. Instant coffee began to be produced in commercial quantities which resulted to the increase of demand for coffee. Many farmers began shifting back to growing coffee in the 1960s."

Now, the Philippine local demand for coffee is high, with 100,000 metric tons of coffee consumed in the country every year. The Philippines is one of the few countries that produce the four main viable coffee varieties; Arabica, Liberica (Barako), Excelsa and Robusta. Currently 90 percent of coffee produced in the country is Robusta."

Thus, coffee seems to have had an interesting history in the Philippines. And, in other parts of the world coffee production is declining, due to falling annual rainfall, which doesn't seem to be a problem for the Philippines? If this is so,  seems that coffee could quite readily become a major world industry in the Phills once again. Interesting  :)
Yeah, I try to eat healthy I guess, lots of fruits, gulay and fish.  I get fresh whole coffee beans at the market about 5 minutes from my house.  All that you named are readily available.  I am not a fan of Barako, so I never purchase that one, but the rest I enjoy.  I use fresh carabao milk in my coffee.  Half and Half is impossible to get here, and I have found that carabao milk is fricken awesome in coffee :) 

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 05:12:37 PM »
Yeah, I try to eat healthy I guess, lots of fruits, gulay and fish.  I get fresh whole coffee beans at the market about 5 minutes from my house.  All that you named are readily available.  I am not a fan of Barako, so I never purchase that one, but the rest I enjoy.  I use fresh carabao milk in my coffee.  Half and Half is impossible to get here, and I have found that carabao milk is fricken awesome in coffee :)

Where you live you have coffee from Amadeo on one side and Batangas down the otherside of the ridge.  I like the Barako but also buy the Excelsia from Amadeo. I buy the coffee ready to use versus the beans in Amadeo.  No need for milk in mine.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog