Author Topic: Your usual breakfast?  (Read 403 times)

Offline Hank

Re: Your usual breakfast?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 08:30:07 PM »

Hank,

My breakfasts are normally quite sparse .. Works for me.

Peter

Yes, and this breakfast you describe surely sound healthy. Must say, it's good you include a measure of water with your breakfast. We westerners tend not to drink sufficient water each day at the best of times, let alone have a set routine of a good pint of water to start each day. It's a great idea, especially in the tropics, if you don't mind my saying. Naturally, the Aussie Harvest Oats also seem a great idea :-)  My breakfast of toast, peanut butter, fruit and coffee is similar to yours,  but I find it can get a bit monotonous sometimes. That's why I'm interested in what in general Expats in the Phils tend to do for brekkie. Some of the ones we've heard about do sound mighty tasty. They sure gave me some ideas. Haha.

Offline Colin

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living in Puerto Princesa, Palawan
    • The Philippine Journal
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »
When I am in the Philippines, 2-3 months a year at the moment, I would have either cereals or oats plus toast and marmalade. We have found a source of non sweetened bread. I bought a new bread machine just before we had to leave the Philippines in 2015 but have not got around to using it on our trips back. (The mains frequency is wrong for UK bread machines). I also drink a large glass of water both morning and evening. I am not great rice eater, I tend to stick to curry and casserole type dishes with rice, beef caldereta and caldereta cambing being my favourites.
Colin
Puerto Princesa, Palawan & London, UK

Offline Hank

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
  .. I would have either cereals or oats plus toast and marmalade. We have found a source of non sweetened bread .. I also drink a large glass of water both morning and evening. I am not great rice eater, I tend to stick to curry and casserole type dishes with rice, beef caldereta and caldereta cambing being my favourites.

Ah, interesting .. thanks Colin. Sounds healthy. It's good you've arranged for low-sugar bread, and the water twice a day is sensible.

Also perhaps interesting,  Wikipedia notes .. "Caldereta or Kaldereta is a goat meat stew from the Philippines. Variations of the dish use beef, chicken or pork. Commonly the goat meat is stewed with vegetables and a liver paste. Vegetables may include tomatoes, potatoes, olives, bell peppers and hot peppers; kaldereta sometimes includes tomato sauce. Caldereta's name derives from the Spanish word caldera meaning cauldron. The dish is similar to meat stews from the Iberian peninsula and was brought to the Philippines by the Spanish during their 300-year occupation. Kaldereta is usually served at special occasions, parties, and festivities."

Good luck regarding your archived postings Colin.

Offline Colin

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living in Puerto Princesa, Palawan
    • The Philippine Journal
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 04:49:32 PM »
My wife's sister is living in our house to look after it while we are away. When we are there she will cook Filipino breakfasts for my wife, and I will join in sometimes. My wife is an excellent cook and will cook UK/European style food most of the time.
Colin
Puerto Princesa, Palawan & London, UK

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog