Author Topic: Any easy way for a Fil-Am family to live in the Philippines?  (Read 427 times)

Offline burnt_dinuguan

Any easy way for a Fil-Am family to live in the Philippines?
« on: March 27, 2019, 10:23:57 AM »
We got ourselves in a jam here guys and need some advice. I am from the USA and an immigrant here. Wife is Filipino. We live in the Philippines. But I thought, as many guys do, to get my wife US citizenship. Bad move. For many reasons. But I will only mention one here. We returned home to the Philippines on our final trip to live here permanently. Thought all would be perfect in the world. Only one problem, me, the foreigner, is the only one allowed to live here. Not my wife, who is from here. Nor our kids. They are all currently under balikbayan exemption, but that will expire soon. And I would hate to see my Filipino wife and kids arrested and put into a Philippines prison for overstaying foreigners! We looked into doing tourist visa, but... Listen, I am not bragging. I am a pretty wealthy guy. I mean, I am a millionaire. But tourist visas would be over 20,000 bucks a month. That is twice my salary. So... not possible. There must be SOMETHING we can do? Anyone ever encounter this situation before? Any advice helps. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:37:34 AM by burnt_dinuguan »

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
Re: Any easy way for a Fil-Am family to live in the Philippines?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 01:10:05 AM »
Have your wife and kids go to the DFA (Dept of Foreign Affairs). Take the oath of citizenship, pay $50. Re-acquire citizenship under RA 9225.

You can also do it stateside at the Philippine Embassy.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline User444

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 02:13:43 AM »
If you need some more time, jump on a plane to Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia with the family and enter the PH on the balikbayan visa for another year. 18,000 pesos for the flights can get you another year to plan.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 07:50:21 AM »
WOW! 20,000 bucks a month would be 1,040,000 php per month, that would mean you have a lot of kids, since visa average cost is about 2,000 php per month.   As suggested get your spouse and children dual citizenship if eligible.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 11:45:35 AM »
Former PHL citizens are eligible for a 13g permanent resident visa if your wife does not want to apply for dual citizenship.  (Under certain situations tax reasons would be one reason not to want dual citizenship.)

Also, after the 1 year Balikbayan privilege is up she can extend her stay as a tourist for up to 2 more years.  Go talk to immigration or find a travel agent that deals with immigration and can take care of this for a fee.  (Probably worth paying the fee since it's your first time and based on your OP you seem a little confused about what is possible.)