Author Topic: New member says Hi  (Read 1378 times)

Offline AsiaExpat

New member says Hi
« on: April 02, 2019, 06:22:56 AM »
Hi all - New member checking in. Iíve been back in the US for 2 years after 15 years in Hong Kong, during which I made numerous visits to the Philippines for work and vacation. My Filipina wife and I are currently living in North Carolina.

Retirement is not far off and weíve been giving a lot of thought to the Philippines as our destination. So Iím looking forward to learning as much as I can from those who know in order to help us make informed decisions about our possible future home. My wife is from Bacolod but we are open about exactly where we might end up. Thanks in advance!

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: New member says Hi
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 10:14:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum AsiaExpat.

If you are considering a move back to the Phils, you will find many here who have made the move and have lots to offer. 

I lived there for a few years, but not after 2002, so, apart from a couple of visits back, I am a bit out of touch.  Mt Filipina wife came to Canada with me (west coast of British Columbia) in 2002 and she does not have much interest in moving back to the Phils.  Okay to visit.

We were in North Carolina a couple of years ago.  Lots of nice places there.  We have family in Boone, so we get there once in awhile.  Our son was there last summer and will probably be there again this summer.

Enjoy your time on the forum!

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 08:41:29 AM »
Welcome AsiaExpat.  There is a lot of information already in the forum, but if you cannot find something that you desire knowledge on, please just ask.  There are more than a few of us on this site who have made the move.  And we are from a lot of different places in the Philippines. 

Look forward to reading your posts.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 03:40:32 PM »
My Filipina wife came to Canada with me (west coast of British Columbia) in 2002 and she does not have much interest in moving back to the Phils.  Okay to visit.

My other half is the same - she really does not want to go back to Philippines full-time. I wonder how common that is? It surprised me as it's her home. Still, I'm fine with it - realized being a "part-timer" suits me best.

And welcome to the forum AsiaExpat!!

Offline AsiaExpat

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 12:44:18 AM »
My other half is the same - she really does not want to go back to Philippines full-time. I wonder how common that is? It surprised me as it's her home. Still, I'm fine with it - realized being a "part-timer" suits me best.

And welcome to the forum AsiaExpat!!

Thanks for the welcome messages.

Coincidentally we are coming to the same conclusion - splitting time between the RP and US might be best for us.

Offline User444

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 04:22:32 AM »
What are the benefits of splitting your time? My friend does that but it seems like airfare 3 times a year, maintaining 2 cars, acquaintances you see every now and again, having two houses, and all the stuff in the houses would be a lot to handle.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 08:32:05 AM »
Hi all - New member checking in. Iíve been back in the US for 2 years after 15 years in Hong Kong, during which I made numerous visits to the Philippines for work and vacation. My Filipina wife and I are currently living in North Carolina.

Retirement is not far off and weíve been giving a lot of thought to the Philippines as our destination. So Iím looking forward to learning as much as I can from those who know in order to help us make informed decisions about our possible future home. My wife is from Bacolod but we are open about exactly where we might end up. Thanks in advance!

Ask anything you like.  Most of the forum members are not shy,  and will share ideas about what they think on anything you ask.  Sounds like you have already spent time in Asia and have knowledge also that others an get benefits from.

Retirement is in itself A big deal,  maybe more of a change then moving to a different country. 

I read later in this thread about if to split time and live in several locations,  but only part of the time each year.  For me it would depend on what a person wants to do in retirement,  what hobbies,  and so on.  I know folks that are retired and split between two or more locations.   Others who still work but must travel for part of the year.   And yet others who have committed to one location or another.  Whatever you decide it for sure will end up different than planned.

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 10:50:54 PM »
What are the benefits of splitting your time? My friend does that but it seems like airfare 3 times a year, maintaining 2 cars, acquaintances you see every now and again, having two houses, and all the stuff in the houses would be a lot to handle.

For some, who live in a cold climate part of U.S. or Canada, splitting time allows one to have winters in the Phils and summers back in Canada, U.S., or wherever.

One reason my wife won't go back is she has taken to the climate here.  She likes some cool weather.  Of the Phils, she says "too hot all the time".   But that's not universal.  I lived with a Filipina gf in Vancouver for a few years and in winter we would fight over the thermostat.  She'd keep sneaking it up to 80 degrees.  Then we lived in LA for a few years.  Even LA winters she found cold!   She's been back in the Phils for years.  Partly because of her career, but also because she likes the weather there.  I adapted to it, but never really liked it year round.  Here, I like to swing an axe and cut up five cords of wood for our winter fuel.  I cut the wood in 40-degree weather in winter.  I could simply not manage to spend hours wielding an 8-lb. maul, a 10-lb. sledge, driving wedges into the tough stuff, etc. in 80+ degree heat.  Some must be capable of sustained, vigorous activity in such temperatures, but I am not made for it. 

Our venerable leader Lee spent years living in Florida, with 4 months a year in a condo in Cebu, and seemed quite content with that arrangement. 

One does not necessarily have to have 2 houses, 2 cars, etc.  There are various possibilities, including a house shared with family in the Phils, 2 condos, renting at one or both ends, etc.  If one's time in the Phils is spent in a large city, a car might not be an asset.  When I lived in Quezon City full-time, we had a car and driver (actually, due to "color coding" we needed 2 cars).  I never liked driving myself in Manila and coping with traffic, parking, etc.  It was okay with a driver.  I usually only drove my own car if leaving Manila for the province.

Offline MotorSarge

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 02:31:23 AM »
I can't wait for the obstacles to be over and be able to do that.
MS

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 08:15:36 PM »

I can only answer for myself...

Basic reasons: 1) Climate 2) Family 3) Healthcare 4) Like UK.

Philippines, for me, is a great place to take a break for 1-3 months, do some diving, get some sun and do a few mallathons, but I simply would not want to be there all year round, based on my experience (I touched on these points in some previous, lengthy posts so won't repeat).

On the cons you mentioned they don't really apply in our case. 1) I use Grab and AirBnB a lot in Philippines so don't have a house or car there - I also don't have a car here in UK. 2) We would only go once a year so just one round trip flight. 3) We travel light - usually carry on only, although there is the Pasalubong Problem (which we solve by shipping a box for larger things) - so not a lot of stuff.

Even if we did move to Philippines full-time I think we'd not run a car there or own a house - I'd keep the house in UK and rent in Phils. Just IMHO.

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 08:20:13 PM »
For some, who live in a cold climate part of U.S. or Canada, splitting time allows one to have winters in the Phils and summers back in Canada, U.S., or wherever.

Yep.

One reason my wife won't go back is she has taken to the climate here.  She likes some cool weather.  Of the Phils, she says "too hot all the time". 

Yep, again. :)

Our venerable leader Lee spent years living in Florida, with 4 months a year in a condo in Cebu, and seemed quite content with that arrangement. 

Maximum 1 month so far but I think this would work for us. I think I'd max out at 3 months though.

One does not necessarily have to have 2 houses, 2 cars, etc.  There are various possibilities, including a house shared with family in the Phils, 2 condos, renting at one or both ends, etc.  If one's time in the Phils is spent in a large city, a car might not be an asset.  When I lived in Quezon City full-time, we had a car and driver (actually, due to "color coding" we needed 2 cars).  I never liked driving myself in Manila and coping with traffic, parking, etc.  It was okay with a driver.  I usually only drove my own car if leaving Manila for the province.

Spot on.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 12:00:38 PM »
I'm a FilAm, grewup in California. I always knew I would retire in the Philippines pemanently, because maintaining two homes and assests would not be practical financially upon retirement, more so when I took an early retirement at age 49. Working up to the age of 55 or beyond 65 just did not appeal to me.
Been retired in the Phillipines 20 yrs and happy and content with our lifestyle here.
Done with all of the traveling and now mainly stay at home at my old age and with all the aches and pain due to my old age of 70.
We're pretty much content and secure with our lifestyle here in the Philippines.

"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline AsiaExpat

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 09:01:09 PM »
The responses have provided a lot of food for thought. Thanks.

For me the attraction of splitting time between the US and Philippines is the prospect of a change in scenery when you need it. There are some activities that I can only enjoy in the US, so I would want to be here during the parts of the year that are most conducive to those activities, but I am certain I would look forward to a change in scenery before too long. Likewise, after several months in the RP, I would look forward to getting back to the US.

So I am considering ideas like buying a home (single family home, condo/townhouse, or apartment - TBD) in the US that I could lease or put on AirBnb when I was in the RP, where I would rent. So this lifestyle could to some extent be self-financing.

Obviously there are numerous details to be worked out but that's where I'm at now.

Thanks again for the responses. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:29:16 AM by AsiaExpat »

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 12:49:09 PM »

For me the attraction of splitting time between the US and Philippines is the prospect of a change in scenery when you need it. There are some activities that I can only enjoy in the US, so I would want to be here during the parts of the year that are most conducive to those activities, but I am certain I would look forward to a change in scenery before too long. Likewise, after several months in the RP, I would look forward to getting back to the US.

So I am considering ideas like buying a home (single family home, condo/townhouse, or apartment - TBD) in the US that I could lease or put on AirBnb when I was in the RP, where I would rent. So this lifestyle could to some extent be self-financing.

Obviously there are numerous details to be worked out but that's where I'm at now.

My uncle does a form of that.  But he's up in Michigan during the summers and Florida in the winters.  His condo is in a setup where the management will run the "airbnb" setups for him while he's in Michigan in his home.  His place is not too far from Orlando and families coming from out of state will rent his condo when going to Disney World for summer trips.  Works out well for him.  He only needs to rent it about 4 weeks during the summer and it takes care of his condo fees for the year pretty much.  He gets more than that usually.  But it is a nice setup with his condo association.  So an idea for you if your looking for a condo to see if they allow, and/or will work with that type of setup.  Also make sure either the condo association offers storage or there is a self storage near by to put your stuff in when not at the condo. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 12:16:08 AM »

I think this sounds like a decent plan.

One thing to consider - you don't want to be in a situation where you *can't* return due to an incumbent tenant. It's cool if you can come and go as you please without having to get the timing right around tenants. Either you have a separate place for tenants, or you can exist in situ with the tenant if there's a self-contained suite. We went for the latter option because it's cheaper and we only rent out the suite to people we know personally. That way they act as cat-sitter and house sitter while we are away, but also contribute a decent wedge per month in rent, and we can come and go as we please.

As you say it's all in the details - and the details can make a big difference. For example with our arrangement we can earn up to £7,500 *tax-free* rent under the UK govs rent a room scheme, whereas if we had bought a buy-to-let we would have clobbered for an eye-watering stamp duty surcharge, plus buy-to-let mortgages are no longer deductible thanks to George Osborne, and then you would be clobbered again for capital gains tax (28% for residential property) when you sold the buy-to-let! You are in US so obviously your specific details will be different...

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog